K-30 Hands-on Review on Pentax Singapore Facebook ...

I look forward to better AF tracking. Any comments on that?

The rubber cover texture and white body reminds me of Macross Zero VF-0s, anime fans will know

If i did not see wrongly, there is AF during video mode right?

legoladd said:
The rubber cover texture and white body reminds me of Macross Zero VF-0s, anime fans will know

Gerwalk mode for the win.

Sorry guys for not able to post much here or on facebook. Just too busy and lazy doing anything other than handling the kids in the past two days. Good thing is that school holiday started today, so I might have more free time after work :)

Will update some new photos and thoughts about the camera on facebook tonight.

what i most feared is that it will take quite some skills to get pentax's lenses. know any shop that sell pentax dslr and lense @ reasonable price in singapore bro ?

what i most feared is that it will take quite some skills to get pentax's lenses. know any shop that sell pentax dslr and lense @ reasonable price in singapore bro ?

U worry too much . Do check out our pentax price guide .
We usually got no problem getting our gear . Except approval from wifey ..... Lol

Supersimon27 said:
U worry too much . Do check out our pentax price guide .
We usually got no problem getting our gear . Except approval from wifey ..... Lol

ohh alright. thanks bro. sorry im still a beginner here. been playing around with my friend's dslr until now. would like to try pentax K30 as my first dslr, thou im still unsure if i shld get this or a EOS 600D/D5100.

ohh alright. thanks bro. sorry im still a beginner here. been playing around with my friend's dslr until now. would like to try pentax K30 as my first dslr, thou im still unsure if i shld get this or a EOS 600D/D5100.

Comparing w/ EOS 600D or Nikon D5100, K-30 is a nobrainer imo. It got weather sealed body (very important here in SG, but I guess you know that), inbody shake reduction, 100% coverage pentaprism viewfinder (so much bigger than those in 600D/5100D which are penta-mirrors w/ less coverage and magnification), two e-dials (the other two cameras only got one e-dial), auto focus adjustment for up to 20 lenses ... And all these features only mid to pro level cameras have while most entry level cameras are lagging. But you are getting them all in a small and compact K-30 :)

Don't forget that Pentax is the only company which offers weather sealed lenses for less than $200, and there are better (of course more expensive) ones you can upgrade to. I'm sure someone would tell you that Pentax stuff are hard to get. But this is not true anymore here in SG. We probably have the best prices for Pentax cameras/lenses in the whole world here in Singapore, and you can get pretty much every lens/camera currently in production, not to say millions of M42/PK mount lenses on second hand market. Better yet, any of these would become an IS or VR lens (in Canon/Nikon's term) when you mounted on the K-30!

And another thing I have to tell ya, we have the best photographers' community here amoung SG Pentaxians ;)

---
I think I'd get a few more 'likes' by typing so many words here ;p

Last edited:

in terms of sensor, i think 7D and D7000 might be a better comparison than 600D and D5100...

just look at all the features and price, compare, and decide what works best for you.

but if u're brand conscious, go with the major brands - i'm not trying to be offensive. its a fact - you should be comfortable and have confidence in your equipment. if brand matters, go with the brand u're most comfortable with. its your money and there's nothing wrong with that.

for most pple in this forum, that brand happens to be Pentax :) so if u ask the question "which one should i get?" here, the answer is obvious. :)

I can shoot from a moving speedboat and while handheld photograph waterski atheletes moving at 30+ mph using the pentax k20d which is many years old. You will have a fun time with the more advanced K30. It gives Pro features at entry level prices.

522855_10150902359933166_835728165_9883827_1601565218_n.jpg

579963_10150902375558166_835728165_9883974_188405818_n.jpg

577294_10150902367858166_835728165_9883914_1926081969_n.jpg

Try doing the above with a 600D or D5100 :)

Last edited:
Haha... I started out not knowing anything about Pentax and now I'm hooked! :D

TBH, in my own opinion, the ONLY reason you should consider the Canikon camp is IF you wish to have a full frame.. Otherwise, don't kid yourself about choosing them over Pentax when it comes to choosing APS-C DSLR..

