Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.

josho

Nov 27, 2004
Jln Teck Whye
pboong.com
So.... how many of you changed to Win 7 already and using 64bit?

Im thinking of going to x64 but need to understand and know more if some programs are working fine on x64 system. :cool:

nice!

Can i ask if it support these program?

PPStream
itunes
winamp
real player
camtasia (if u have one)
Flock (browser)
Tweetdeck (for twitter)

Can't think of other small programs now.. =(

nice!

Can i ask if it support these program?

PPStream - Not Sure
itunes - Yes
winamp - Yes
real player - Yes
camtasia (if u have one) - Not Sure
Flock (browser) - Not Sure
Tweetdeck (for twitter) - Yes

Can't think of other small programs now.. =(

If I'm not wrong, all 64bit O/S can support 32bit programs. So technically all programmes that work as 32bits can work on 64bit. The only problem with Windows 7 is that they are different at core with XP, but if you're carrying over programs that you use on Vista, you're good to go even if they are 32bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a IT expert.

According to my pal, he mention not all 32bit can work on 64bit. For e.g. Chrome browser.

Phoakm - is it Winamp standard you mentioning?

Can't wait for the Win 7 (64bit)

btw i yet to install win7
the disc had been lying there for 2 weeks :bsmilie:

so wonder if i should go 32/64
my specs is 4G ram Core 2 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

i just hope the linksys usb wireless adapter can work well with win 7
cos is giving my lots of connection problem with vista :angry:

Download and install Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor here.

The software will check for you for any compatibility issues (software/hardware) your PC will encounter if you wish to proceed with installing Win 7.

Eliminates guesswork.

The software will check for you for any compatibility issues (software/hardware) your PC will encounter if you wish to proceed with installing Win 7.

Eliminates guesswork.

nice. thanks and appreciate!

According to my pal, he mention not all 32bit can work on 64bit. For e.g. Chrome browser.

Apologies, I though is the MS win player. I do not have the software.
If you want to see the performance of Win 7 64 bit. You can visit me. ;)
Anyway, your place so near my area. Give me a PM.

Chrome works perfectly on Windows 7 64bit. I've been using with my Windows 7 64bit Professional Edition from the start till date. ;)

Have Camtasia Studio 6 and working fine on Win 7 64Bit.

../azul123

Apologies, I though is the MS win player. I do not have the software.
If you want to see the performance of Win 7 64 bit. You can visit me. ;)
Anyway, your place so near my area. Give me a PM.

That's very nice of you man. Appreciated. Not nice to trouble you in person tho. Better to ask and find out more.

Going to get the Win 7 real soon. :D

Win 7 does not support PPStream program, right?

Eliminates guesswork.

Hoho... it seem like it only detect and scan C drive. I had most of the program installed to another drive.

Damn it, my printer do not have x64bit support! (As stated in the Upgrade Advisor)

But I went to HP6500 E709a, it have the Win 7 64bit driver. So it can be *not-so* accurate.

Last edited:
You will only get any advantage out of using the 64bit OS if you have 4Gb or more of RAM. The 32bit OS can't effectively use more than approx 3.5Gb of RAM - the 'addressing limit' is 4Gb, but the application can't use all that, Windows needs a bit for it self. By going 64bit, the application/OS can make better use of the >4Gb RAM.

If you have less than 4Gb of RAM, using Win 64 is possibly even slowing you down.

In theory any 32bit application should work on the 64bit OS as it has a complete 32bit compatibility layer - but again if all your apps are 32bit, you are just adding overhead.

The problems with 64bit windows have more been related to driver issues, not applications - many bits of hardware still don't have 64bit drivers.

There are probably very few applications 'out there' compiled for Win64. One of the guys at work wanted to try his CAD program on 64bit (his models were getting too large and won't fit in the 32bit memory space), only to find the CAD vendor wants more money to 'upgrade' our licence to 64bit. The guys using Matlab are moving to it, as our licence is 'all platforms', but the heavy users are mostly running Matlab on 64bit Ubuntu Linux, not Windows.
It's our CAD guys who don't have the Linux option who are itching for 64bit.

Thanks all for the input! Most likely going for x64 since my ram is 4gb now. Apps that is not x64 supported, too bad lo. heh!

Just read that it doesn't work with Nikon Scan :(
So I can't scan until they update!

Status
Not open for further replies.