just got my lens adaptor!! can recommend a closeup filter?


Status
Not open for further replies.

shuy

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
240
0
0
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
#1
it's a 46-49 lens adaptor. i wana buy a closeup filter to take small things like dragonflies n stuff.... any recommendations? my zoom is 3X only right now...
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#3
i am wondering. i used a +2 closeup on the F717 but mean i have to sacrifice the other zoom since it render the focus after i use zoom useless. for eg, +2 filter added , zoom above 2x & all i see is fog. so since u have 3x zoom den might as well get a +4 & above to try. & set the zoom to 1x. & try. i am a newbie just offer my 2 cents:D
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#4
Originally posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
i am wondering. i used a +2 closeup on the F717 but mean i have to sacrifice the other zoom since it render the focus after i use zoom useless. for eg, +2 filter added , zoom above 2x & all i see is fog. so since u have 3x zoom den might as well get a +4 & above to try. & set the zoom to 1x. & try. i am a newbie just offer my 2 cents:D
when using closeup filter like +1 , +2 , +3 or +4 diopters , you will loose out the infinity focus ... what you will get is a fixed distance focusing point depend on the diopters used. The higher the diopters used e.g. +4 , the closer your lens to the object. Thus , the magnification is higher.

BTW , a closeup filter is to reduce the min. focus distance.
 

shuy

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
240
0
0
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
#5
Originally posted by megaweb
when using closeup filter like +1 , +2 , +3 or +4 diopters , you will loose out the infinity focus ... what you will get is a fixed distance focusing point depend on the diopters used. The higher the diopters used e.g. +4 , the closer your lens to the object. Thus , the magnification is higher.

BTW , a closeup filter is to reduce the min. focus distance.
sorry but wat's infinity focus? also, do u mean that the closeup filter doesnt magnify the object, but just allows me to focus on the object closer? so i must go nearer if i want the object bigger?
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#6
Originally posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
i am wondering. i used a +2 closeup on the F717 but mean i have to sacrifice the other zoom since it render the focus after i use zoom useless. for eg, +2 filter added , zoom above 2x & all i see is fog. so since u have 3x zoom den might as well get a +4 & above to try. & set the zoom to 1x. & try. i am a newbie just offer my 2 cents:D
Close-up filters do not render the zoom useless. In fact, zooming compliments the function of a close-up filter. If you're using a +2, try moving your cam to around 30-35cm away from subject. You should be able to see that the image turns sharp in the LCD. And by zooming in fully (5x for 717), you'll notice that the subject is magnified tremendously.

A +4 will require approx 20-25cm, a +10 around 10-12cm.

Which close-up to get depends on how much magnification you want.
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#7
Originally posted by shuy
it's a 46-49 lens adaptor. i wana buy a closeup filter to take small things like dragonflies n stuff.... any recommendations? my zoom is 3X only right now...
For dragonflies, try using a +4.
 

megaweb

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
8,541
3
38
East
megaweb.clubsnap.org
#8
Originally posted by shuy
sorry but wat's infinity focus? also, do u mean that the closeup filter doesnt magnify the object, but just allows me to focus on the object closer? so i must go nearer if i want the object bigger?
wat's infinity focus? .. in simple term , it means focus something far .. with closeup filter , you cannot take far shots like scenery , human portrait , etc .. you only have 1 focusing point. So how if you want take scenery ? You have to take out the filter.

e.g. if you use a closeup filter +4 with ur dc x3 zoom , your dc should only focus anything at a distance from 8-12cm ( base on assumption ) ... anything nearer or further , your dc is not able to focus.

why closeup filter doesnt magnify the object ?
e.g. every dc has its own mini. focus distance ... like A40 , it has 16cm min. focus distance for macro. However when you use a closeup filter , you can go closer than 16cm to take macro, thus it magnify the object.
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by azone
Close-up filters do not render the zoom useless. In fact, zooming compliments the function of a close-up filter. If you're using a +2, try moving your cam to around 30-35cm away from subject. You should be able to see that the image turns sharp in the LCD. And by zooming in fully (5x for 717), you'll notice that the subject is magnified tremendously.

A +4 will require approx 20-25cm, a +10 around 10-12cm.

