Just got myself a Sigma 8-16 HSM

evolutioner

May 7, 2010
And it's awesome!!

if anyone should get a UWA, this is definately the choice!

IMGP6794.jpg

IMGP6831.jpg

IMGP7068.jpg

Untitled.jpg

IMGP7144.jpg

RM2400 from jaybeeee

Love these.

I know, from my limited use of a 10-20 before, how tough it is to shoot UW portraits or anything else, much less do it well. But you pulled it off nicely.

nice and sharp lens.
too bad no filter.

Yah, if can fit the Tianya Filter I'm confirm Sold. Maybe can try DIY.

I diy it . Mine can fit in a sq nd filter with 9mm . Anything below that will have vignetting as the sq filter is not big enough :)

I diy it . Mine can fit in a sq nd filter with 9mm . Anything below that will have vignetting as the sq filter is not big enough :)
can u show some steps on how to do this?

btw here are some of my better shots with this lens from my trip in amsterdam and a few cities in germany

IMGP7491.jpg

IMGP7571.jpg

IMGP7981.jpg

IMGP0949-1.jpg

IMGP8922.jpg

IMGP0931.jpg

IMGP0580.jpg

IMGP0184.jpg

IMGP9039.jpg

As u can see this lens gives a pretty dramatic look to buildings and architectures.
To me, the extreme wideness allows me to take handheld pictures at extremely slow shutter speed, i've even managed to get a clear shot at 0.3s shutter speed.

In short, anyone looking to get a UWA should definitely consider this lens, it's far more formidable than i thought and to me, it made my trip much more worthwhile with it's 8mm

Last edited:
Woah vertical perspective distortion is quite bad at ultra wide angles, all those leaning trees and buildings... Not easy to shoot at 8mm!

I heard this lens has good optical performance.

Unfortunately, it is not able to use filters without DIY, etc... Which is a bit of a letdown.. :)

yup, i chose to tilt upwards when shooting to get the distortions..
if you choose to shoot straight ahead, it'll be much closer to normal than my images show

wah lao cannot use filter is a big no no.... whats wrong with the 10-20 anyway...

perhaps next model will have filter thread at rear mount :bsmilie:

something like this :
englishzenitarn3.jpg

sorry to OOT, but is there any difference if you put filter at front mount vs rear mount?

something like this :

sorry to OOT, but is there any difference if you put filter at front mount vs rear mount?

should be no difference... but for ppl shooting landscapes, its the most important thing... i dunno if there is a rear mount GND/ND etc.... but if have then there is no diff...

perhaps next model will have filter thread at rear mount

Yes there can be a difference. Rear mounted filters for ultrawide or fisheye lenses are usually designed as part of the optical path, so there has to be a filter in place at all times. May be a challenge if you need to use a GND.

something like this :
englishzenitarn3.jpg

Rear mount? Huge problems. Practical ones during usage, naturally.

Imagine if you're shooting in the sea, with the waves all around you, and you're supposed to mount a ND filter + GND... And your next move is to unmount the lens... And a big wave comes... And then...

Getting splashed on the front element/exterior is a lot less hazardous. Not to mention, if you use strong ND filters like the ND110 and ND106, even with today's excellent live view implementations "boosting" the image, I suspect you will have problems at sunset timing/twilight timing.