Just one question on FZ10/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeWorld

Jan 18, 2002
East Coast
lifeworld.multiply.com
Do you guys depend on the 'exposure guide' when shooting in ASM mode?
I find it very useful, though a bit 'lehchay'. The 'live' histogram is another great feature that I depend on.

Otherwise, I would trust the P mode. This is very 'sinnang' shooting.

I do. Histogram, sometime i did use. But after looking for long.. my eye tends to get tired and most of the time it is balance, the photo doesnt seem what I want. But I still uses them ;)

what exposure guide? i never really use the live histogram.

LifeWorld said:
Do you guys depend on the 'exposure guide' when shooting in ASM mode?
I find it very useful, though a bit 'lehchay'. The 'live' histogram is another great feature that I depend on.

Otherwise, I would trust the P mode. This is very 'sinnang' shooting.

Hi LifeWorld, myself, I always fire a zeroing shot first. :bsmilie:
Then adjust the shutterspeed or aperture depening on effect I want.
No offence to theITguy, I will shoot many many pics with a variety of settings, then select the final product, no need to worry about running out of film :sweatsm:

Hi all,

I was referring to owner manual page 51, Manual Exposure Assistance.
This is useful, coz so long as the indicator is on '0', we rough estimate of adequate exposure.

rhair78, that was exactly what I would do if I am not too sure of the right setting for an exposure.

josho, the histogram is pretty acurate too; just insure you have a 'mountain' and not a 'valley', the exposure will be adequate. I usually depend on it when the lighting is not even, for eg: scene with partly shaded and shadow areas against partly bright area. Use it to determine the right exposure for such scene.

LifeWorld said:
Hi all,

I was referring to owner manual page 51, Manual Exposure Assistance.
This is useful, coz so long as the indicator is on '0', we rough estimate of adequate exposure.

rhair78, that was exactly what I would do if I am not too sure of the right setting for an exposure.

josho, the histogram is pretty acurate too; just insure you have a 'mountain' and not a 'valley', the exposure will be adequate. I usually depend on it when the lighting is not even, for eg: scene with partly shaded and shadow areas against partly bright area. Use it to determine the right exposure for such scene.

Lifeworldy- yeah. I knew about it. I had to agreed that it is very accurate on the shooting of getting correct explosure. I need to use that a often. Sometime just always forgotten to on that. But then, when I look at the LCD screen, the feel is not what I wan. Guess I need to place more on my Aperture. As rhair78 mention, need not to worry for film. Hehehe.. (just a joke, ITguy)

Which mode you use depends on what you are shooting. Some of the questions to ask are "Do you have time to do any adjustment ?", "Do you have any oportunity to reshoot ?"

I use P-Mode most of the time (95%), then adjust exposure using exposure compensation, +/- depends on scene. If the aperture/shutter speed is not what I wanted, I use the program-shift feature. All this features are on the FZ20.

Reasons why I use the above vs. Manual Mode / Aperture mode / Shutter Speed Mode.
1. The above is much faster and I still have full control of the aperture and shutter-speed if needed.

2. When shooting for situation where the moment last but a moment, you don't have much time for any adjustment. For cases where really no time to adjust anything, I will drop exposure and/or program-shift adjustment as well, and take using P-Mode. Is better to get the shot than nothing at all.

Some tricks that you may want to try:
1. Preset the aperture to the one you used often in aperture mode. If needed you can rotate the knob to aperture mode and the aperture is all set and ready. You can do the same for shutter-speed mode as well. FZ20 "remember" the last settings.

2. Use AUTO BRACKET, if you don't have time to retake for exposure adjustment. Remember, this is DIGITAL, there's no film cost and it's worth while to get a large memory card.

Histrogram is useful when you have all the time in the world to do adjustment and reshoot. I use it when taking still object and scenery. In general you use histogram to get a balance shot...but you can use it to purposely take an unbalance shot for effect that you are trying to achieve.

Bottom line is...use the mode that is suitable for your shooting style. If your current style get what you wanted then don't change it but improve on it. However if your current shooting style only gets 50% or less of your shoots, then it is time to try others and find one that suite you. There is no one single style to fit all photographer.

Remember....have fun with photography...it shouldn't add preasure to you as we have lot's of those from elsewhere.

Good points taken in my mind. ;)

Under fast circumstances, I tend to use P mode mostly as well. :)

For those who use the live histogram feature on the FZ20, you need to be aware that sometime the histogram is no longer white, it is shown in orange-yellow color.

When it is NOT white, it means the final histogram may not tally to what you are seeing now. You will need to check the histogram after the shot is taken. Usually happens on low light situation.

I believe this to be the same for other Panasonic model with live histogram. It works the same on FX1 as well.

tankm said:
For those who use the live histogram feature on the FZ20, you need to be aware that sometime the histogram is no longer white, it is shown in orange-yellow color.

When it is NOT white, it means the final histogram may not tally to what you are seeing now. You will need to check the histogram after the shot is taken. Usually happens on low light situation.

I believe this to be the same for other Panasonic model with live histogram. It works the same on FX1 as well.

Have not noticed 'orange-yellow' histogram so far! Hmm.... in low light can't depend on histogram liao...... you won't get 'mountain' at all! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.