Just bought pentax kx dual lens kit, now facing dust problem!

chenwei2610

Jun 8, 2010
I bought pentax kx dual lenses kit two weeks ago. definitely I enjoy the fun of changing lenses, but did not expect so soon I am facing dusts problem. My camera now is having dusts everywhere, lenses, mirror, sensor, and even on top of my focusing screen.
I tried methods read from internet to minimize the dusts, but it seems make things worse. I tied to blow off dust on the mirror, end up the dust went on top of my focusing screen. Also I tried to blow off dusts from sensor, the dust end up to the same place. Now I a few black spots in my vewfinder.
I am very new to DSLR, just wondering how do you live and deal with dusts?
Should I send my camera in for cleaning? is it covered by the warranty If not, how is it charged?

ANY constant mounting and dismounting of lens is going to lead to dust collection....... no matter what brand of camera

Not covered by warranty

Advise......... the most important component that needs to be clean is the sensor.........

p/s and DONT blow with your mouth ! ..... google around and read up on how to clean the innards of your camera

Last edited:
I bought pentax kx dual lenses kit two weeks ago. definitely I enjoy the fun of changing lenses, but did not expect so soon I am facing dusts problem. My camera now is having dusts everywhere, lenses, mirror, sensor, and even on top of my focusing screen.
I tried methods read from internet to minimize the dusts, but it seems make things worse. I tied to blow off dust on the mirror, end up the dust went on top of my focusing screen. Also I tried to blow off dusts from sensor, the dust end up to the same place. Now I a few black spots in my vewfinder.
Should I send my camera in for cleaning? is it covered by the warranty If not, how is it charged?

You blew the mirror:eek::bigeyes::sweat:

If it does not affect pic quality,just make do with it.If it does,time for you to visit Kevin:)

Last edited:
What did you do to your camera? You changed lenses in the middle of a sand storm?

You can bring it to Emjay for servicing. I am not sure if your warranty covers cleaning.

actually I never change lenses outdoor, and I alway facing the body down. but still dusts went in. I just want to get rid of them using rubber blower, in the end the dusts goes to places "unreacheble". How do you clean your camera?

normally when i have dust attack,

1)try using the menu build in dust reduction system to "shake off the dust on the sensor first"

if cannot

2) bring down the mirror and blow.
camera face down and blow it with a blower (i use giotto rocket blower)

sometimes the dust do fly to to mirror and focusing screen... but i had learn to ignore them.

never never try to clean the focus screen with any liquid like alcohol / cotton swap etc etc ...it will damage it.

What did you do to your camera? You changed lenses in the middle of a sand storm?

i really do wonder where u brought ur dslr to. :think:

just wondering how often do you cleaning your sensor? I did some research, most of the sensor cleaning methods are not cheap. just a sensor brush can cost 100 bucks, sensor swap and solution from CP costs 90 bucks. Besides using a rubber blower, what do you do with dirty sensors?

actually I never change lenses outdoor, and I alway facing the body down. but still dusts went in. I just want to get rid of them using rubber blower, in the end the dusts goes to places "unreacheble". How do you clean your camera?

I wondering if you are doing the dust alert/detection correctly or not.

when u go the dust detection point to a bright even surface like a wall....dont point it at uneven wall or uneven colour surface. somtimes because the floor or wall have dark colour "cracks" it will look like the sensor have dust...

just wondering how often do you cleaning your sensor? I did some research, most of the sensor cleaning methods are not cheap. just a sensor brush can cost 100 bucks, sensor swap and solution from CP costs 90 bucks. Besides using a rubber blower, what do you do with dirty sensors?

a good blower is enough...but if you have budget of course u can always use those better product.

I had fair share of dust attacks and blowing it with a blower works well for me.....
I destroy my focus screen once because i was newbie and "try to clean it with alcohol and cotton" ....and I have to go emjay to change my screen.

So remember no no no to touch your focusing screen :nono:

i hope you used a blower..............

some spots , especially in singapore, are WELDED DUST

this is dust with moisture, it will not be removed with the blower, and you will need to do wet cleaning of sorts.

you can either DIY.. in which case you can google on wet cleaning dslr and you should get some videos showing you how..

or you can bring it to emjay

just fyi, you wion't get 100% clean sensor all the time, one or two spots, just leave it if they are not too large.

i got a question.
since day 1. there is light reflection from my eye cup from certain angles. is it normal ?

the rocket blower is a very nice one..

i got a question.
since day 1. there is light reflection from my eye cup from certain angles. is it normal ?

I also experience this too.Maybe its the sun's reflection?:dunno: