Just how low are big comapnies willing to go to avoid paying usage fees for images?

bowwow

Spotted recently at a local up-market supermarket.

$ForumRunner_20140509_210146.jpg

$ForumRunner_20140509_210206.jpg

This is a new low.

Spotted recently at a local up-market supermarket.

This is a new low.

Even usage with that watermark is still an infringement of copyright. If you forward the thing to thinkstock, I think they may have a case and have the legal means to take actoin. And I believe the whole creative world of content creators will hope they win.

Either they engaged some students as designers, or they did it in house. This is totally insane!

Haha, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they 'blame the intern'. Either that or they outsourced it to the cheapest bidder, who may tend to hire untrained/unskilled people to do layout.

Reminds me of another instance where I received an EDM that was sent out with images with the istockphoto watermark. I emailed them about the incident, don't think I got a reply. Forgot about it till now. Found it still archived in my email.

In the case of EDMs, it's possible the person doing the email blast accidentally picked up the mockup comp by mistake, especially if the designer named all the files very similarly (some have the habit of using the word FINAL in everything), can be confusing to a layperson.
E.g.,
FA-10may2009-EDM-mockup-FINAL.jpg
FA-10may2009-EDM-FINAL.jpg

xOwUxrU.jpg

Last edited:
Possible, but for it to go all the way to print, it has to slip past a lot of people who weren't paying attention :bsmilie:

Reminds me of another instance where I received an EDM that was sent out with images with the istockphoto watermark. I emailed them about the incident, don't think I got a reply. Forgot about it till now. Found it still archived in my email.

Someone should stomp this and make $50. LOL.

Last edited:
Someone should stomp this and make $50. LOL.

Aye, too bad I just can't bring myself to do it. ;p

Actually, I just recalled an incident in which a colleague accidentally sent a publication (think it might have been an annual report) for print, and had missed a couple of images that he forgot to relink after the full sized stock images were purchased, so the istock comp images were still used. Thankfully, he had already done some DI to remove the istock logo when presenting the drafts to the client, so the issue was pixelation due to low resolution rather than a big istock logo over the image. Still a problem, but a lot less embarrassing.

Bottom line, mistakes do happen due to negligence (lack of QC) & ignorance (untrained/uneducated), so I wouldn't assume straightaway that someone was trying to avoid paying usage fees especially if they didn't even bother to hide the watermark. Of course, it doesn't excuse the mistake.

Last edited:
Aye, too bad I just can't bring myself to do it. ;p

Actually, I just recalled an incident in which a colleague accidentally sent a publication (think it might have been an annual report) for print, and had missed a couple of images that he forgot to relink after the full sized stock images were purchased, so the istock comp images were still used. Thankfully, he had already done some DI to remove the istock logo when presenting the drafts to the client, so the issue was pixelation due to low resolution rather than a big istock logo over the image. Still a problem, but a lot less embarrassing.

Bottom line, mistakes do happen due to negligence (lack of QC) & ignorance (untrained/uneducated), so I wouldn't assume straightaway that someone was trying to avoid paying usage fees especially if they didn't even bother to hide the watermark. Of course, it doesn't excuse the mistake.

One or 2 photos I understand. Every photo in an EDM? damn...

One or 2 photos I understand. Every photo in an EDM? damn...

Some clients supply very few images, very dependent on stock. In the past, I've worked on 40 page publications, where up to 80-90% of all images were istock comp images. Purchased and replaced only after the layout is approved, usually a couple of days before sending off to print.

Think stock is subscription base, why need download a comp leh?

Not familiar with thinkstock... Looks like they have image packs as well, so I imagine one would use comps for layout first, then only purchase, download and replace after approval? Of course, it could just as likely whoever did it had no intention of purchasing, but not smart enough to remove the watermark ;p

Last edited:
Agree, should had just stomped it.

Report!! A disgrace to all creative industries!

How does a comping image get to print..... and at that kind of size!?!?! I'm truly shocked! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've been in the design business for more than 15 years and even my most junior designer would never make such a bad mistake.
Even if the designer missed that, their superior or even the printer should have caught it.