Just what is the difference...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
Was going through the mass order section. What exactly is the difference between those items that cost 2- vs 3-digits?

Filters I can kinda understand... original Canon hoods are generally agreed to be rip-off compared to the compatible ones. How about things like $15 white balance caps vs expodisc or colorrights? $5 or $6 step-up/down rings from MO compared to $15 or $20 ones in retail shops.

Does it really make a significant difference?

There many things in our daily life also the same thing.
you can buy a lip stick for $1 at Pasar Malam to give to you girl friend, you also can buy a lip stick for $50 at departmental store for her.
You can buy 3 pairs of underwear for $10 at wet market, you also can buy a pair of underwear for $30 at Orchard.

if you can't tell the different, or thinking of wearing it inside nobody seeing it, just buy the cheapest thing lor....

IMO, this might not apply to step-up/step-down rings. If you get an inferior one, it might get stuck onto the filter/lens and you might have to spend more in order to get it off. Of course, getting a B+W step-up ring does not guarantee you it will never stuck...

ok... the problem is that in order to know how much of a difference it makes, I would have to buy both the cheap and the costly (which is the most expensive option).

hence, was hoping anyone would be kind enough to enlightened me based on their thoughts/experiences.
:)

ok... the problem is that in order to know how much of a difference it makes, I would have to buy both the cheap and the costly (which is the most expensive option).

hence, was hoping anyone would be kind enough to enlightened me based on their thoughts/experiences.
if somebody tell you don't use any other lenses beside L lenses, are you gonne listen and follow?
why don't just spend whatever you feel comfortable, when you can tell the different, when you need it, when you have money to spend, than start thinking of upgrading it.

if you don't understand the different, can be very sure that you don't need them at all.

if somebody tell you don't use any other lenses beside L lenses, are you gonne listen and follow?
why don't just spend whatever you feel comfortable, when you can tell the different, when you need it, when you have money to spend, than start thinking of upgrading it.

if you don't understand the different, can be very sure that you don't need them at all.

er, how to tell difference without buying and using both ley? I'm looking for general opinions/experiences. Particularly like to know what's good and bad about it, so won't be just follow totally blindly. Like example say, Canon hoods, apparently generally agreed original is over-priced for that piece of plastic, so go I'm getting the cheapo version for it. Unless somebody can point out what's so special about it.

Hope you understand what I mean.

Was going through the mass order section. What exactly is the difference between those items that cost 2- vs 3-digits?

Filters I can kinda understand... original Canon hoods are generally agreed to be rip-off compared to the compatible ones. How about things like $15 white balance caps vs expodisc or colorrights? $5 or $6 step-up/down rings from MO compared to $15 or $20 ones in retail shops.

buy from the states like amazon via borderlinx or vpost..
very much cheaper even after shipping...
cheers...
but make sure u like ur lens alot... not like me, buy le, sell lens... end up free hood... lol...

hawker centre chicken rice - $2.50 ~ $3.00

food court chicken rice - $3.50 ~ $5.00

Mandarin Hotel chicken rice - $17.00

it is called marketing

it is called marketing
beside the marketing, there is also presentation of the food, ambient of the place, got class or not, ingredient used, taste of the food, service etc etc...... :)

difference will have,

but the amoutn of money you pay for the difference is exponential.

you ask, is it significant? only you can answer the question.

er, how to tell difference without buying and using both ley? I'm looking for general opinions/experiences.

u r very right

suggest you buy both and try it out yourself... then you really have 1st hand experience

u can always sell away the one you don't want at a loss

In a way, its like paying $10 for something at a place with nonexistent customer service compared to $17 for the same thing at a more customer service oriented store.

You decide....go for the cheaper product or support the shop with better service?

er, how to tell difference without buying and using both ley? I'm looking for general opinions/experiences. Particularly like to know what's good and bad about it, so won't be just follow totally blindly. Like example say, Canon hoods, apparently generally agreed original is over-priced for that piece of plastic, so go I'm getting the cheapo version for it. Unless somebody can point out what's so special about it.

the original stuff overprice? third party one are more reasonable price?
what is the price for R&D, what is the price of assurance on quality product?

Let say if you invent and design something, tested on different material on various situation till the finish product perfect, and you spend lot of effort on marketing, introducing the product, you price the product carefully, make sure you recover all your investment, and general enough fund to do research on your next project, and also have a decent profit.

Than your friendly neighbor get one of you product, do a reverse engineering, make one similar product, selling his product at half of your price......

think about it, in the end, who is the biggest loser? the inventor? the cone maker? or the consumer?

there is nothing wrong to use a third party product if you can't afford the original one, but calling the original product is ripping off is totally wrong and unacceptable. The third party product is the real ripping off of other people invention and efforts.

it is called marketing

I usually go to the glass cutter and ask them to cut pcs of glass for all my filters.
They are no different from B+W or Lee filter.
It saves me hundred of dollars so that I can eat chicken rice at Mandarin Hotel.:thumbsup:

The built and quality is different.

For the original canon hood, the finishing/built/material etc is better. For e.g. $55 on a piece of plastic is expensive, in absolute terms, but those who are willing to spend on it will feel like it's worth $55 of good plastic.

A 3rd party hood at half the price, $24, is much cheaper, but it doesn't feel like it's worth $24 for a piece of crap plastic. It may work the same, but the finishing with plastic bits stocking out at some places etc.. just make it looks cheap with poor tolerance. It's like some 3rd party manufacturer produces the low quality stuff at really really low cost(maybe <10% of the original) but mark up the price and sell at half the price of the original.

It's different from 3rd party lens makers, where althou the lens is 3rd party, the built can be very good and maybe even better than some original lens.

Of coz.. YMMV.. :)

I usually go to the glass cutter and ask them to cut pcs of glass for all my filters.
They are no different from B+W or Lee filter.
It saves me hundred of dollars so that I can eat chicken rice at Mandarin Hotel.:thumbsup:
uncle jopel, actually the $2.50, $5.00 or $17.00 chicken rice are all the same, when they come out from our rear.

why waste the money??

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

beside the marketing, there is also presentation of the food, ambient of the place, got class or not, ingredient used, taste of the food, service etc etc...... :)

and where do u find the best chicken rice with long long queues?

-not in food court / hotels, but in hawker/kopitiam.

cheap stuff might be better than expensive stuff ( at lease this is so for local food) =)

for camera equipment wise...well since when are they cheap...they are merely expensive, more expensive or super expensive or heavenly expensive. hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.