Which close-up to get depends on how much magnification you want.
no wonder...
now i know liao... cos i was focusing rather far... about 50cm away & no matter wat i use its blur with the F717 AF.
thanks.
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#10
Originally posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
no wonder...
now i know liao... cos i was focusing rather far... about 50cm away & no matter wat i use its blur with the F717 AF.
thanks.
Welcome. :)

Btw, just curious. Wats the exact distance you have with your 717 at 5x zoom in order to focus?
 

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2003
16,268
0
0
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
#11
only got the filter yesterday from viewfinder & saw sebastiansong.. hehe
den tried it at night.... will try again tonight.

just got my 717 less than a week ago so kinda new there...
 

shuy

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
240
0
0
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
#12
Originally posted by megaweb
wat's infinity focus? .. in simple term , it means focus something far .. with closeup filter , you cannot take far shots like scenery , human portrait , etc .. you only have 1 focusing point. So how if you want take scenery ? You have to take out the filter.

e.g. if you use a closeup filter +4 with ur dc x3 zoom , your dc should only focus anything at a distance from 8-12cm ( base on assumption ) ... anything nearer or further , your dc is not able to focus.

why closeup filter doesnt magnify the object ?
e.g. every dc has its own mini. focus distance ... like A40 , it has 16cm min. focus distance for macro. However when you use a closeup filter , you can go closer than 16cm to take macro, thus it magnify the object.
ic... hmm. does my autofocus still work with closeup filters? my cam has a macro mode, min. focus dist. is 6cm i think. how would i calculate the new focus dist with a filter?

any gd one to recommend? how much will a decent one cost?

i still dont really understand y u cant take scenery with a closeup filter. i guess i'll find out once i get it :)
 

azone

New Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,454
0
0
40
azone.clubsnap.org
#13
Originally posted by shuy
ic... hmm. does my autofocus still work with closeup filters? my cam has a macro mode, min. focus dist. is 6cm i think. how would i calculate the new focus dist with a filter?

any gd one to recommend? how much will a decent one cost?

i still dont really understand y u cant take scenery with a closeup filter. i guess i'll find out once i get it :)
Autofocus should still work with the filters on. Macro mode on or off doesn't affect anything either. In general, you need to couple zoom with the filter to really see the effect of magnification. Using a filter at wide angle will yield no result. In theory, close-up filters of diff diopter ratings each has a fixed focusing distance (+4 -> 25cm, +8 - > 12cm, etc). But in practice, this distance may varies a bit for diff cameras. You'll need to try it out to see. And with this characteristic, you certainly cannot take scenery with a +4, unless the scenery is only 25cm away!

Cheap and reasonably good ones are the HOYAs. They come in +1, +2, +3, +4, +10 and cost between $12-$15, depending on your thread size. If you can afford much more, you can try getting the Canon 250D (+4 rating) or the 500D (+2 rating), both around $110-140.
 

shuy

New Member
Sep 7, 2002
240
0
0
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
#14
jus got my hoya +4 from AP, abit ex at $15 tho. i wonder if i shouldve gotten the +10 macro instead.... hmm. +10... ants oso can take hehe
 

Gr|ever

New Member
Nov 3, 2002
196
0
0
Visit site
#17
Originally posted by azone
Cheap and reasonably good ones are the HOYAs. They come in +1, +2, +3, +4, +10 and cost between $12-$15, depending on your thread size. If you can afford much more, you can try getting the Canon 250D (+4 rating) or the 500D (+2 rating), both around $110-140.
How much better are Canon 250D/500D filters compared to Hoya close up filters? The price difference is so huge!:eek:
 

Dec 31, 2002
939
0
0
AMK
Visit site
#18
Originally posted by shuy
dun tink hoya has +6, n i heard stacking causes vignetting. but i'll try double 4+ if i really do need it tho
There's no +6. Wat I meant was 2 x +3.
2 stacks still ok, no vignette. But the 3rd stack will have, like mine, which is 2 x +3 & 1 x +4 (total +10)
 

reno77

New Member
Jan 30, 2002
921
0
0
Bedok Reservoir
www.ramaraj.com
#19
Same reason why you cant see scenery with a magnifying glass in front of your eye.

Originally posted by shuy
i still dont really understand y u cant take scenery with a closeup filter. i guess i'll find out once i get it :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom