Just wondering how do you guys get lobang for photography

zhigang

Jun 18, 2010
Live in the West
Hi all cser, i been photography for an year.. i love taking photography, just wondering how do you guys do freelance? like such, modeling shot etc.

i would like to follow as crew if possible, do you guys start off as crew 1st or? just wondering..

I started off straight as an event photographer. Was being intro-ed to the company from my friend's friend. Sooo.. its good to have more friends!

that's cool, but i dont have wide network of friends, any other alternative? haha

Yes, try to build a portfolio, go read up all those books on exposure, compostion, events, weddings etc at the national library.

I see that your location is in the west, you can join the west shooters for their events. :)

is it possible to follow some professional photographer as crew member? cause i currently looking for one.. i heard some photographer take in crew.. not sure either then i can start building portfolio from there

Look at the Services section in this forum, there will be people advertising so you might just ask around if you can be part of the crew, etc.

Why not research some professional photographers and contact them?

Also dont just think about what's in it for you . . . . what's in it for them?

I don't think you'd increase your portfolio this way though, because no pro would want or allow you to shoot over their shoulder . . . .

Hi all cser, i been photography for an year.. i love taking photography, just wondering how do you guys do freelance? like such, modeling shot etc.

i would like to follow as crew if possible, do you guys start off as crew 1st or? just wondering..
you have to know what kind of photography you want to get into..

weddings?
73482_453770433165_835728165_5341561_7200810_n.jpg

events?
39714_420625408165_835728165_4624317_3310279_n.jpg

sports?
37665_415302878165_835728165_4489140_6515540_n.jpg

journalist?
69423_452027028165_835728165_5311618_7154637_n.jpg

street?
37734_421920328165_835728165_4656599_1374960_n.jpg

there are so many genres of photography and many more seem to pop out so not really possible to list everything out.

In short, once people know you are good at what you do then the lobangs will come to you.

How i started? By taking jobs that senior photographers either ignored or reject. Have to get started somewhere.

Last edited:
For me the difficult part is... If for exmaple I want to get into wedding photography, I'd need to shoot weddings to build a wedding portfolio. So if I don't have friends with upcoming weddings, I may need to shoot weddings as an assistant. And If I will have no portfolio to start with to even be an assistant, how then can I actually start?

For me the difficult part is... If for exmaple I want to get into wedding photography, I'd need to shoot weddings to build a wedding portfolio. So if I don't have friends with upcoming weddings, I may need to shoot weddings as an assistant. And If I will have no portfolio to start with to even be an assistant, how then can I actually start?

Same problem I am encountering, I would really like to have some hands on experience as an assistant or helper during events after my exams but I have got nothing in my portfolio.. Perhaps friends can introduce some lobang, but I also do not have any friends in the photography business..

sound like a catch 22 situation, isn't it?

but if you have a solid foundation on the photography, anyone can tell whether are you capable to take up the assignment by seeing your generic portfolio.

Thats not really true...

if you are really serious, what you can do is stage your own wedding using models and props. Costs quite a bit of money but it is an option. Important is to have an idea of the shots you want in your portfolio.

from there, you can start by being second or doing ROMs. Give yourself some time before trying an actual wedding on your own.

You wont be the first if you take this path.

Last edited: