just buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbr3345

Dec 24, 2003
West
Greetings greetings,

a new owner of EOS 300D & fresh to DSLR.

just purchase the promotion where canon gives a free 75-300mm tele lens. though have yet to collect the lens but cant wait to snap snap snap... :)

what lens is good for beginners?

pls advise

if u r v rich or feel like burning cash then u can buy all the canon L lens
if u prefer to shoot with primes then thats another out also
or u can combine zooms nad primes
or u can start off with a budget minded EF24-85/f3.5-4.5 USM
really..it will ultimately boil down to what u will be shooting most:
events/streets/abstract/weddings/portraits/architechture/whatever..

:)

cbr3345 said:
Greetings greetings,

a new owner of EOS 300D & fresh to DSLR.

just purchase the promotion where canon gives a free 75-300mm tele lens. though have yet to collect the lens but cant wait to snap snap snap... :)

what lens is good for beginners?

pls advise

that free 75-300mm lor...

if u bought the kit, the kit lens shld be good enuf to start with, together with ur free lens. in the future, depending on wat u want to shoot, primes like 50mm F1.8 MKII or 85mms and normal zooms like 28-135mm are good buys. if u tend towards landscapes, a wide angle like 17-35mm might be a good idea. but, they are not cheap tho... :cry:

welcome to the DSLR world! :bsmilie:

thk ü all for your valuable advises!

hope ü all dun find me newbie with lazy questions. :p

i'm just a simple n ordinary guy w thin wallet lor. coming this far with a dslr is not an easy task. considering the amount of investment needed to develop this passion, i even opt out the efs lens kit.(heard its quite redundant)

thus my first task is to purchase a std avg lens for daily usage.

Clive,
thks for breaking the ice! have hearsay about this L-series lens yet not too comprehensive other than expensive..guess i'm not suitable for it.
what is prime lens? how many different types of lens are there huh
currently i'm looking for another lens to complete my set. maybe from minimum-to-75 since i'm gonna get the free 75-300. heehee... :D

Mervlam,
i have not seen/try the lens yet. is it suitable for daily shootings? ie. anything to everything...

nightwolf75,
thks for the info. the lens kit was opt out... is the 28-125 lens good for 300d normal usage? do u own a 300d as well

y0ngcheng,
heeheee....cant afford L-lens. anything cheaper?

So...any recommended shops for all the good stuffs cheap and reliable? ^_^

A prime lens is a lens with a fixed focal length. Presumably sharper than zooms. Another type of commonly used lenses are macro lenses that allow you to shoot your small subjects life-sized (more or less) on film/sensor, meaning a 1 cm coin will turn out to be 1 cm image cast on your film/sensor.

Anyway, my recommendation is to get an average-range zoom as your first walkaround lens. Then slowly you can discover your niche if you have no clue what's your interest in the first place.

As you are using a DSLR with a crop factor, your best bet is to start off with the 18-50mm lens from Sigma, with a price tag of about $180 or so. This will give you good coverage from the wide till mid-telephoto range. Not the best lens around optically and build but will do.

Otherwise, if you wallet is really tight, bo bian; go look for the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 prime for around $140. But it's a hot item so it's pretty hard to get your hands on.

The 28-135mm (not 125mm) zoom will be a bit too long on your 300D, although you can give it a try. However, it's pretty ex considering it can fetch ard $600 2nd hand.

The 70-300mm you've got as a "free" item is too long for daily shooting. The range is often used for things that are far away, e.g. sports and wildlife. Try http://www.usa.canon.com/eflenses/lens101/focallength/index.html to see how far 70mm and 300mm can reach.

nightwolf75,
thks for the info. the lens kit was opt out... is the 28-125 lens good for 300d normal usage? do u own a 300d as well

yup! proud owner of a 300D for the last 3mths. :vhappy: this is despite numerous attempts by a few nikonians in CS who are desperately trying to convert me!! :devil: :sweat: :bsmilie:

the kit lens is good to have initially lah. i chose to buy my 300D with one. however, if you dun have, the 28-135mm is a good walk-about lens. it just abt give u enuf wide angle plus zoom for you to do general purpose shooting. remember tho - the 300D has a x1.6 crop factor. ie. ur 28-135mm lens, more or less, functions like a 45-220mm (give or take). so, if u have this lens, u can leave some of ur zooms (e.g. the free 50-300mm lens) behind. but, mind u, this lens is not cheap becos it has become one of the 'must-have' lens ard. a new canon EF lens, i think, is going for ard $600+. suggest u check out places like prime and TCW (the camera workshop). prime is at peninsula centre, TCW at peninsula hotel (ground floor, behind spinelli). either dat, or check out the buy/sell in CS. alternative brands like sigma, tamron etc may be cheaper buys, IMO.

DSLR very expensive hobby.... :cry: suggest u think abt wat u want to shoot most of the time, then buy ur lens accordingly. currently, becos i more into portraiture (and the occasional landscape), my lens collection are canon EF 50mm MKII, tamron 28-200mm, canon EF 70-300mm USM and the kit lens.

clive said:
if u r v rich or feel like burning cash then u can buy all the canon L lens
if u prefer to shoot with primes then thats another out also
or u can combine zooms nad primes
or u can start off with a budget minded EF24-85/f3.5-4.5 USM
really..it will ultimately boil down to what u will be shooting most:
events/streets/abstract/weddings/portraits/architechture/whatever..

