Just the 2 of us

ryanwhoo

Aug 11, 2008
2fa67f482133f1c934235b73c2a03954_L.jpg

Larger image without border

I had just bought my 1st DSLR and went Marina Barrage to learn to take some shots. After spending some time taking night scenes of the Singapore Flyer and the IR, I was walking down the slope when I saw this couple sitting on the other end of the barrage. Waited for my chance to snap this when no one else was in the frame.

Using D90 with kit lens at 105mm. Picture cropped and burned.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Would like some C&C on composition and PP. Thinking if i had over-done on burning.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to show the feeling of this couple in their own world.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was on my way leaving the barrage when I saw this couple. Could not get closer to them and I could only zoom in to 105mm on kit. Waited for the chance when there's no one else in the frame.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I liked how the light is kind of like a spotlight on them so i enhanced the feeling by burning the rest of the picture. Not sure if I've overdone it. :dunno:

Last edited:
a lil more cropping might help in my opinion? :)

Thanks Kiat for your suggestion. I wanted to frame in the "Pump House" and also to give the "emptiness" feeling of the picture thus the bigger crop. Also because I had maxed out on the zoom and should I enlarge the picture anymore, the couple would get too blur for comfort. :)

feels ok bah. could use as a signature i think... was that the natural lighting or was it post edited?

what i feel would be better:

1: dun add the pump house. very distracting.
2: crop tighter. use rules of thirds, leave couple along the right side third, and leave left side 3rd empty. will give a better mood. then u want u can burn there to make right side lighted only.

Last edited:
feels ok bah. could use as a signature i think... was that the natural lighting or was it post edited?

what i feel would be better:

1: dun add the pump house. very distracting.
2: crop tighter. use rules of thirds, leave couple along the right side third, and leave left side 3rd empty. will give a better mood. then u want u can burn there to make right side lighted only.

just offering since it's differing idea...I feel dead centre is fine for this...I would include the pump house if it's not underexposed.:bsmilie:

anyway, if they are seated down in this way, TS should hv enough time for another shot tt's sharper, is it?

just offering since it's differing idea...I feel dead centre is fine for this...I would include the pump house if it's not underexposed.:bsmilie:

anyway, if they are seated down in this way, TS should hv enough time for another shot tt's sharper, is it?

ah since u mentioned... perhaps i shld add in why i feel dead center feels weird.

it looks like a waterfall, and i'm expecting something to drop on the couple:sweat: in a way the lines seems to suggest a seperation. perhaps i'm just weird.

and no ans is right or wrong! just 2 different ppl with different views thats all:sticktong

Appreciate the comments!

Ovaltinemilo>>> "Pump House" was not underexposed but was afraid it will take the attention away from the couple which I'd like "immediate" attention drawn to thus burning everything so that some details still show the surrounding being empty. Din really get better shots after this cuz it was a weekend and there was actually alot of ppl walking around.

Allenleonhart>>> Separation was kind of the idea to show the couple only paying attention to each other. Perhaps if I included the lamp itself in the picture will feel better rather than "something" dropping on them?

I accept all criticism whole-heartedly cuz I've only just started on photography. :)

Appreciate the comments!

Ovaltinemilo>>> "Pump House" was not underexposed but was afraid it will take the attention away from the couple which I'd like "immediate" attention drawn to thus burning everything so that some details still show the surrounding being empty. Din really get better shots after this cuz it was a weekend and there was actually alot of ppl walking around.

Allenleonhart>>> Separation was kind of the idea to show the couple only paying attention to each other. Perhaps if I included the lamp itself in the picture will feel better rather than "something" dropping on them?

I accept all criticism whole-heartedly cuz I've only just started on photography. :)

anyways, there was a lamp? i didnt notice:sweat: good job anyways:thumbsup:i gotta say, thats one nice editing u did though

As for composition, I love this photo. I think it has captured the feeling of "loneliness" perfectly.
Dead centre gives an amazing feel to this photo. :)

The only complaint I have is for the horrid border you added in. The first thing I saw when I looked at the photo was your "little red dot" thingy at the bottom corner.
Oh and posting a larger size would be nice.

As for composition, I love this photo. I think it has captured the feeling of "loneliness" perfectly.
Dead centre gives an amazing feel to this photo. :)

The only complaint I have is for the horrid border you added in. The first thing I saw when I looked at the photo was your "little red dot" thingy at the bottom corner.
Oh and posting a larger size would be nice.

Hahaha! :sweat: Thanks! Still working on my watermark...

Posted link to a larger picture without the ugly watermark for those who want to have a closer look.

Hahaha! Thanks! Still working on my watermark...

Posted link to a larger picture without the ugly watermark for those who want to have a closer look.
hmmm... actually looks a little out of focus from your larger sized image. try cranking up the sharpness?

ts i do not understand what you are trying to achieve here.

you want to capture the couple but same time you want to capture the words pump house? is there any significance of the word that should be inside the picture?

anyways, i would not have framed it in the centre but by the corner.

OOF due to me hand holding and zooming all the way in from the other side of the barrage.

tried framing "Pump House" cuz everyone (at least the locals) know how crowded the barrage is so I felt it adds an element of "alone" in a supposedly crowded location.

Appreciate the suggestion of framing at the corner. Think itz a good idea and I'll try the next time. This shot was taken really fast and like I said, itz my first time with a DSLR (my excuse). :p

It is a nice picture; Like those wedding photos. I can sense the '2 person's world' isolated from the crowd in such a public place; And the spot light effect is great here, that really adds alot of interest to the image.

I think this photo has a sense of scale & the environment; The word 'pump house' is not irrelevant, it just adds a little more interest to the background.

For contrast(just me, yours is alright:)), I will personally add a little bit more, to get the texture of the lighted wall look more pronounced, and also burn the surrounding even darker to make it look more dramatic. Maybe, add a little bit more warm to the temperature.

Overall, composition-wise, it is good. But I think you can add slightly more space at the bottom. The hightlight is pretty near to the bottom edge of the photo which looks a bit tight to me. Maybe can burn darker at the edges to bring the attention back into the photo.

I really love this shot! Makes it feel like they are in a world of their own! The whole spot light nicely draws our attention to the subjects. Great photo!

Thanks for all the comments at critics! Just started in photography so it all helps me confirm if what I'm try to convey gets through or if there's a better way.

Johnlim>>> I did consider showing bottom more to "even out" but if you can see, there's a glass panel and the fountain further down which I've cropped away. Didn't want to introduce too many elements. :)

I'm also a beginner, but I think like the way the light is focus on the two of them, for me I feel like the focus is on them, and I like the idea of that.