Community-wise? I've no experience with other camps but I'm not gonna kid myself or you here; Pentax community has got to be the best around. Very "tight"... Haha!

"And another thing I have to tell ya, we have the best photographers' community here amoung SG Pentaxians"

I second this, Frank :)

Last edited:

FengWei has summed it up very well.

Availability of lenses and stuff - no real issue. They are avaliable from some of the better shops.
In fact when I say better, they really are the better ones in terms of service and price (ie. SLR Rev, OP, MSC, Manly ).
Singapore has become some sort of 'pirate bay' for Pentax over the past few years.
We've got some of the most competitive prices for original Pentax stuff and the local distro has not been shy to slash prices of the cameras when need be (esp. near end of their product lifecycle).
We are also some of the first here to get the newly released stuff outside Japan itself. (even US lags behind)

Features functions - already covered by Fengwei.
You don't get anywhere near what you get on a Pentax camera with a like priced or often more expensive competing brand.
100% viewfinder, Pentaprism (ie. brighter), changeable focus screen.
5 stop bracketing
WR and cheap WR lenses (better more expensive WR lenses avaliable too if budget allows)
Focus peaking
More buttons for fast access (compared to other entry level)
On-camera Shake Reduction; On camera focus motor (no lens with/without focus motor type confusion)
Build quality (just feel the camera, the weight of the dials and knobs, compared to a 600D)
lots more......

Community - close knit; friendly; real people
Not some name without a face lurking on the forums to make themselves feel better by putting others down. (sadly rather common on CS, esp on sections like newbie section)
Got a problem, just ask.
Need some tips, look for some guidance during the outings.
Need some exotic hard to find lens, look for FW :D

All cameras can take very nice pictures nowadays. All will have enough lenses for the general user.
Above that, value for money and community, Pentax is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I can shoot from a moving speedboat and while handheld photograph waterski atheletes moving at 30+ mph using the pentax k20d which is many years old. You will have a fun time with the more advanced K30. It gives Pro features at entry level prices.

522855_10150902359933166_835728165_9883827_1601565218_n.jpg

579963_10150902375558166_835728165_9883974_188405818_n.jpg

577294_10150902367858166_835728165_9883914_1926081969_n.jpg

Try doing the above with a 600D or D5100 :)

mind sharing your settings?

Whats the street pricing?
I got a friend interested in getting one

fengwei said:
Comparing w/ EOS 600D or Nikon D5100, K-30 is a nobrainer imo. It got weather sealed body (very important here in SG, but I guess you know that), inbody shake reduction, 100% coverage pentaprism viewfinder (so much bigger than those in 600D/5100D which are penta-mirrors w/ less coverage and magnification), two e-dials (the other two cameras only got one e-dial), auto focus adjustment for up to 20 lenses ... And all these features only mid to pro level cameras have while most entry level cameras are lagging. But you are getting them all in a small and compact K-30 :)

Don't forget that Pentax is the only company which offers weather sealed lenses for less than $200, and there are better (of course more expensive) ones you can upgrade to. I'm sure someone would tell you that Pentax stuff are hard to get. But this is not true anymore here in SG. We probably have the best prices for Pentax cameras/lenses in the whole world here in Singapore, and you can get pretty much every lens/camera currently in production, not to say millions of M42/PK mount lenses on second hand market. Better yet, any of these would become an IS or VR lens (in Canon/Nikon's term) when you mounted on the K-30!

And another thing I have to tell ya, we have the best photographers' community here amoung SG Pentaxians ;)

---
I think I'd get a few more 'likes' by typing so many words here ;p

thanks bro ! you helped me alot ! im already 80% decided to get k30, but im still quite worried bout affordable places for pentax lenses. any recommendation ? thank you ! :)

well, since according to my knowledge. nikon and canon are more mainstream. no offence to everyone. im still quite a beginner here.