K-01 Unboxing ...

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
I'm sure I wasn't the first one who got the coolest camera in town, but I'm still very happy to get hold on mine today :)

Since I've had black, silver or even white color cameras before, this time I went for a yellow one, and I feel it's the best looking K-01 among all three color options. Here are some photos I took when I opened up the box:

The box looks really nice, much better looking than all boxes for previous Pentax dSLR cameras:

K01_Box_1.jpg

Not surprising, the local warranty card was on top of the other content inside the box:

K01_Box_2.jpg

Everything is well organized and packed as all other Pentax dSLR cameras:

K01_Box_3.jpg

These are all we (K5 owners of course) wanted, aren't they?

K01_Box_4.jpg

Finally got to the most exciting part, the camera looks much better than I thought:

K01_Box_5.jpg

I wish I got time to setup a light box to take some better photos, but for now these will do:

K01_Box_6.jpg

K01_Box_7.jpg

The strap was also designed by Mark Newson, of course it'd look different from all the other straps:

K01_Strap.jpg

Last edited:
Since I've already played the camera before, I'm more interested in how the new lens perform on a film camera. It doesn't look bad when mounted on the most beautiful Pentax film camera:

MZS_40XS_1.jpg

MZS_40XS_2.jpg

Last edited:
The first thing I tested w/ the new camera is the Focus Peaking feature. Never used thied this thing before, seems pretty useful. Those who love to use manual lenses would love this feature.

Focus Peaking OFF:

K01_FocusPeak_OFF.jpg

Focus Peaking ON:

K01_FocusPeak_ON.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!!! Nice camera. Looks great on the MZ-S too!! Now if it works, then kekeke, Time for me to get one, but not so soon.

The first thing I tested w/ the new camera is the Focus Peaking feature. Never used thied this thing before, seems pretty useful. Those who love to use manual lenses would love this feature.

Focus Peaking OFF:

K01_FocusPeak_OFF.jpg

Focus Peaking ON:

K01_FocusPeak_ON.jpg

Can you change the peaking color or is there only white like the Ricoh GXR?

Wow...you are the man Feng LaoBan ! :)
When I read someone got it at SLRR earlier, I was hunting youtube for an unboxing video but none so far. so I guess Singapore is amongst the first to get their hands on a retail model (great work Emjay!).

How much did you pay for it?

I have weakness for unboxing videos especially the well produced ones. haha.
In anycase, looking forward to your review in the CS review section now that you have a production set. :)

Congratulations on your new toys. Waiting for your pics ;p

Does the 40xs cover the full 35mm frame?

You're the man! :cool:
Another Sgp 1st.

I ended up with the yellow too! My boy insisted on the 'bumblebee one' at OP just now. I was thinking of the black one at first.

Remember to buy an Autobot sticker to paste on it :D

Can you change the peaking color or is there only white like the Ricoh GXR?

I don't see an option to change color, so I guess it's the same as Ricoh GXR one, which some considered as even better than the NEX FP :)

thanks guys for your kind words :) I wish I could go out taking more testing photos right away. But w/ 2 kids around while wife is away, I'm not as free as I wished :(

Haha take your time, it's very nice of you to always be the first to review a well as offer valuable advice to the newer guys. We appreciate it enough:)

wow that is one beautiful camera!! why not pentax just use that design instead of wasting money on that marc designer

Since I've already played the camera before, I'm more interested in how the new lens perform on a film camera. It doesn't look bad when mounted on the most beautiful Pentax film camera:

MZS_40XS_1.jpg

MZS_40XS_2.jpg