Just bought: Tamron 24-135 SP with cir polariser and UV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TME

Jan 19, 2002
Clementi
Hi,

Just want to check with u guys if the price I paid is reasonable or not. I bought the following from M. S. Colour Service in AMK at the following prices:

1) Tamron 24-135mm SP Macro - $630

2) Hoya Super HMC 72 mm UV filter - $50

3) Hoya 72 mm Circular Polariser - $63

Total $740.

This lens quite hard to find for Minolta mount manz!! I called TCW, Alan, Cathay, John 3:16, M.S., Fotoguide, Alley, all got no stock except Cathay and MS. But Cathay was $30 more. TCW quoted me $600 but got no stock. So I don't know whether got "tock" or not...............

Originally posted by TME
Hi,

Just want to check with u guys if the price I paid is reasonable or not. I bought the following from M. S. Colour Service in AMK at the following prices:

Total $740.

This lens quite hard to find for Minolta mount manz!! I called TCW, Alan, Cathay, John 3:16, M.S., Fotoguide, Alley, all got no stock except Cathay and MS. But Cathay was $30 more. TCW quoted me $600 but got no stock. So I don't know whether got "tock" or not...............

Congrad..in getting this Tamron 24-135mm SP Macro len.
I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it is around this price , but mine is a Nikon mount (bought it from Alan).
Enjoy taking pictures with this len of yours. ;)

Originally posted by rueyloon
number 2) sound too expensive

Is it?!! How much do u think a Super HMC filter should cost? I always thought that the Super HMC filters were much more expensive?! But can see that the quality of the glass and coatings are much better. The reflections are coloured and not so obvious compared to an ordinary UV filter.

Originally posted by scanner

Congrad..in getting this Tamron 24-135mm SP Macro len.
I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I think it is around this price , but mine is a Nikon mount (bought it from Alan).
Enjoy taking pictures with this len of yours. ;)

Feels good. Well-made but the zoom ring is extremely stiff. Also not use to the focus ring so close to the zoom ring. On autofocus, always brush against my fingers. I am afraid it will get trapped and get spoiled!

Originally posted by TME

Feels good. Well-made but the zoom ring is extremely stiff. Also not use to the focus ring so close to the zoom ring. On autofocus, always brush against my fingers. I am afraid it will get trapped and get spoiled!

Yes, the built of the len is good and the zoom ring is somehow stiff, but dun worry after much usage it should be better.
I've been using it for more than 5 months, never forget to bring it along when out shooting. ;)

It's now my multi-purpose lens. It has a sufficiently wide end and a decent telephoto lens. That is why it was made in the first place , to replace the the 24-105 which was not quite long enough. Wait for my photos from Europe.

actually after i went to Tamron website to see their range of lens, got some questions to ask...

at the website, ur SP 24-135mm is listed $726 lor. And the 28-200mm is at $544. Why is it the 1st lens cost more than the 2nd lens? And why you will chose the 1st lens instead of the 2nd lens?

just a question: my impression is that the Super HMC does not have filter threads becauses its the 'thin type'? So when you want to use the polariser you have to unscrew the UV filter and put the polariser on?

and sorry to disappoint you, the glass of HMC and SHMC is supposed to be the same, and i'll bet you can't tell the difference between HMC and SHMC :)

Originally posted by TME
Hi,

Total $740.

Originally posted by erwinx
just a question: my impression is that the Super HMC does not have filter threads becauses its the 'thin type'? So when you want to use the polariser you have to unscrew the UV filter and put the polariser on?

and sorry to disappoint you, the glass of HMC and SHMC is supposed to be the same, and i'll bet you can't tell the difference between HMC and SHMC :)

No, not true, the Hoya SHMC filter should come with filter threads, hmm....never in my lifetime seen it without threads. ;)

Can't remember where I put my specification sheet for the SHMC and HMC, but anyway if I can remember, the SHMC do allow more lights to enter the len compared to HMC.
I think it is due to the coatings on the filters.

Originally posted by erwinx

Hi, Just got back from Britain today after using the lens and the filters. First time using a cir polariser, not sure how the photos would turn out. Pain in the neck to keep screwing it on and off. Many times forgot to screw off when enter a builidng. Fire off hal a dozen shots then realaise why so dark, take a look at the lens then "siao!!" forgot to take off the polariser. So reshoot again............. But the zoom ring of the SP has become much smoother. In fact, it has loosened such that shaking the camera with the lens pointed down to the ground would get it sliding out. Hence the lens lock.

The SHMC is a better light disperser (if there is such a word) than the HMC. What happens is that when u look at the SHMC surfeace, the reflections are all coloured, i.e. the multi-coating disperses most of the specular reflections from other sources of light, like lamps, relfections of othershiny surfaces. The HMC is noticeably more reflective under the same lighting condition.

What u are referring to is the hybrid UV fliter and cir polariser filter for super wide angle lens i.e.e lens that 20mm. These lens havea tendency to vignette when more than one filter is attached to the front. Hence HOYA came out with the hybrid. It also helps to cut down the number of internal reflections and also gives u one more stop to work with apparently. Never seen it, nor tired oit. Only read about it. Super expensive. >$150 I think.

Originally posted by stl
actually after i went to Tamron website to see their range of lens, got some questions to ask...

at the website, ur SP 24-135mm is listed $726 lor. And the 28-200mm is at $544. Why is it the 1st lens cost more than the 2nd lens? And why you will chose the 1st lens instead of the 2nd lens?

That is because the SP lens stands for SPECIAL. It has better glass. The worth of a lens is not just in its focal lengths. It's mainly in the quality of the glass and consequently the aperture size. The larger the aperture for longer the focal length generally = more money. In the case of the SP (135mm) compared to the XR(200mm), the SP has much better glass and a wider end which generally costs more than a longer end. Hope I am making some sense. I feel jet lag catching up with me.........

Originally posted by scanner

No, not true, the Hoya SHMC filter should come with filter threads, hmm....never in my lifetime seen it without threads. ;)

Can't remember where I put my specification sheet for the SHMC and HMC, but anyway if I can remember, the SHMC do allow more lights to enter the len compared to HMC.
I think it is due to the coatings on the filters.

strangely enough the Hoya brochure says that their SHMC filters do not have a front thread and come with a push on lens cap. kinda surprised too when i got a 77mm SHMC UV 2 weeks back!

Originally posted by munfai

strangely enough the Hoya brochure says that their SHMC filters do not have a front thread and come with a push on lens cap. kinda surprised too when i got a 77mm SHMC UV 2 weeks back!

Wah! 77mm must be really expensive. How much u pay for it? I paid $50 for my 72mm SHMCUV filter. And it comes with threads. I could screw on the circular polariser over it. Must be some printing error in the brochure. I am sure the non-screw SHMC must have been for the UV/cir polariser hybrid filter. I mean, who wants a UV filter that cannot screw other filters on like tungsten or flurorescent filters, spercial effects, even a circular polariser?!

Originally posted by TME

Wah! 77mm must be really expensive. How much u pay for it? I paid $50 for my 72mm SHMCUV filter. And it comes with threads. I could screw on the circular polariser over it. Must be some printing error in the brochure. I am sure the non-screw SHMC must have been for the UV/cir polariser hybrid filter. I mean, who wants a UV filter that cannot screw other filters on like tungsten or flurorescent filters, spercial effects, even a circular polariser?!

i paid $65 for it.

really, you will not want to stack filters if you're using an ultra-wide, so it makes sense not to have a front thread on the ultra slim filters. after all, you're buying them to avoid vignetting, right?

Originally posted by munfai

i paid $65 for it.

really, you will not want to stack filters if you're using an ultra-wide, so it makes sense not to have a front thread on the ultra slim filters. after all, you're buying them to avoid vignetting, right?

Actually u are right. I was having a UV then a Circ over it. And I found that my photos *which I collected today) vignette slightly when I used the lens at its widest 24mm. I thought that 24mm didn't vignette? Looks like I have to forgo the UV filter. Does it make sense to have both the UV and circ together? Or is the UV redundant in the case of using a circ?

Well, it is kind of hard to describe since I drove there. It is opposite the AMK MRT station. It is a low one story building in a shape of an octagon or something like it. All the shops in that block have the same unit number - don't know why not even the MS Colour guys know why. Anyway, there is a provision shop in that block that sells lots of metal pots and pans, a hawker centre. MS Colour is just next to it. Blk 11 if I am not wrong. Opposite the Jubilee cinema. It's easy to find if u take a train and walk. I drove there and had a hard time finding it.

Originally posted by TME

Actually u are right. I was having a UV then a Circ over it. And I found that my photos *which I collected today) vignette slightly when I used the lens at its widest 24mm. I thought that 24mm didn't vignette? Looks like I have to forgo the UV filter. Does it make sense to have both the UV and circ together? Or is the UV redundant in the case of using a circ?

actually it depends a lot on your lens. i usually stack the pl-cir over the uv as well, cos i don't like the idea of exposing the front element for any reason whatsoever. haven't had any form of vignetting yet, but then again the widest i've got is 28mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.