Just flower

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
5416884411_9dd03d63dd_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

My 3rd attempt to take a photo of a flower. Did I get the basis right here?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I took a few photo of the orchid in my garden. Some individual, others with background. I choose this because I hope to bring out the vibrant color of orchid and the DOF effect.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Mid morning using hand held, setting manual without flash. Should have used a tripod and remote. Will try again the next time.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image?

Any advice or comments most welcomed.

Hi,

personally, I thought that the picture is abit dull (too dark for me), not sure if a brighter picture will make it look better as in make the flower "freshier"... otoh, I find that there is too much water/dew on the flower that somehow distracts me, partly may be caused by the low contrast that makes the water kinda blend with the flower.

Just a $0.02 from a newbie...

The dull background doesn't help with the photo and there is a huge empty space beneth the flower. Another angle or better framing will help with the shop.

Just my thoughts,

"Play cheat" a little - put a piece of white (or black) cardboard behind the flower.
That will help get rid of all background distractions + help the flower stand out.

Maybe you could have used a flash from slightly behind the flower, outside of the frame, that would bring out more of the colour of the flower? instead of making it blend into the wall, or photoshop it

the flowers lack a certain vibrancy, i would crop out the empty space on the right and concentrate on the 3 in focus.
thanks for sharing.

Hey guys, thank you for the tips. Will work on them and try again.