just wondering - anybody use the GIMP around here for ur photo editting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfl

Aug 12, 2004
as per subject...

I've played around with version 2, quite good - although haven't used it much. Very good free alternative to getting Photoshop CS.

gooseberry said:
I've played around with version 2, quite good - although haven't used it much. Very good free alternative to getting Photoshop CS.

hey, that's cool! do u use it on windows, or linux..., or whatever?

jfl said:
hey, that's cool! do u use it on windows, or linux..., or whatever?

Used it on linux, until I had to wipe my linux partition when I started to run out of space for my laptop. Now using the windows version. I'm quite impressed with it - uses up a lot less resources than PS - but haven't had the time to really use it properly, and set up it up with the dcraw plugin.

You used it much ?

gooseberry said:
Used it on linux, until I had to wipe my linux partition when I started to run out of space for my laptop. Now using the windows version. I'm quite impressed with it - uses up a lot less resources than PS - but haven't had the time to really use it properly, and set up it up with the dcraw plugin.

You used it much ?

yeah, pretty much. But it's not like i do a lot of photo editting lah - mainly just for resizing and cropping nowadays... I'm not a "super" user.

the most "pro" i went was to play around with the scripting language that's built in. That was about it.

*puts hand up
I do not use it a Lot, still learning it, I maily only use it when I am in linux, but when doing photo work etc I am usually in windows so i somethinmes use gimp, but most times Photoshop 7

jfl said:
as per subject...

As a 'hardened' PS User I'd be hard pressed to use anything else; but the GIMP for a freebie is awesome!! Like others, I haven't used it to a great extent, but if you use PS primarily as a photographer, you'll find most of the 'basic advanced' essentials - curves, blending modes, lab-mode sharpening etc all available - it just takes a little time to get used to where everything is. I really think if you started out with the GIMP it would be hard to justify the expense of changing to PS. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.