Just got the free dry cabinet from canon and....

TheLoneRanger

Mar 14, 2013
Singapore
well its an Aipo, model AS- 26L. according to old threads i've dug up(which are now closed), aipo is not very reliable, but i shall wait and see. the issue is...anyone else has this same model? i know i'm supposed to set it to around 45% RH, but then the dial only has ABCDE and the manual does not explain which setting is for which level.( this is an analog model, not digital) totally lost.

P.S. i am aware that i should probably not expect too much since this is a "free" model, but im hoping it can still last me for some time until i am confident enough to invest more in a better brand.

at the same time, any other tips would be appreciated =D
for example, do you take out your battery from the dslr or just leave it in when storing the body in the cabinet?(while the 2008/2009 thread discusses about putting the battery in the cabinet or taking it out, they do not actually say whether it is in the dslr or separated from it

and finally, would it actually make things worse if i switch off the electricity when i go out and only turn it on when i'm at home? just to be on the safe side as nobody is home most of the time...

thank you everyone. ;p

Just sharing my thoughts
- If what you said is true (about the reliability of the dry cabinet) I'm almost quite confident that your fungus repair cost will be more than the cost of getting a reliable dry cabinet...
- I have no issues with the battery in or outside the camera in the dry cabinet.
- I would never turn off the power of the dry cabinet.. Pretty much defeats the purpose of having one if you only on it when you are at home..

The typical consumption of such dry cabinets is 5 Watts, do your Maths and use the last utility bill to get the cost per year. See whether it matters to run for the switch every morning and evening.
Get a second hygrometer (Sim Lim tower etc.) for verification. Just use your cabinet. Any 'better brand' cabinet will also only produce: .. less humid air. Can you tell the difference?
The only disadvantage of leaving a battery in the camera is that you might forget it to charge. The battery has no opinion about either location and humidity level ..

well its an Aipo, model AS- 26L. according to old threads i've dug up(which are now closed), aipo is not very reliable, but i shall wait and see. the issue is...anyone else has this same model? i know i'm supposed to set it to around 45% RH, but then the dial only has ABCDE and the manual does not explain which setting is for which level.( this is an analog model, not digital) totally lost.

P.S. i am aware that i should probably not expect too much since this is a "free" model, but im hoping it can still last me for some time until i am confident enough to invest more in a better brand.

for example, do you take out your battery from the dslr or just leave it in when storing the body in the cabinet?(while the 2008/2009 thread discusses about putting the battery in the cabinet or taking it out, they do not actually say whether it is in the dslr or separated from it

and finally, would it actually make things worse if i switch off the electricity when i go out and only turn it on when i'm at home? just to be on the safe side as nobody is home most of the time...

thank you everyone. ;p
Dont have experience with this brand.

But as for whether to take out battery or not.. I, myself always make sure to leave the battery out and only put in if i am going out for a shoot..

No. You dont have to switch it off.. just leave it on...it really dont add alot to your monthly bills. dont worry.

thanks guys but im not actually too concerned about the bill. i understand it is less than a dollar per month. what i meant is the safety issue....there's only one socket in my room so i have many, many power extensions. i usually just turn off the main power when i leave the house so nothing is overloaded and blows up.i'm no electrical engineer, but i figured this would be better...or am i just being paranoid :bsmilie:

Last edited:
thanks guys but im not actually too concerned about the bill. i understand it is less than a dollar per month. what i meant is the safety issue....there's only one socket in my room so i have many, many power extensions. i usually just turn off the main power when i leave the house so nothing is overloaded and blows up.i'm no electrical engineer, but i figured this would be better...or am i just being paranoid :bsmilie:

Don't worry about it.. My room single power socket is powering my computer, fan, dry cabinet, hp chargers, etc...

thank you everyone. ;p
keep your camera battery inside your camera, only take it out if you are not using it for a very long time, eg more than 3 months.

do keep your camera battery fully charged periodically, don't not let your camera battery drop low and leave it for long, it may damage your battery permanently and unable to revival it.

let dry cabinet run 24/7, that is what they design for.

5w = 0.005 kwh

0.005 kwh x 24hr x 30 days x $0.2628 (rate per kwh as per last month) = how much utility it cost per month

a normal household power point is 13 amp.

220 volts x 13 amps = 2860 watts.

you need to connect more than 572 units of Aipo model AS- 26L dry cabinet to overload your power outlet.

hope this help.

Why do you need to power off the cabinet when you're not at home?

