k-5 and FA31mm enroute to japan

ayuready

Apr 7, 2010
I had experienced severe back focusing with my k-5 and could not rectified even with the maximum micro adjust setting. So thought better to send it in while it is still under warranty. Was told it will take 4-5 week. :cry:

Did not realise it as I always thought i was my shooting problem when photos was not tack sharp and was still acceptable as I mostly use 2.8

Done some controlled test and noticed the back focusing issue across all 3 lens at wide open. Emjay technician said it is likely a camera issue as all lenses are back focusing at the same time. Not sure if the firmware got anything to do with it...

Now only can play with my MX and I-10...

maybe a E-PM1 will be nice =p

Sorry to hear that - I have not experienced such problems with my K-5 even when shooting at f/1.4 on the FA 50mm..

did not notice it previously also.

Could be my high tolerance and lack of confidence in my own skills haha therefore did not suspect the camera and lens till recently.

Anyway I have confidence that I will learn more about my camera when they return from Sumo-Land.

As long as I can have my camera before Nov, I will be happy. Do not want to bring a film or point and shoot to europE!

i sent my k-x and FA 31 to japan before and got them back after 4 weeks..so you should be getting the lens and cam ard 4 weeks or so ba..

but if all 3 lenses are back focusing..how come you do not need to send all 3 in?

The technician say if all 3 are back focusing at the same time, probably is a camera calibration that is beyond the degree of allowance.
So maybe that why only send 1.

Another theory is 3 FA lens are heavy and add to shipping weight and insurance? hahah

Bro, care to share what happened previously to ur K-x and lens?

For me i am pretty ok to wait, as long as i know reliable support is there when i need it. Better to send to japan then try to be fix locally by untrained hands.

I owned my K5 and new 18-135mm for 1 week before I noticed the K-5 LCD had a problem and the lens had some dust in it. They've been in Japan for 7 weeks so far, with no call from emjay saying it'll be back soon.

It's been so long I'm wondering if I will get my 2 months back as far as warranty is concerned.

I almost forget I even bought them sometimes.

May I know how to check if mine has back focus problems too? Thanks

I had experienced severe back focusing with my k-5 and could not rectified even with the maximum micro adjust setting. So thought better to send it in while it is still under warranty. Was told it will take 4-5 week. :cry:

Did not realise it as I always thought i was my shooting problem when photos was not tack sharp and was still acceptable as I mostly use 2.8

Done some controlled test and noticed the back focusing issue across all 3 lens at wide open. Emjay technician said it is likely a camera issue as all lenses are back focusing at the same time. Not sure if the firmware got anything to do with it...

Now only can play with my MX and I-10...

maybe a E-PM1 will be nice =p

May I know how to check if mine has back focus problems too? Thanks

if you are getting sharp pictures from your camera + lens under common shooting conditions, chances are, its fine so don't worry too much abt it.

as TS pointed out, he was getting consistent OOF pix from all his lenses. in that case, better to send back to japan and let the factory techs have a good look at it.

I owned my K5 and new 18-135mm for 1 week before I noticed the K-5 LCD had a problem and the lens had some dust in it. They've been in Japan for 7 weeks so far, with no call from emjay saying it'll be back soon.

It's been so long I'm wondering if I will get my 2 months back as far as warranty is concerned.

I almost forget I even bought them sometimes.

You better chase them for it.

Just remember my k-5 had the alignment issue with the electronic level but never gotten to service it since I do not use that function. Just emailed them to include that for fixing As well. The current Mr Cheong seems pretty responsive and courteous. Hope my set come back soon.

For James, my photos was always soft then recently hand itchy try the "battery test" then found the back focus issue then notice it was beyond the micro adjust setting hence sent it in.

Bro, care to share what happened previously to ur K-x and lens?

For me i am pretty ok to wait, as long as i know reliable support is there when i need it. Better to send to japan then try to be fix locally by untrained hands.

my FA31 got some back focusing issue...so tats why they have to send the lens and my k-x to japan to calibrate :)

Sent my FA31 for servicing last month as it could not focus anymore (think some screw inside the lens was loose).
Just received a call from Emjay told me it would cost $300+ to repair the lens! :eek:
I told the person my lens is still under warranty so why would I need to pay.. he sounded slightly confused and answered he will check and let me know again ;(
Sad to say I am disappointed with the after-sales service.. hoping to hear some positive news when they call me again.

Sent my FA31 for servicing last month as it could not focus anymore (think some screw inside the lens was loose).
Just received a call from Emjay told me it would cost $300+ to repair the lens! :eek:
I told the person my lens is still under warranty so why would I need to pay.. he sounded slightly confused and answered he will check and let me know again ;(
Sad to say I am disappointed with the after-sales service.. hoping to hear some positive news when they call me again.

u better start digging out your receipt in case they ask for it. the purchase date is the best "proof" that it is under warranty.

u better start digging out your receipt in case they ask for it. the purchase date is the best "proof" that it is under warranty.
I have already emailed them a copy of the receipt a day after I sent it in for repair. Hope they dont chut any stunt :eek:

I have already emailed them a copy of the receipt a day after I sent it in for repair. Hope they dont chut any stunt :eek:

if u have receipt, they won't lah... i think they're just sotong and didn't match your email to your case ref. :bsmilie:

just make sure they understand that the item is under warranty can already.

Last edited:
I was wondering whether the split screen can solve the issue,
as back focusing is actually a incorrect focus guess made by the camera.

if you can see from the split screen by how much it splits off, I guess you can easily manual overide the focus by turn the focus ring in a correct position, (as you found the split in the focus screen go off.)

I was wondering whether the split screen can solve the issue,
as back focusing is actually a incorrect focus guess made by the camera.

if you can see from the split screen by how much it splits off, I guess you can easily manual overide the focus by turn the focus ring in a correct position, (as you found the split in the focus screen go off.)

if lens is under warranty, why bother?

FA31 doesn't have quick shift either. it'll be using a very expensive AF lens as an MF lens.

finally receive news that my camera is back in action.

haha got to find time to go down and collect!

yea finally! after a month of waiting...Just in time for the event I'm going to shoot!

Wa.... Got a miss call from mj, think my cam is back too!!! Will call back later to confirm
Haha happy too!!!