K-5 Officially Announced :D

At last, official released :)
Now still have to wait another 1 or 2 months before can see at store :sweatsm:

banner_1.jpg

banner_2.jpg

I hope the AF is on par with the competition and the DC motor will be more successful than SDM.

When Pentax is out of the red I hope they give some more Limited Lenses...

Anyone has any ideas what is this for the new Lens 18-135mm
* Direct Curent (DC) motor for quick, quiet autofocus
is this a new in lens motor thats different from the SDM?

K-5 vs K-7

Other than what K-7 already has, K-5 has some improvement on the following:

• New CMOS sensor with integrated A/D converter and 16.3 MP (4928 x 3264) (hope its high ISO performance is on par of or better than Kx)
  • Noise reduction configurable per ISO
  • 7.0 fps.
  • New SAFOX IX+ 11 point autofocus with higher light sensitivity (larger light intake). "Complete rehaul and faster and more accurate".
  • ISO 80 to 51200 (standard is 100 to 12800).
  • Full HD video with 1920x1080 25fps.
  • HDR with image alignment and adjustable equalizing parameter.
  • Golden rule grid and scale grid in LV.
  • Electronic horizon for roll (K-7 also has) and pitch (in K-5 only).
  • NR (Noise Reduction) function, with a choice of Auto, On and Off modes (thank you Pentax!)
  • Cross process mode

My logic tell me, if K5 can push ISO to 51200, they must have improved ISO 100 to 12800 :)

It's probably something newly developed by Pentax. Don't think it's another SDM type motor, otherwise it won't be called DC I guess. Based on DPR, the lens features a rotation-free mechanism to keep the focus ring stationary. But our DA*1650/50135/60250 and etc also have non-rotational focusing rings :dunno: Let's hope Pentax would have an official clearer statement about this new design :)

Here is the patent about this DC motor driven stuff from Hoya:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20090323208.pdf

Last edited:

It's probably something newly developed by Pentax. Don't think it's another SDM type motor, otherwise it won't be called DC I guess. Based on DPR, the lens features a rotation-free mechanism to keep the focus ring stationary. But our DA*1650/50135/60250 and etc also have non-rotational focusing rings :dunno: Let's hope Pentax would have an official clearer statement about this new design :)

Could be a joined developement with Tokina... Since Tokina also coming out with BIM lens.. anyway the word "SDM" kinda make ppl uneasy, a change of name is good...:bsmilie:

Where is my dual card slot? Haiz... No more le.

[*]Electronic horizon for roll (K-7 also has) and pitch (in K-5 only).

Whoa...This one is special...

Pics or it didn't happen. :bsmilie:

Sensor shift still in there? I never did see it in action at the outings... :think:

Where is my dual card slot? Haiz... No more le.

I'd rather it has one card slot only so they can keep the body as compact as possible :) You can get a 32gb SD card if you like to take a lot photos in one trip :cool:

With this and N's D7000, could the D7000 entice me to change camp? Or stick with the evil side???

I really like the custom ISO NR.

iso2.jpg

iso1.jpg