Just Got Me A Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreadworx

Jul 1, 2009
Hi all, just got myself a canon eos 500d. pls adv me on 1stly on hw to store or keep my camera in properly manner. should i get a dry box?

Hi all, just got myself a canon eos 500d. pls adv me on 1stly on hw to store or keep my camera in properly manner. should i get a dry box?

Hi,

welcome to CS. In our local humidity, it's a good idea to store your gear in a dry cabinet as you'd have better peace of mind. Read around and you'll see. :)

Thanx for da adv. will get da drybox asap. N i bought wif kit lens 18-55mm. Would like to get a 2nd lens. if i like taking scenery, landscape and people, which lens is suitable ? I'm doing my homework wif da ef-s 17-85mm n ef 17-300. Am i looking at da rite lenses?

Thanx for da adv. will get da drybox asap. N i bought wif kit lens 18-55mm. Would like to get a 2nd lens. if i like taking scenery, landscape and people, which lens is suitable ? I'm doing my homework wif da ef-s 17-85mm n ef 17-300. Am i looking at da rite lenses?

Hey !!
Dry Cabinet NOT Dry box :)

I'd recommend using your kit lens for the next thousand shutter clicks. At the moment you sound like just being on shopping tour (here also called "BBB virus") which will make you spending (or wasting) money only...
Your kit lens can do all what you have listed. Understand the basics of photography first. After some time with your kit lens you'll see what you need and your search will be more specific. Also read the reviews please. Super zoom lenses have some disadvantages in image quality (distortions) and also limitations regarding maximum aperture. With more knowledge you'll see what aperture does.

Hey thanx Octarine, guess ya rite. its da BBB syndrome. will work on my photography fundamentals 1st..

I've just got myself a 500D too, dry box won't do? Even with Silica Gel inside?

I'm using a dry box now. No place at home for a dry cabi.

I've just got myself a 500D too, dry box won't do? Even with Silica Gel inside?

I do not know how small is your place but you can alwasy get a small cabinet.mine is n Akarui Digi that measures 40cm(Height) 26cm (depth), 30 cm (width).

A cabinte will save you all the trouble of monitoring the life of the silica gel, most of us dont even know the effectiveness of the gel anyway.

I've just got myself a 500D too, dry box won't do? Even with Silica Gel inside

Without Silica gel it's pretty useless ;)
The key is to control the humidity, not just having something in the box. It needs a hygrometer and some maintenance (either reheating gel or replacing).

Without Silica gel it's pretty useless ;)
The key is to control the humidity, not just having something in the box. It needs a hygrometer and some maintenance (either reheating gel or replacing).

having said that, what is the humidity that needs to be at, mine is set at 40-50RH%

Hi,

Welcome to CS !!!

U could get a dry cabinet instead of a dry box. Since u are looking at getting other lens, the storage may increase afterawhile.

:D

Thanks, will consider that in near future.

pls adv me on 1stly on hw to store or keep my camera in properly manner. should i get a dry box?
Save yourself the hassle.Buy a dry cabinet!Cost is only about $10x with free delivery for the basic 30L size.

To TS, as others have no doubt already mentioned:

1. Shoot with the 18-55IS first. You bought the 500D and you feel that you have a desire to shoot landscapes and people. But is that really what you want? Try out with the 18-55 first, then decide.

2. Don't "buy to try". Analyze what is wrong with your 18-55 pics first. Is it due to technique or settings? Is it something that post-processing can cure? Look at different lenses only if its down to lens limitation.

3. Try "renting" a particular lens if you think that's what will help you go up a level. If you like what you see, you would have only spent a little bit more to buy an item with peace of mind rather than risk spending a lot and finding out its not what you wanted.

4. Dry Cabinet. Get one. Try not to get a drybox because you cannot really regulate the humidity inside. If the gel stops and humidity rises, that's not good. If it's too strong and humidity level is too low, also not good. You should be aiming for a constant 45-55% humidity.

having said that, what is the humidity that needs to be at, mine is set at 40-50RH%

Your camera manual will tell you, also the manual of your dry cabinet gives some recommendation. In general, 40-50% is ok for camera equipment.

Pls get a dry cabinet for storage.. it's good for your 500d storage and future lenses and equipment. Be sure to know what you're going to get in the future and get the right size for the cabinet to avoid wastage or shortage of space in the dry cabinet =)

Status
Not open for further replies.