Just Got my RRS Ultimate-Pro Omni Privot Package and need some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhyge

Apr 5, 2003
Jurong
Visit site
Just got my RRS Ultimate-Pro Privot Package plus other parts, cost me a b$$b.

A nice piece of precision engineering! Everything shiok except pocket!

Really easy to setup as descibed in their web.

Was playing with it and realised (in real practice) that multi-row-mulit col pano is not that straight forward - the keystone effect. cannot stitch properly. Any pano gurus can offer some advice?

I assume you are talking about the keystone effect of the individual images rather than of the final panorama? personally I prefer a little keystone for the whole panorama as it shows a bit more depth and draws one into the image...but if you want a flat panorama done, I believe its an option in the stitching software

If you are talking about the keystone effect of the individual images, then use a lens that is not so wide as to have visible keystone...a long medium lens to short telephoto lens... sure, you would have to take more images/rows to cover the same angle, but you would have a smoother image :)

Also, take into account the relative distance of the various elements in the scene to your camera...there's nothing worse than keystone...except uneven keystone where the top/bottom is worse than the bottom/top because one side has closer elements than the other... although if this were artistically done, the uneven keystone can have a nice looming/spreading vista effect... ;p

when in doubt, take more images/rows at less degrees of shifting, allowing for more overlap in the final panorama production...this uses more of the centre of the lens which is least distorted...and try to take from as far away as your lens allows, so that relative angle changes for each row are minimized...

or worse comes to worse, there is always manual photoshop panorama montaging...difficult but possible... :D

swhyge said:
Just got my RRS Ultimate-Pro Privot Package plus other parts, cost me a b$$b.

A nice piece of precision engineering! Everything shiok except pocket!

Really easy to setup as descibed in their web.

Was playing with it and realised (in real practice) that multi-row-mulit col pano is not that straight forward - the keystone effect. cannot stitch properly. Any pano gurus can offer some advice?
What you need is a panoramic stitching program that can account for pitch. Very few programs are able to do this. I recommend you check out PTGui and PTAssembler. They have free 30-day trial versions available for download.

Thanks for the replies.

1. I was refering to individual photo keystone effect.
2. So far only PTGUI seem to be able to do this.

some of the cases where I got problems
a. trying to take a pano view of my hall - cannot
b. trying to take a pano view (partial only) of my next HDB block - standing about 60~80m (guesstimate only).

PTgui can do b. (PTassembler cannot, panovue also cannot - unless I have done something wrong)

Strange, seems that not many here do multi-col-multi-row pano.

Status
Not open for further replies.