Justifiable to buy EF-S 10-22mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kianhock

Oct 19, 2007
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in e DSLR scene, currently having a canon 20D singma 18-50 f2.8, 50mm f1.8 n a EFS 55-250IS.

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand EF-S 10 -22mm lens coz i gg alaska for 4 mths.. awed by a lot of good lenscape shots posted by fellow clubsnappers...

do u think such purchases is justified?

Hope to learn more from all e seniors out there! =)

Just do it.

You won't regret it as long as you are not into FF.

4 months? wow what are you doing in Alaska?

Just do it.

You won't regret it as long as you are not into FF.

Thanks for your reply. Just bought my 20D in Oct 2007, not intending to upgrade to FF so soon (broke alr) ;p

Mind sharing why do you say tt? any personal experiences with this lens?

Thanks for your reply. Just bought my 20D in Oct 2007, not intending to upgrade to FF so soon (broke alr) ;p

Mind sharing why do you say tt? any personal experiences with this lens?

Eh, it's because if you plan to upgrade to full frame cameras (1d, 5D) you cannot mount the lens on a full frame camera or it cannot autofocus. Cos 10-22mm is EF-S only for 1.6x crop sensor cameras :)

4 months? wow what are you doing in Alaska?

I'm going for Work and Travel from May to end Aug; I'm going Skagway, Alaska to work as a bellboy at a hotel, then travel around. my itinerary includes Barrow (most-northern town where e igloos are), sea trips, whale-sighting (my telezoom might have limitations for this kind of shoots), and definitely going Vancouver to shoot fireworks.. Vancouver is about 4 hours bus ride away...

http://www.celebration-of-light.com/

Hope i'm not spreading my travel bugs ard.. ;p

Will be travelling to LA, LV, SF once my contract expires but tt itinerary hasnt been finalised due to some uncertainties..

If buy e lens for this trip, is it justifiable?

Eh, it's because if you plan to upgrade to full frame cameras (1d, 5D) you cannot mount the lens on a full frame camera or it cannot autofocus. Cos 10-22mm is EF-S only for 1.6x crop sensor cameras :)

Yup, i agree, coz e systems are different.

anyone mind sharing their experience with this lens on a 1.6x crop sensor cameras?

The 10-22mm is a good choice, especially 2nd hand. It's one of my favourite lens on my 350D.

Though I have never been to Alaska before, I would imagine the landscapes up there to be incredible. And don't forget the Northern lights! Definitely bring a wide angle lens with you.

Can't afford the EF-S 10-22mm.... but I do have the Sigma 10-20mm.

Since Alaska is well known for its open country side.... a ultra wide angel lens will be a good investment..... :thumbsup:

My 2 cents worth :sweat:

just bought a 10-22 from HK in dec last yr...it's now my most used lens...my 18-55 been in my dry cab every since...n now i hardly use my 28-300...

it's gd for lots of things...just not gd for photos with people at the sides...other than that...it's an excellant lens! very sharp...just that u need to get REALLY close to wat u need to shoot...no more sniping...

Get it! No regrets for me thus far...heheh :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great for landscaping shots! Highly recommended ..well from me at least.

Hi,
Buy the lense. You won't regret it. Alaska is really beautiful. I have been to Anchorage many times for work trips. The scenery is absolutely stunning. The lense will work well. Imagine if you don't get it, you won't be able to capture all the beautiful scenes. But if you do buy it and then decide to sell it later, at least you would have managed to capture all that stunning beauty around you. Try to do more of your travelling early before summer comes, that's when it gets really busy and all the tourist come. Off peak season is nice and quite,probably cheaper too. When you get out of the airport in Anchorage you will see one of the biggest, if not the biggest 'carparks' full of light aircraft. You can actually rent a bicycle and cycle around. It's great. In summer go down to the rivers and watch the locals fish for salmon. Loads of them. The rivers actually look 'red' if you fly from above because of all the fish. It is almost like going to a fish farm. You can get great pics of people fishing. Pop into F street station for makan, that's my usual joint. Try the beer battered halibut. It's on F street around the corner from Hilton. The waitresses are really friendly and some are really gorgeous too. You can try reindeer sausages as well on the corner stands around the city. Have fun, you will enjoy it there I am sure, unless you are not the outdoor sort. So much to do....................... if you decide to go tracking in summer becareful of bears. Ask the locals, they can give you good advice on what to do and what not. Hope that helps a bit. I am sure you will love it.

i think what u may also want to invest in is a set of filters. they do help alot i believe. im sure most landscape people would agree.

just bought a 10-22 from HK in dec last yr...it's now my most used lens...my 18-55 been in my dry cab every since...n now i hardly use my 28-300...

it's gd for lots of things...just not gd for photos with people at the sides...other than that...it's an excellant lens! very sharp...just that u need to get REALLY close to wat u need to shoot...no more sniping...

just wondering: how do u use e 10-22 as walkabout lens?

mind sharing some pointers? ;p

Hi,
Buy the lense. You won't regret it. Alaska is really beautiful. I have been to Anchorage many times for work trips. The scenery is absolutely stunning. The lense will work well. Imagine if you don't get it, you won't be able to capture all the beautiful scenes. But if you do buy it and then decide to sell it later, at least you would have managed to capture all that stunning beauty around you. Try to do more of your travelling early before summer comes, that's when it gets really busy and all the tourist come. Off peak season is nice and quite,probably cheaper too. When you get out of the airport in Anchorage you will see one of the biggest, if not the biggest 'carparks' full of light aircraft. You can actually rent a bicycle and cycle around. It's great. In summer go down to the rivers and watch the locals fish for salmon. Loads of them. The rivers actually look 'red' if you fly from above because of all the fish. It is almost like going to a fish farm. You can get great pics of people fishing. Pop into F street station for makan, that's my usual joint. Try the beer battered halibut. It's on F street around the corner from Hilton. The waitresses are really friendly and some are really gorgeous too. You can try reindeer sausages as well on the corner stands around the city. Have fun, you will enjoy it there I am sure, unless you are not the outdoor sort. So much to do....................... if you decide to go tracking in summer becareful of bears. Ask the locals, they can give you good advice on what to do and what not. Hope that helps a bit. I am sure you will love it.

wow... wad industry are u in? ur position? can go alaska for work trips every now and then... *envious*

i think what u may also want to invest in is a set of filters. they do help alot i believe. im sure most landscape people would agree.

yup, i'm buying a circular polariser for this lens, as one of the bros here selling a 10-22 with UV filter...

are u referring to just UV/circular polarizer filters only, or something else?

well...it depends on wat u shoot...for me i seldom shoot people...usually scenes... so it's still ok... i used it for fireworks, seaside, landscape and so on...in fact i used it at sentosa flowers last month too...

previously i used the kit lens as walkabout as i find the 28 end of my 1st lens to be too far...

if u r the kind that likes to zoom in on people's expression and so on...then 10-22 would not be your walkabout lens.

ultimately, it's ur style that will decide wat lens u use. so go out and explore then you will form your style...that's wat make your pictures unique. my 1 cents worth....

yup, i'm buying a circular polariser for this lens, as one of the bros here selling a 10-22 with UV filter...

are u referring to just UV/circular polarizer filters only, or something else?

u might wan to consider ND filter for landscape shots...esp if it got to do with ice and water...

i think to sum this up...if u need it...buy it...if u don't need it...don't buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.