K-01 1fps in raw

dniwkh

Mar 19, 2012
Guys,

I am using a class 6 SD card with K-01. The fps in RAW is 1FPS which is very slow.

does getting a higher speed card helps? If so I don't mind getting a faster card.

I don't really need super high FPS but I thought 3fps should not be a problem...

Last edited:
I just bought a 16gb sandisk ultra which is supposed to go up to 30mB/sec.

still 1 FPS.....

I just bought a 16gb sandisk ultra which is supposed to go up to 30mB/sec.

still 1 FPS.....

I saw your post, but thought it would be better for those with the camera to reply.
sorry abt that.
Yup, afaik its 1fps in raw regardless of sdcard

1fps is really bad as most people shoot raw.

If I had known about this, I will probably not buy the k-01. Even 2fps is acceptable for my usage. Lets see how it turns out in actual usage on my next trip.

I thought K-01 in RAW defaults at Continuous Low... exposure permitting, that's gotta be better than 1 fps.:think:

I thought K-01 in RAW defaults at Continuous Low... exposure permitting, that's gotta be better than 1 fps.:think:

nope that is what I thought too.... The continuous Low in raw mode is MUCH slower....

I don't understand why, maybe they cannot write the card fast enough and they don't have much buffer. Even a 2 shot raw buffer at 3fps is welcomed.

Looking at the K-01 vs nex5n, I took K-01 because of the built in SR over the tilting LCD for NEX5n. They are both very good cameras but the built in SR was what prompted me to get K-01.

If I knew that K-01 is 1fps, I would have bought the NEX5n.

I don't need the contrast AF with an UWA anyway.

Last edited:
Any reason why you'd need fast continuous shooting w a super wide angle lens?

to shoot something like this. I usually fire a burst 3fps and choose the pic with the best posture. With 1 fps, the chance of a keeper is much less. I don't need 10fps but 3 fps is very nice to have.

The below is shot in 14mm FF.

europe37.jpg

Last edited:
to shoot something like this. I usually fire a burst 3fps and choose the pic with the best posture. With 1 fps, the chance of a keeper is much less. I don't need 10fps but 3 fps is very nice to have.

europe37.jpg

Wide angle lenses have very deep DOF, especially when stopped down. IMO, to take this kind of photos, a faster shutter speed would be much helpful than faster fps.

lol @1fps. and i was thinking itd be faster since it doesnt have a flippin mirror.

lol @1fps. and i was thinking itd be faster since it doesnt have a flippin mirror.

probably a slower chip used to process the images and/or smaller/slower buffer? :dunno: the extra ~$600 for the k5 must come from somewhere... :bsmilie:

europe37.jpg

I think the best that can be done for now is either shoot jpg for such situations or focus much further in front of your running girl. The UWA should have enough DOF if you focus to the front of subject shooting at f5.6, f8.

Wide angle lenses have very deep DOF, especially when stopped down. IMO, to take this kind of photos, a faster shutter speed would be much helpful than faster fps.

mmm.... my idea is exactly the opposite. One of the things I like about the K-01 is the SR which allows me to shoot at slow shutter speeds. I always thought for such shots some motion blur is good.

After shooting the K-01 for 3 days overseas, I find 1fps is restrictive but not as bad as I thought.

I noticed something too. when I shoot raw in continuous mode sometimes one of the pics gets corrupted. It happens pretty often and I see 4-5 such pics in one day of shooting (200-300 pics)

I think the best that can be done for now is either shoot jpg for such situations or focus much further in front of your running girl. The UWA should have enough DOF if you focus to the front of subject shooting at f5.6, f8.

I never mention any issue with AF. Ususally for UWA I just manual focus. it is the response of the camera. I did encounter a few instances with the camera is not responsive when I try to shoot.

The thing about photographing active children especially your own i dont think even 10fps is enough. The way they run around and change moods as fast as SG weather. Not easy to choose The Pic because to a parent, all where the kid face shown clear is perfect. :)

Since you have chosen the K-01...another option you can do is get better in shooting jpegs.

I bought a sandisk class 10 90MB/sec sd card in japan and it is still 1 fps per second but it helps a lot.

Previously with a slower card, after you burst a few shots, the camera is very slow to recover as it needs to finish writing before you can take another shot. With the class 10 card, it writes faster than 1fps so the buffer never builts up. You can take raw at 1fps indefinately.

Hopefully there will be a firmware upgrade to get at least 2fps. Even 2fps is a big step up from 1fps.