Just wondering ... whats the best dslr system for beginner with low budget ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
since when a DSLR is for low budget user? :D

Saw a Canon EOS D30 going in Buy Sell for about $650, perhaps you might want to look into that? Still a very good cam, images are silky smooth. Couple that with a 50mm f1.8 or one of the 28-300mm zooms, and you're set. Might need to stretch ur budget a bit to abt around $800.

You might want to take a look at this thread as well.

haha don't think need that long. Probably in 1 or 2 years' time when the resale value of D30 drops below $500. And can couple the dslr with a e.g. tamron 28-200mm lens (should be relatively cheap?)

can lah... dun expect much lor...

average new prosumer dslr with 1 lens price is about 2k already (D70 & 300D) wait until something to replace them and then u see ppl sell below the 1k mark...

like above... somebody said about D30/60... these kinda bodies not bad lor, better than the plastic bodies... just mp not tat great...

blurblock said:
Well ...... keep waiting, most probably it would be out in ...... 10 years time? :D

No need 10 years la....
DSLR's price are falling fast! Look at that Professional Nikon D1 launch price verus today's 2nd hand selling price...now only going for $1500 or lesser but nobody wants also!

XXX Boy said:
No need 10 years la....
DSLR's price are falling fast! Look at that Professional Nikon D1 launch price verus today's 2nd hand selling price...now only going for $1500 or lesser but nobody wants also!

Ah ... yes ..... but the lens is still selling for astronomical price :) ..... he wanted a body + lens for $600 - $700, if the lens is selling for $200 .... he wanted a body for 400? :D

Expiredyoghurt said:
budget ... 600-700max ... for body+lens

IF that is all you willing to spend...even if you managed to scrap together a body and len for your maximum expenditure of 700..what have you got left for the memory module????? DSLR don't usually throw in a memory module for nothing.....come to think of it...you can't even get a DSLR from less then 1000 or even 1500 for that matter.

You need to relook at your option if your money is tight.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
like above... somebody said about D30/60... these kinda bodies not bad lor, better than the plastic bodies... just mp not tat great...
I beg to differ. The D30 may only be 3.2 Megapixels resolution, but the CMOS sensor can produce relatively noise free and smooth-looking images, definitely beating any P&S prosumer cam hands down. Of course you can't compare 4-years old technology to today's latest crop of DSLRs, but the D30 still holds its own. D60 too. Just look at megaweb's gallery is testament to this workhorse.

If you can get the D30 that was posted recently in the B&S - that is body and built-in flash -$650 ?

Lens - 2 choices
50/1.8 Mk II at 120 (or around there)
- good lens but you only have 1 focal length that is short tele after the 1.6 factor

EFS 18-55 at $80 or so
- not exactly the most exciting or glamorous lens but at at least it gives you wide to short tele zoom (28.8 to 88)
- you need to do the modifications

===============
And when all is done, you probably need the following essentials:
512MB CF (<$100) or you have have leftovers from previous digicams?
dry box (or tupperware with silica gel, if you are watching the $$)
tripod
leaning kit - cloth, blower, brush/lens pens
that fashion statement called a camera bag ;)

And at some point of time - maybe an ext flash, battery grip, a seemingly never ending list :sweat:

i know this is a little off the topic but, have you considered film SLRs? great way to start. Can get a nikon F65 or something.

skf said:
If you can get the D30 that was posted recently in the B&S - that is body and built-in flash -$650 ?

Lens - 2 choices
50/1.8 Mk II at 120 (or around there)
- good lens but you only have 1 focal length that is short tele after the 1.6 factor

EFS 18-55 at $80 or so
- not exactly the most exciting or glamorous lens but at at least it gives you wide to short tele zoom (28.8 to 88)
- you need to do the modifications

EF-s doesn't work with the D30. Inexperienced modding of the lens might damage the camera as well.

DSLR is NOT for budget photographers. Even if u do manage to get the D30 at $650, u will probably need to get the accessories (long lens->tripod legs->ball head->memory cards->flash->...the list goes on.. My point is that DSLR bodies are cheap but lenses and accessories are expensive. Start saving now.
;)

not really what, just buy everything second hand.

a) dslr = d30
b) lens = second hand, choose your focal range, lets take tamron 28-75 di 2.8 as a allround lens, 50mm f/1.8
c) cf card (512MB) x 2 $100
d) external flash (380ex or 420ex second hand).

probably everything can get under 1500 and you can do what most p&s does

its only when you want to do eg: birding, 1:1 macro that things start getting expensive (like cf tripods, magnesium ballheads, gimbals, more cf cards, portable storage, flash with higher guide number, flash power supply, macro lenses, telezooms, primes, filters etc)

ps: OOPS: budget 600-700 , cannot lah, cannot even go digital with the prices of eg: A75 = $400 already add in some cf cards, dust blower etc, already cutting things close.

Might want to consider getting a SLR-like featured camera instead which might suit your budget better, such as Canon G3 or Minolta Dynax 7i equilvalent?

ps: OOPS: budget 600-700 , cannot lah, cannot even go digital with the prices of eg: A75 = $400 already add in some cf cards, dust blower etc, already cutting things close

that's the kicker...with a limited budget like that...lucky to get started with Film SLRs.

If new to this hobby... I don't see why there is a need to go the route of DSLR if budget is constraint. I see nothing wrong or "lose face" to use a film SLR. If I had more money and less hobbies I would still keep my film SLRs along with my DSLR. unforutnately I had to make a choice when I went digital. And I think this guy needs to choose too. Who knows what other constraint he/she had as well if already for now the budget is limited.

a) dslr second hand d30 $650
b) lens second hand 50mm $100
c) cf card (64MB) ask friend for a obsolete 64MB, should be free
d) dont buy flash, tripod, ballhead, bag, drybox, no budget.

ok ... up the budget to 900 ... body+lens+cf card? ...

tripod can wait abit ...
dry-box/cabinet already got
flash gun can wait ...

Status
Not open for further replies.