Just to say Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptred

Nov 9, 2004
Hello all Shifus and Shijies:

Been reading through the threads in this forum for the past week. Decided to join the forum Cos it seems very active and the members helpful.

I am a newbie to photography (been using point-and-shoot film only) and recently considered upgrading to digital photography. Still considering a good and affordable camera to switch to. Please advise.

Thanks.

wats your budget?

About 1K?.. Looking at the Panasonic FZ20 range..

Or isit better to start off with a cheaper range digital, then progress to a better range when I improve and the prices drop?

Personal view, use 500 to buy a cheap SLR and lens the use the next 500 to buy films and development :D

blurblock said:
Personal view, use 500 to buy a cheap SLR and lens the use the next 500 to buy films and development :D

blurblock is correct, learn from the old ways, you may feel the pain of lousy photos as started off, but you will learn faster as you seldom made that stupid mistake again.....

assuming this person is of high determination... then the trial n error way is good. but otherwise i think a mid range PnS digicam will suffice to keep the interest high and generate enough learning oppurtunities for the budding photographer to keep him from straying. :p your 1k should get you a nice canon S powershot series one. it has manual controls that will last you until the upgrade to a DSLR. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Personally, I like digital photography because
1) It is more economical in the long run
2) I can post online for critiques

I dun intend to print out my photos much, only taking to learn manual photography. Will only consider printing when I do perform.

Some questions:
How does the FZ20 not perform up to standards?
What is the difference between a SLR/DSLR and a prosumer (eg. FZ20), other than the internal structure?

As you can see, my opinion is a little biased towards the FZ20, so I'm quite worried.

ptred said:
Thanks for the advice.

Personally, I like digital photography because
1) It is more economical in the long run
2) I can post online for critiques

I dun intend to print out my photos much, only taking to learn manual photography. Will only consider printing when I do perform.

Some questions:
How does the FZ20 not perform up to standards?
What is the difference between a SLR/DSLR and a prosumer (eg. FZ20), other than the internal structure?

As you can see, my opinion is a little biased towards the FZ20, so I'm quite worried.
Sorry for going off-topic.
Did more reading up and realised I was too rushed.

Gosu_John, can you please advise what to look out for in a canon S powershot?

Status
Not open for further replies.