just received my ebay lenses.. but

Hehehe I'm going to try cleaning myself first and then gonna convert them into lens holders

think it through lah :) u have 4 options:

- contact seller, see if u can come to a mutually acceptable arrangement. return / refund? partial refund?

- send for professional cleaning if u REALLY want to use these lenses?

- keep it and play with them? u may learn a thing or 2 from dismantling these old lenses :) even if u can't use them as lenses, they can be converted to a lot of creative purposes.

- sell it to other forumers who want to play with them?

important thing is to move on and not let this matter affect u too much. buying from ebay is like "a box of chocolates" in the forrest gump sense - u never know what u're gonna get. if u've taken all precautions and got bitten, then no choice.

thats why i'm very selective abt what i buy from ebay and i only buy if the price is right and i can't source it locally. i've gotten gems, i've also gotten lenses in unacceptable condition that i've had to return. i wasted money on that one but no choice. for $300+, better to return and refund even if i lose $50 for shipping both ways.

In the past I had purchase some lenses from ebay and PentaxForum b4.
It is good to check the reputation of the seller before you commit.
normally if the price are too good to be true..u should already know why.
if possible ask for photoof the item and always pay using paypal and pay the extra interest charged, because you can log a dispute if the item have problem.

During shipping, I will always instruct the seller to insert sillicon gel and wrap the lens with bubble wrap airtight.
I will also explain to them the rational for it as the lenses will travel from a cold/dry climate (europe/USA) to our tropical little red dot country, having the sillicon gel and airtight wrap will reduce the risk of fungus growth. Some user may also ask for extra fee for the request usually just a few dollars extra.
So far all my lenses arrived nicely and fungus free....

Last edited:
I used to help my friend clean prime manual lens,

if you like, I can help you clean prime lens for free. zoom is a bit more complex to take apart, you can youtube, there is a lot of video guide on how to dissemble lens manually and clean.

it is quite simple if you follow the steps

sunnycamera said:
I used to help my friend clean prime manual lens,

if you like, I can help you clean prime lens for free. zoom is a bit more complex to take apart, you can youtube, there is a lot of video guide on how to dissemble lens manually and clean.

it is quite simple if you follow the steps

Thank you for the offer!!! If u dont mind, can I watch u clean and u teach me how to? Thanks!!!!! :)

TS, do you mind to share the seller Ebay's ID?
so that others can be aware of this seller.

I've messages the eBay seller he was apologizing profusely for the sale say he will refund . The lenses were won cheap but it's the shipping that kills for two big metal lenses. He wanna activate refund for the lenses

I think nvm. I'm already glad he has some after sales care. Shipping wa expensive but not his fault.

Better luck next time! Now looking forward to have it cleaned!

TS, do you mind to share the seller Ebay's ID?
so that others can be aware of this seller.

could it be the Miranda 70-210 1:4.5 - 5.6 MC macro zoom lens Pentax K closed on Nov 19???:think:
and Prinzflex Auto Multi coated 1:2.8 135mm Telephoto lens Pentax K closed on Nov 18???:think:

Last edited:
TS, trust me... This is what i do..

1) File a complain with PayPal
2) Return shipping, BUT empty box.. PayPal just needs prove that you have shipped it out. How? TRACKING number.. Meaning an empty package with a tracking number is valid.
3) LAUGH out LOUD because you have scammed the scammer...

This is what i do to teach these unscrupulous sellers in my years running an online business. And of coz, to get free stuff.. Woops! :p

Trust me, trust PayPal.. ;) But don't overdo the free stuff part... Hee!

No la I dont think he's scamming just that he never look into the lens enough cus the fungi was really very severe compared to his initial impression. He said he shld have look thru the lens under a bright light source

And I've contacted him and he has activate refund despite me telling him no need. He was nice and kept messaging me thru out.

2) Return shipping, BUT empty box.. PayPal just needs prove that you have shipped it out. How? TRACKING number.. Meaning an empty package with a tracking number is valid.

This is what i do to teach these unscrupulous sellers in my years running an online business. And of coz, to get free stuff.. Woops! :p

trust you??? THAT is an outrageously dishonest thing to do! what's wrong with you?!

u think its so glorious to "scam the scammer"? by doing this, you sink to the level of a scammer yourself.

not every deal that goes wrong is the result of a scam. there are honest mistakes, there are misunderstandings / mis-communications. and ebay / paypal makes it easy for both sides to reach a fair resolution.

by doing what u do, u are giving singapore-based buyers a bad name. so don't be surprised next time u see a good deal, seller ships worldwide but puts singapore on exclusion, together with nigeria.

SyncGuy said:

The wonder now alot of sellers starting to nt ship to singapore was wondering why

No la I dont think he's scamming just that he never look into the lens enough cus the fungi was really very severe compared to his initial impression. He said he shld have look thru the lens under a bright light source

And I've contacted him and he has activate refund despite me telling him no need. He was nice and kept messaging me thru out.

Given the benefit of doubt, that's very gentlemen of the seller to offer refund since he realized it was his mistake.
The seller should know cost of cleaning the lens cost more than the lens itself.

Hmm SyncGuy, doubtful advice (on the return shipping part). Sometimes genuine mistakes are made, and some sellers are quick to try to remedy. Remember as Buyers we also have our reputation to maintain.

Last edited:
Given the benefit of doubt, that's very gentlemen of the seller to offer refund since he realized it was his mistake.
The seller should know cost of cleaning the lens cost more than the lens itself.

i agree. i would give this seller the benefit of the doubt too. he wouldn't bother to communicate this way if he was trying to pull a fast one.

as you guys know.. not all the sellers are photographer themselves.. most are just resellers.. so their description is kind of off the mark..
be prepared to get not perfect lens from them, eventho they stated as perfect or rate them as 9 or 10

for myself.. the lens i got is ok externally but got haze.. its cheap so i just treat them as a lesson.. and the seller rate as mint... LOL

For me what matters now is how do I clean these lenses? Heh

Hee...! So much negativity on the ebay trick.. Well, that's why there's a workaround.. Get a US address and ship over. ;)

Control market.... Hee! To me, it's not true that such sellers makes "genuine" mistake. There's a reason why sometimes they actually do it on purpose; i.e for 5 stars due to "wonderful customer service after receiving bad products, fast to respond, amazingly good communications. Will buy again!" reviews. And also "let's just give that bugger his stuffs and hope he don't complain" mentality.. I can go on and on, but it's just one of the many hidden ways of being a "good" eBay seller. ;)
Got attend course one lei.. Haha!

Anyways, if i were to keep it, i'd try open up one to see the internals myself.. :D

if sellers want 5 stars, just ask politely like this one :bsmilie:

if sellers want 5 stars, just ask politely like this one :bsmilie:

LOL. i like an honest man / woman :bsmilie: it saves time.

i've received similar notes with my purchases before and if i dun encounter any problems, i will give a positive feedback :)

LoL... Yea.. That usually works for me... Hee! But can be tiring.. ;P