Saving electricity? It doesn't use that much electricity.
Fire hazard? I don't think it will spark up and spontaneously combust randomly... unless you have cardboard boxes all around and your floor is covered with 1cm of dust etc... if the sockets get overloaded, the power will trip automatically. If there was ever a risk of it blowing up I don't think businesses will want to sell it in the first place...

that being said, if you're concerned you could spend ~$100-120 to get a new one... or put a thirsty hippo in the cabinet. :sweatsm:

...or am i just being paranoid :bsmilie:
Just stop is and use reason. You can use multiple extensions and switch off only those that are not required. If you are concerned about safety then the first thing is to add up the total electrical consumption and compare with the fuse rating.

Can I just check, where can I get a reliable hygrometer? Because I have yet to collect my dry cab but it's a free one from canon so I think better safe than sorry. I know the daiso one has an accuracy of +/-5%. Is the one from reddotphoto reliable? They claim a +/-1%

Can I just check, where can I get a reliable hygrometer? Because I have yet to collect my dry cab but it's a free one from canon so I think better safe than sorry. I know the daiso one has an accuracy of +/-5%. Is the one from reddotphoto reliable? They claim a +/-1%
Do the salt test to determine the actual accuracy (or offset). Search the forum for hygrometer and salt test, described a few times.

Sorry to go OT here. Are you renting a place or is this your own house? Reason why I ask is because currently the prices that a reliable electrician charges for running another set of 2 point or 4 points from mains is not too expensive and having many devices running off 1 point could result in brown outs which will cost more in the long run as well as pose a fire hazard for your whole house. Can't be good for your peace of mind too right?

Anyone can just make any claim......if you browse through some of the websites, you'll be able to see that the same model has an accuracy of +/-5%RH and not +/-1%RH. Sometimes people get mixed up between "Resolution" and "Accuracy". Resolution means each jump is either +1% or -1%.

Reference:

HTC1 Humidity Temperature Tester Meter Clock hygrometer : Gigxon Ecommerce

Digital Thermometer Hygrometer for HTC1 LCD Temp Humidity Clock

hi everyone thank you so much for all your advice. it's all been noted and i've gained some new knowledge yet again :D

sorry to side track abit..

just bought OMD and need to purchase a dry cabinet and i don't know what is recommend

sorry to side track abit..
just bought OMD and need to purchase a dry cabinet and i don't know what is recommend
If you need to say 'Sorry' just don't do it.
It is recommended that CS members browse and search the forum first before posting a question. For Frequently Asked Questions we have the sticky threads. Recommended is air of lower and controlled humidity (see camera manual).
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/others/481380-sharing-my-research-dry-cabinets.html

I am B.Eng (which means, I am an electrical engineer). Don't overload your CURRENT rating by plugging in too many high current devices such as Aircon , Fan, Sugarcane Juicing Machine etc (anything which has spinning machinery) . Anyway if your power rating for the dry cabinet is 5W, its current is probably in the mA region ( 22 mA? ) . It is alright.

Uncle Catchlights has already shown you...

Don't be too focused on equipment care (take care, yes, but they are not fragile stuff)

Spend more time shooting and enjoying your craft.

i just gotten AIPO AS-25L yesterday and fiddled around trying to "figure" out the right RH by turning the knob, however, the description from user manual and the setting on the cabinet are kinda different.

Indication on the knob of the cabinet shows (from left to right) L (High in chinese) and H (Low in chinese) and the red LED dimmed down when knob is turning anti clockwise whereas the manual says LED should be dimming when turning clockwise.

Nevertheless, i trial and error based on my read-up infos from the net and eventually the temperature maintain around 42-44% RH with my knob at 12 o'clock direction.

Would it be safe for me to put in my gears based on the current RH as i understand there is some +/- % to note.

Thanks!

Nevertheless, i trial and error based on my read-up infos from the net and eventually the temperature maintain around 42-44% RH with my knob at 12 o'clock direction.
Temperature is in Celsius, the relative humidity comes in %. Temperature is only given as reference point, you cannot change it. But any given figure of relative humidity requires the temperature to become meaningful.
Would it be safe for me to put in my gears based on the current RH as i understand there is some +/- % to note.
This is not an oven that you need to preheat before pushing in the cake. Your camera will not crumble to wet dust just because the humidity is a few points above recommended level. (Otherwise your camera wouldn't survive outside, right? :) ). Put your gear inside, check again in 6h earliest. Adjust the knob to lower or higher settings if necessary. Don't worry too much about accuracy, the display is not and the camera does not require to be stored at accurate figures. If in doubt, keep RH a bit lower.