just dropped my tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonray

Mar 25, 2005
hey guys... own a manfrotto 190 pro and a 486RC2 ballhead... just dropped it today... have some dings and scratches on the head and the body... the paint came off... so exposed some of the metal within... do you think that the exposed parts will rust? if so... should i go paint over it with some black spray paint? or should i just leave it? anyone experienced this situation?

Had my 190 knocked against some hard objects and exposed the shiny insides on certain areas, so far so good, survived rain & sun and seawater.

Still living with it.

Most parts of manfrotto tripod is made of aluminum alloy, will not have any rust problem, only the bolts and nuts are made of metal.

Manfrotto tripod rust? There is no way that will happen..not even the nuts and bolts. I had my gone through alot of "wars" with me and even got it dipped in salt water a couple of time ( of course I wash it up after that) and it still keep on ticking and not a bit of rust on it. More then 10 yrs in all.

okies thanks... looks like need to make my tripod look more rugged... haha...

if u 1 2 keep it in prestine condition get foam pads for the legs. i hav foam grips on mine...;p

sammy888 said:
Manfrotto tripod rust? There is no way that will happen..not even the nuts and bolts. I had my gone through alot of "wars" with me and even got it dipped in salt water a couple of time ( of course I wash it up after that) and it still keep on ticking and not a bit of rust on it. More then 10 yrs in all.
your manfrotto must be as old as mine :bsmilie:

my tripod also still working well, but it is getting heavier :cry:

ortega said:
IMHO tripods must look well used :thumbsup:
Like this? the number 3 tripod?

13771DSC_6027.jpg

Wah! got a Gitzo already, still get the manfrotto!! Anyway, my 190B has also been battered and still working fine :)

ortega said:
IMHO tripods must look well used :thumbsup:

i prefer mine to look "Nv Used". hee...:sweat:

catchlights said:
Like this? the number 3 tripod?

13771DSC_6027.jpg

wow, ur no. 1 looks so cute!!:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

where did u get it?:think:

Its very difficult to have a tripod that "looks new". Tripods are meant to be abused, eg banged around, dropped frequently, stuck in the sand, stood on the water, etc.
(Psss, I know how u feel, when I first dropped my tripod years ago, my heart was so pain I stared straight at the tripod for almost 20 minutes)

Astin said:
Its very difficult to have a tripod that "looks new". Tripods are meant to be abused, eg banged around, dropped frequently, stuck in the sand, stood on the water, etc.
(Psss, I know how u feel, when I first dropped my tripod years ago, my heart was so pain I stared straight at the tripod for almost 20 minutes)

And i tot women are the "feeling-ful' ones.... :devil:

its jus like buying a UV filter on my lense from day 1. i try my best 2 maintain my tripod. as 4 battle scars, i'll rather not risk it- jus in case it "dies" during battle.:bsmilie: i oso dun hav de $$ to buy a battlion of tripods.:blah:

Catchlights]Like this? the number 3 tripod?

Alright man!....I never thought I would see another person who bought that TINY Manfrotton Tripod. That is my standard one in my cycling bag..abit weird as I would stuck my big 3 way head on it to hold my other former SLRs or my present D70 heheh... They still sell them? I bought mine about 10yrs ago.

ortega said:
your manfrotto must be as old as mine :bsmilie:

my tripod also still working well, but it is getting heavier :cry:

Mine is the "naked" leg version. It is raw aluminium colour which is good. I find the black one to be cool BUT...battle scars are more easily seen. If it is as old it must be those that uses the nut and bolt not those quick release one which I dont quite like. I am very old school with tripod like this heheh...Nut tightening is alot more reliable and long lasting.

Actually I am surprise it still look damn good. It had topple over a few times, got knocked abit but I do clean it up at least once a year by taking it apart but it almost look like I bought it just a year back or so. Heavy yes..especially since I am using a 3 Way adjustable head. (Manfrotto 029 ..love this headset over the ball) It is really heavy but well I treat it as going on a army road march! heheh...good way to keep fit. This year I was abit crazy, I actually went to all the National Day firework displays (five days worth) at the Sheares Bridge. I walked from City Hall MRT all the way to the bridge each time to shoot and then back down to the town area to fire off another hundred more shots before heading to City Hall MRT again to go home.

sORe-EyEz said:
its jus like buying a UV filter on my lense from day 1. i try my best 2 maintain my tripod. as 4 battle scars, i'll rather not risk it- jus in case it "dies" during battle.:bsmilie: i oso dun hav de $$ to buy a battlion of tripods.:blah:

You dont need a whole battalion of tripod lah heheh...just one relatively good one. You dont even need to spend a lot. Anything about the price of a 190 Manfrotto would be more then enough to last you as long as you have the interest in photography hehe...The aluminium it uses is not like your typical soft type too...it is made of aluminium and a mixture of other metals to give it its strength to withstand alot of heavy punishment. Your bone will break before it even gets dented. heheh

Status
Not open for further replies.