Sep 29, 2011
bought 2 manual lenses off ebay in uk

just received it today but...

the items were totally not as described

they were advertised as clear lenses no fungus

but 1 had hazing in quarter sphere

the other had bad fungus

sigh!!!

i duno what to do with these 2 lenses. they were bidded cheap ($30 sgd together) but shippig itself was almost $20sgd!

qns1. how do i clean off the hazing/ fungus

qns2. shld i keep these 2 lenses in my dry box? my other lenses were all clean with no defects.. will the fungi spread to my other lenses?

qns3. shld i even used these lens? i tried it just now, the images were optically intact BUT if i mount it onto my camera will the fungi "Drop" into my mirror and sensor?

:(

Ans for question 1.
There are some shop that offer lens cleaning service but the cost is more than what u have paid for these lens.
Cleaning of lens may remove lens coating

For question 2 i can't give u a confirm ans. Some posting on the forum do indicate that fungi will spread.

Hope these will help

Last edited:
It spreads through spores. Air movement will carry spores with it and deposit it elsewhere. Chances of spores getting into your camera body is higher if the exterior of the rear element is coated with fungus

Instead of throwing more money to clean up the junk lenses, file a dispute thru Paypal.
Learn your lesson...

That's a risk you have to bear when buying from ebay...

You can either return the lenses and ask for full refund including shipping (but not all sellers would refund the shipping cost), file a complain through paypal if seller doesn't want to take them back, or just live w/ them considering as lesson learnt. Lucky they are not very expensive lenses, so the lesson isn't too exp...

Good luck.

u can try pm fatigue from this forum to arrange a meet up with him to let him check whether the condition can be cleaned.

Sorry to hear about your experience. These things do happen and at least it's not a very expensive lesson. As creampuff and fengwei suggested, you may file a dispute with Paypal (if the Seller return policy fails), but chances are you will have to bear the return shipping cost (plus original shipping and forex difference). For me based on your case, it is not worth the hassle except to prove a point to the Seller.

For specific questions :
Q1 - you can try The Camera Workshop at Peninsula, or fellow CSer (fatique) to help in cleaning
Q2 - as mentioned by trowa77, there has been advice on the web not to keep them with the rest of your clean lenses. Makes sense as there is chance of fungus spreading
Q3 - ditto (fungi spread to sensor), though I think it will depend on how little you use

For me, I would consider if the lenses are worth salvaging (picture quality reputation, collectable value etc). I also bear in mind that fungus are not likely to be completely eliminated. Good luck

bought 2 manual lenses off ebay in uk

just received it today but...

the items were totally not as described

they were advertised as clear lenses no fungus

but 1 had hazing in quarter sphere

the other had bad fungus

sigh!!!

i duno what to do with these 2 lenses. they were bidded cheap ($30 sgd together) but shippig itself was almost $20sgd!

qns1. how do i clean off the hazing/ fungus

qns2. shld i keep these 2 lenses in my dry box? my other lenses were all clean with no defects.. will the fungi spread to my other lenses?

qns3. shld i even used these lens? i tried it just now, the images were optically intact BUT if i mount it onto my camera will the fungi "Drop" into my mirror and sensor?

:(

forget it. it happens sometimes :)

all things considered, you're not in a bad position.

u bought them cheap ($50 in total) so even if u had to toss them or convert into a pencil holder, its not a big loss.

u could stick to the principle of the matter and file a dispute but do the math... $50 to ship them here, $20 to ship it back (if seller refuses to cover return shipping) for refund of $30 (if seller refuses to refund shipping and this would be consistent with ebay rules)... a better scenario scenario - full refund with shipping $50 (after exchange rate, probably $48-49 ;)).

u could ask but i really don't think that the seller will refund u $70 to cover shipping both ways.

frankly, for an item of this price, i would not bother if i had to pay shipping back. i've seen listings of lenses with fungus sell for around that price anyway so u didn't exactly lose out. some pple do pay that price to buy them for parts. just move on lah.

what lenses are these anyway?

creampuff said:
Instead of throwing more money to clean up the junk lenses, file a dispute thru Paypal.
Learn your lesson...

This. Just file a dispute

it not worth sending back for refund if you bear the return shipping cost.
instead as some has suggested, request for partial refund. This is to cover some cost for cleaning.
most important, DON'T send ebay feedback on your purchase for the seller yet.
once seller agreed for partial refund, you may submit your "negative" feedback as you wish.
you are lucky that lens bought from ebay since comsumer is protected.
i once paid US$100+ for a lens from seller from Australia in PF, the lens never arrive & seller MIA.
another time bought a MF lens 28mm/f2.8, found the small bearings that hold the apecture lever all gone. so lens cannot "A" setting. it was then sold off cheap.
btw, what lens in question that you bought from evilbay?

I bought 2 lens

1 is some prinzmetal prime
- wah the turning blade is so tight
- 30% haze
- fungus +

2 is Miranda zoom
- fungus ++++

I bought 2 lens

- 30% haze
- fungus +

2 is Miranda zoom
- fungus ++++

the prinz lens should be a nice, solid metal lens barrel. can convert to a nice pen/pencil holder :cool: and no, i'm not joking.

Both r solid metals. Shld I experiment and try cleaning both lenses myself? Maybe I shld take out the components and make them into a glasses case. Haha it would be so cool. Or pad it to become a container for my smaller da35/2.4 or m1.7

How's the seller rating? If returns are accepted quickly arrange for return. Raise a dispute through eBay immediately. Good luck! :eek:

sinned79 said:
u can try pm fatigue from this forum to arrange a meet up with him to let him check whether the condition can be cleaned.

Fatigue is away and will not be available till 22nd Dec.

I bought 2 lens

- 30% haze
- fungus +

2 is Miranda zoom
- fungus ++++

Both from the same seller?
Well, That's the risk of buying from EBAY as you can't see the actual items. I also have this issues recently but the buyer is willing to honour to take back my lens and refund. (Still waiting for my lens to reach them. Argh)

Anyway, contact the seller first, take pictures of those lenses with Haze or Fungus to show to the seller and hope he honour the return policy. 2 scenrio is which benefit you are full refund with shipment or refund of lens but need not shop back. It's not worthwhile to ship back the lens for the refunds of lens cost only.

Lastly, file a complain through paypal if seller doesn't want to take them back.

That's why sometime buying online is a scary and exciting event. If it is what is decribed and you got it at a good price. It will be a damn fulfilling haul. But sometime negative side appears which sometime reminds me to buy it locally from B&S.

If you stay in the East, can try DE Camera.
Mr. Philip Tay @ 67426383

hmm...dun mind selling them to me for $20? i love to dismantle them to see whats inside :)

Hehehe I'm going to try cleaning myself first and then gonna convert them into lens holders