Just want to greet everyone here + Lens advise.

CubbyT

Sep 6, 2011
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but has been reading the postings at the newbies corner for a few days. Very informative. Thanks all.

Picking up this new hobby as I'm no longer young (late 30s) and believe this will be a good activity to pick up.

I'm not contented to buy a DSLR and always set to automatic, hence will open my heart to read your reviews and sharing in this forum.
Please continue to share. :)

My equipment:
Nikon D5000 + 18-55mm kit lens.

Looking to grab a Sigma 18-200mm @ $620 or 18-250mm @ $950(still thinking).

Any advise???

both the Sigma 18-200mm & 18-250mm is an overlap of your 18-55mm

if you are buying either, then consider selling your 18-5mm and get a 50mm f1.8 prime

CubbyT said:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, but has been reading the postings at the newbies corner for a few days. Very informative. Thanks all.

Picking up this new hobby as I'm no longer young (late 30s) and believe this will be a good activity to pick up.

I'm not contented to buy a DSLR and always set to automatic, hence will open my heart to read your reviews and sharing in this forum.
Please continue to share. :)

My equipment:
Nikon D5000 + 18-55mm kit lens.

Looking to grab a Sigma 18-200mm @ $620 or 18-250mm @ $950(still thinking).

Any advise???

Hello :) What is your shooting preference? Is there something with the kit lens that is limiting you? Is it zoom range? :)

Hi,

Yes, the zoom range. I believe at my level, I can only know this(zooming). My shooting ranges from landscape to ball games, and also pets. So getting 18-200 or 18-250 as an "All-in-One" walkabout lens.

don't forget still got Tamron 18-270 (more choices ;p )

SkyStrike said:
don't forget still got Tamron 18-270 (more choices ;p )

Ah yes. The Tamron is a good lens for TS's needs. If u need greater zoom, give a good look at the Canon 50-250mm. Very affordable zoom lens. Downside is u will lose the width (18-55) and the need to change lens. If u don't like changing lens, all 18-2xx lens are great for your need :)

Just curious for TS, have u tried a prime lens? U mentioned about ball games. A fast lens might be good for this too. Haha :D

Hi,

Yes, the zoom range. I believe at my level, I can only know this(zooming). My shooting ranges from landscape to ball games, and also pets. So getting 18-200 or 18-250 as an "All-in-One" walkabout lens.

18-200 or 270mm lens came with a compromise in pic quality though. I would propose getting a combo set... using your existing 18-55mm and get a 55-200mm lens (I believe it to be cheaper and of excellent quality). Of course you would lose some flexibility of a 18-200mm or 18-270m lens.

Anyway for ball games or fast sport in low lighting, you might need a fast lens. What I can think of is a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. That lens is incredible for sport photography (but very very expensive).

Last edited:
Ah yes. The Tamron is a good lens for TS's needs. If u need greater zoom, give a good look at the Canon 50-250mm. Very affordable zoom lens. Downside is u will lose the width (18-55) and the need to change lens. If u don't like changing lens, all 18-2xx lens are great for your need :)

Just curious for TS, have u tried a prime lens? U mentioned about ball games. A fast lens might be good for this too. Haha :D

Bro... TS is using Nikon and not Canon.

rhino123 said:
Bro... TS is using Nikon and not Canon.

Oops my bad! Is there is Nikor lens of similar range? No disrespect to Nikon bros. Honest mistake :)

luckyorange said:
welcome to cs =)

yup nikon got 55-200

Hehe paiseh paiseh :D

Tamron 70-300 vc usd, superb lens for the budget user.

for my own case, I think 18-105 is better =x... (that's for me) haha..

and my combo its either the 18-105 and 50mm or the 35mm prime..

Hi all,

since talking about lens here, would like to tag on and ask a newbie question too. Bear with me pls.
For the 18-55mm lens, i observed that they have a limited aperture of f3.5-5.6. Is it difficult to achieve background blur with such lens due to its aperture?
I kinda like background blur effects so I hope to seek advice in this!

Thnks :) newbie here too!

CubbyT, hope you dun mind me tagging in your thread :)

Hi all,

since talking about lens here, would like to tag on and ask a newbie question too. Bear with me pls.
For the 18-55mm lens, i observed that they have a limited aperture of f3.5-5.6. Is it difficult to achieve background blur with such lens due to its aperture?
I kinda like background blur effects so I hope to seek advice in this!

Thnks :) newbie here too!

CubbyT, hope you dun mind me tagging in your thread :)

Hi bro. It's possible to achieve out of focus shots with any lens including kit 18-55mm. My humble experience tells me prime lens and lens with fix aperture (f/2.8) can help you achieve them with less effort and skills. For the most affordable experience try the 50mm f/1.8 :D

Thank you all for the advises. Image quality of 18-200mm is not as good as the 55-200mm is it? Next, how to differentiate which is fast lens?

Btw, i will get a dry box also. AIPO EX38, I think.

Thank you all for the advises. Image quality of 18-200mm is not as good as the 55-200mm is it? Next, how to differentiate which is fast lens?
You can find tons of reviews online that analyze and test lenses. Check the details, e.g. on photozone.de.
A 'fast lens' is a lens with (constant) wide maximum aperture, those with f/2.8 or wider. The terms come from the fact that those lenses let in more light, hence allowing faster shutter speed.

Last edited:

Btw, i will get a dry box also. AIPO EX38, I think.

Bro Octarine has explained the first part. Maybe I can offer a simple tip for the second part. It's a dry cabinet, not dry box right? Get a dry cabinet hor, dry box can skip :)

both the Sigma 18-200mm & 18-250mm is an overlap of your 18-55mm

if you are buying either, then consider selling your 18-5mm and get a 50mm f1.8 prime

agreed. 50mm prime is gd.

Oh ya. It's dry cabinet.

Hmmmmm... I will do more research on the lenses before confirming....