Just wondering what settings will this photo need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
I saw this photo in CS, but I am wondering what settings do I need
on my 350D. Basically I mean the aperture, focal length and camera
distance. Shuttle doesn't matter though.
7045river_dragon.jpg

:)

When I shoot this picture, how do I prevent the foggy glare on the right
from taking place? Does a hood work?

4932F1000010.JPG

Close down the aperture for the first & hyperfocus the lense.. It's probably a wide angle lense anyway..

2nd picture, you don't really have a choice, it's not lense flare.. If you have an extremely powerful flash, you could use it to fill in (I doubt any hotshoe mounted unit can fill the entire building though)..

dRebelXT said:
When I shoot this picture, how do I prevent the foggy glare on the right
from taking place? Does a hood work?

4932F1000010.JPG

i'm the one who shot this picture.

it was made with an old Ricoh 500G, the lens had a very bad fungus attack on the lens which damaged the part of the coating, hence the "foggy" bit on the right.

patch17 said:
i'm the one who shot this picture.

it was made with an old Ricoh 500G, the lens had a very bad fungus attack on the lens which damaged the part of the coating, hence the "foggy" bit on the right.

I see, so it was the fungus. Let's say when I shoot this picture and the sun was
near that part, is it likely to prevent such glare from happening? :confused:

Firefox said:
Close down the aperture for the first & hyperfocus the lense.. It's probably a wide angle lense anyway..

2nd picture, you don't really have a choice, it's not lense flare.. If you have an extremely powerful flash, you could use it to fill in (I doubt any hotshoe mounted unit can fill the entire building though)..

What is hyperfocus?

this is just my own opinion.

For the first photo, i guess to get such a dynamic range, this photo was further process via photoshop for shadow and highlight.

means u anticipate the focal plane, utilizing ur depth of field characteristics of the lens and ur aperture.

say i want to take a picture and my main subject is 5m away, and i want objects that are 4m away and 8m away to be sharp too. so i'll manually focus my lens beforehand to focus at the 5m plane then use probably f/8 aperture to ensure that the other objects appear sharp and in focus too, cuz if u use large apertures like f/1.4, the depth of field would be so shallow that only your main subject may appear in focus.

dRebelXT said:
I saw this photo in CS, but I am wondering what settings do I need
on my 350D. Basically I mean the aperture, focal length and camera
distance. Shuttle doesn't matter though.
7045river_dragon.jpg

:)

probably something of 35mm focal length, aperture stopped down to probably f/11 or even smaller, and wait for the setting sun. if shutter speed is going to be low, then use a tripod.

btw, it's shutter; not shuttle. you may be taking too much of shuttle buses of late? ;)

No, I am absorbed by space shuttles lately.

dRebelXT said:
I see, so it was the fungus. Let's say when I shoot this picture and the sun was
near that part, is it likely to prevent such glare from happening? :confused:

the blur was caused by an imperfect lens. if the sun was in that spot, instead of the fungus, i guess you'd ge a different effect.

before you shoot, ask yourself what you would like to achieve with the picture? i looked up and saw the lines of the building streaking into the sky, by moving around and placing the sun behind the building, it created an aura around the building and made the lines lead from dark at the bottom of the picture to light at the top, like some highway to the heavens. if i had the sun in front of the building, i reckon the image would not have been as dramatic.

You can use a Gradient Levels adjustment in photoshop to blend that contrast/density. Also UV filters help.

Status
Not open for further replies.