:)

Yes buy L lens :thumbsup: . For eg for a Lousy $2400 you can buy the 24-70 L , the lens help to take great pic for Lousy photog like me :D

As per Wolf 's suggest, he has given you a detailed explanation and analysis worthy of a "A" graded GP paper. :)

definitely a 50mm 1.8!
dont pay more than $150 for a new one...
:thumbsup:

nightwolf75 said:
yup! proud owner of a 300D for the last 3mths. :vhappy: this is despite numerous attempts by a few nikonians in CS who are desperately trying to convert me!! :devil: :sweat: :bsmilie:

the kit lens is good to have initially lah. i chose to buy my 300D with one. however, if you dun have, the 28-135mm is a good walk-about lens. it just abt give u enuf wide angle plus zoom for you to do general purpose shooting. remember tho - the 300D has a x1.6 crop factor. ie. ur 28-135mm lens, more or less, functions like a 45-220mm (give or take). so, if u have this lens, u can leave some of ur zooms (e.g. the free 50-300mm lens) behind. but, mind u, this lens is not cheap becos it has become one of the 'must-have' lens ard. a new canon EF lens, i think, is going for ard $600+. suggest u check out places like prime and TCW (the camera workshop). prime is at peninsula centre, TCW at peninsula hotel (ground floor, behind spinelli). either dat, or check out the buy/sell in CS. alternative brands like sigma, tamron etc may be cheaper buys, IMO.

DSLR very expensive hobby.... suggest u think abt wat u want to shoot most of the time, then buy ur lens accordingly. currently, becos i more into portraiture (and the occasional landscape), my lens collection are canon EF 50mm MKII, tamron 28-200mm, canon EF 70-300mm USM and the kit lens.
The EF 28-135 USM IS should cost $800 at the lowest possible. If you can find a $600 one, please inform me. :D

NiVleK said:
The EF 28-135 USM IS should cost $800 at the lowest possible. If you can find a $600 one, please inform me. :D

non-USM, the older version. :bsmilie: dun think u can find this one anymore. saw it once at TCW. chances are sold already. anyway, $600+ can also get a new one from sigma, or tamron. even cheaper would be vivitar.... if u trust their quality! :bsmilie:

Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MKII / Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM
Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 USM
Canon EF 135mm f2 L USM
Canon EF 17-40mm F4L USM
Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
Tamron 24-135mm SP
Tamron 28-75mm DI
Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Macro 1:1
Tamron 180mm f3.5 Macro DI
Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro 1:1
Sigma 180mm f3.5 Macro EX HSM
:devil:

nightwolf75 said:
non-USM, the older version. :bsmilie: dun think u can find this one anymore. saw it once at TCW. chances are sold already. anyway, $600+ can also get a new one from sigma, or tamron. even cheaper would be vivitar.... if u trust their quality! :bsmilie:
Ya...but you post saying canon EF one mah. :p

majere2sg said:
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 MKII / Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM
Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro 1:1 USM
Canon EF 135mm f2 L USM
Canon EF 17-40mm F4L USM
Canon EF 28-135mm IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM
Tamron 24-135mm SP
Tamron 28-75mm DI
Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Macro 1:1
Tamron 180mm f3.5 Macro DI
Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro 1:1
Sigma 180mm f3.5 Macro EX HSM
:devil:

haha....cbr3345 is gonna bust the bank just to get these lens!!! :sweat:

nivlek - sorry lah. morning no coffee. typing also go haywire... :p

i'm so proud of this forum!

so fast and furious friendly responds..^_^

1) what are USM, MKII, SP, DI, etc...any abbrev dict ard?
2) how you guys do the cute icons huh...monsters smiiles...

Ah Pao,

thks for explaination. you mentioned that prime lens are presumably sharper than that of zoom lens...why and how?
i think i'm a nature lover and love to take shots in their natural form(w/o disturbance) be it people,animals,insects. perhaps just not dead stuffs...eek:

nightwolf75,

great to know a family member of 300d.
what kind of carrier bag you are using and dry box/cabinet
is there a 300d group here that goes ard sg for snaps?

rest of the CS bros,

really appreciate all your replies.
too many that i cant reply all...pardon me
thanks all thank ü

Hi,

Welcome to the 300D family

I must say it is a good camera.

Well, for me
I have EFS 18-50mm, 28-105mm USM, 50 mm F1.8 and 70-300mm USM.
To me, I think 50 mm prime is a must for me :p
I love portrait ! And this 50 mm served me very well
The quailty of the pic is great !

I only use the kit len when I want to achieve wide area like landscape.

As for 28-105mm USM, this is my walk-about len.
I used it for most of my shooting.
Quite good.

U may take a look at the sigma new 18-125mm len.
I personally think it is a good walk-about len that covers a great range.

Just my 2 cents ;)

cbr3345 said:
thks for explaination. you mentioned that prime lens are presumably sharper than that of zoom lens...why and how?
i think i'm a nature lover and love to take shots in their natural form(w/o disturbance) be it people,animals,insects. perhaps just not dead stuffs...:eek:

Haha...you no need to reply to individual to each and every one of us...just take the points, ponder on them, and then post more questions if you have more doubts. We all will try to help as much as possible. It will be your turn next time! :cool:

Technically speaking, prime lens have less optical elements to deal with compared to zooms. With every additional group of elements there exists a higher possibility of light loss, flare, loss of contrast, loss of sharpness, etc. due to optical physics (e.g. internal & external reflection and refraction). Also, zooms are often larger and heavier physically. However, today's zooms so well designed and constructed such that a good quality zoom will have little to lose compared to primes of comparable focal lengths (albeit coming with a heafty price tag!). However, for the nit-pickers, prime still wins marginally over sharpness and other optical attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.