Just wondering who is using Win 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that it doesn't work with Nikon Scan :(
So I can't scan until they update!

if they haven't done a 64bit driver by now, they probably are not going to.

64bit XP has been around for years (My work actually has a 'lab' of 64bit XP systems!) - but driver support was so poor hardly any one bothered.

64bit Vista was released with the 32bit version.

So if a vendor hasn't been releasing a 64bit driver for any bit of hardware sold in the last 3 or 4 years, their driver code probably has issues being compiled for a 64bit target that make it a bigger issue than changing the build target.

People still managed to turn out code today that will not work properly in a 64bit environment. I expect that device drivers are more likely than normal to have 32-64bit issues.

I've been using 64bit Linux systems for over 10 years, so I keep getting surprised that 'new' code that breaks on 64bit is still being created, as the environment is NOT new!

Have anyone tried installing Window 7 64bit on XP 32bit?

I gotten:
This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disk.
To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using installation disc, and then Select Custom (advanced).

I did reboot with the installation disc and it come back again to XP with no option given.
Of course, I put in 32 bit disc, it shown me the option. But now, I wanna install 64bit. So do I have to reboot to first boot up and do the old style of installing Window?

Have anyone tried installing Window 7 64bit on XP 32bit?

I gotten:
This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disk.
To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using installation disc, and then Select Custom (advanced).

I did reboot with the installation disc and it come back again to XP with no option given.
Of course, I put in 32 bit disc, it shown me the option. But now, I wanna install 64bit. So do I have to reboot to first boot up and do the old style of installing Window?

You'll have to boot from disc. Technically you'll have to set the boot option of your system to boot from CD instead of HDD directly. :)

Refer to the manual, if any, to set how to configure it. :)

You'll have to boot from disc. Technically you'll have to set the boot option of your system to boot from CD instead of HDD directly. :)

Refer to the manual, if any, to set how to configure it. :)

Alright. I thought I can do the direct way. So now i have to 'visit' the BIOS for first boot up on DVD instead.

Thanks Yoh :angel:

Alright. I thought I can do the direct way. So now i have to 'visit' the BIOS for first boot up on DVD instead.

Thanks Yoh :angel:

:bsmilie: You're welcome. :thumbsup:

32bit OS will not be able to run 64bit applications natively, that includes installing of OS via that it. :)

:bsmilie: You're welcome. :thumbsup:

32bit OS will not be able to run 64bit applications natively, that includes installing of OS via that it. :)

Thought it is an easy way out for me. ha!

So, next time formatting of computer is even easier. :thumbsup:

:bsmilie: Sure is.

Ai sey... looking damn good man! Look like I have a lot of programs to start installing since I move up from 32bit to 64bit now.

How come under remove program , there's not a single program show up? Because I am able to start using Winrar.

Last edited:
Ai sey... looking damn good man! Look like I have a lot of programs to start installing.

:bsmilie: Just the beginning. :thumbsup:

How come I been ask to login as administrator when i am already is?

That's the Vista security model. Confirm any action that requires special privileges, even if you are already logged in as administrator. Windows 7 continues it, although they have tried to make it a little less intrusive than their first cut at it as included in Vista.

There is a way of turning it off. The same registry keys as Vista.

:think: I don't recall anything of such for my Windows 7 x64.

looks like i need to get a new linksys wireless adapter cos the old one is not compatible with win7 :sweat:

btw anyone with win7 uses linksys wireless adapter?

Last edited:
Recently my Win 7 had been crashing like partying. After some info and help from Window Seven forum, I removed, reinstall my programs and it never help.

The last option is to uninstall my Zone Alarm and Oh dear... BSOD is long gone!
I am wondering how many Win 7 64bit users are using ZA software.

Since it crashes on me several times, what can I do with ZA? I bought this software not long ago, still have 1yr 6mth at least. I kinda scared of installing ZA again if they ask me to.

And other than ZA, which other good/great Internet Security Suite is worth to get? I used Kaspersky before, good and very powerful. How abt NOD32?

Advise me, please.

need to format one meh? oh, I not using Windows. :bsmilie:

And other than ZA, which other good/great Internet Security Suite is worth to get? I used Kaspersky before, good and very powerful. How abt NOD32?

I've tested both, and both work well. But for me, Kaspersky catches more stuff.

WinXP works nicely for me. No I am not changing to Windows 7. I don't think it will be any better for a consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.