Just bought my 1st DSLcamera

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck71

Jan 25, 2005
AMK
paid almost 2k for the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm lens, plus a 3rd party spare battery, 512mb compact flash card, a cleaning kit and a bag. :sweat:

has been going around shooting like nobody's business (currently attending a basic course from SAFRA) anyway, planning to go Chinatown next monday to do some night shooting. Here's my question:

do I need to get a flash? if so, can someone recommend one? (make sure not too expensive hor) by the way, is my current lens good enough, do I need to get som more? :think:

This should belong into Nikon forum, then I can slowly poison you :devil:

Basing your questions/queries on your shoot at Chinatown, I'd advise not to shoot with flash, pushing up ISO to get the ambient lighting at Chinatown would have a slight more punch to the images.

If you want to get a flash, there's only the SB-600/SB-800 to consider, I won't consider others if I'm you :).

For starters & beginners, the AF-S 18-70DX is a pretty good len to start off your learning curve. Buy as you go along when you find you need it, else just give me your money. :devil:

Don't let the NAS (BUY BUY BUY) get to you

NOT!!!

espn said:
This should belong into Nikon forum, then I can slowly poison you :devil:

Basing your questions/queries on your shoot at Chinatown, I'd advise not to shoot with flash, pushing up ISO to get the ambient lighting at Chinatown would have a slight more punch to the images.

If you want to get a flash, there's only the SB-600/SB-800 to consider, I won't consider others if I'm you :).

For starters & beginners, the AF-S 18-70DX is a pretty good len to start off your learning curve. Buy as you go along when you find you need it, else just give me your money. :devil:

Don't let the NAS (BUY BUY BUY) get to you

NOT!!!

ok, thanks for the advise.

think I'll hang around at the newbie corner for the time being, so that I can learn slowly without fearing of you poisoning me. :bsmilie:

I'm a very harmless guy :angel: ask BeachBoy :)

Anyway if you have questions and problems, do drop by NUG (do a search on "NUG" in nikon forum). :)

ok, will do

btw, what is NUG?

Paul_Yeo said:
so what lenses are u going to buy buy buy next? :sticktong

base on espn's advise, I think I am going to just play around with my current lens 1st, save $ for later when/if I get better at photography....unless I strike toto, then I will buy buy buy. ;)

ck71 said:
paid almost 2k for the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm lens, plus a 3rd party spare battery, 512mb compact flash card, a cleaning kit and a bag. :sweat:

has been going around shooting like nobody's business (currently attending a basic course from SAFRA) anyway, planning to go Chinatown next monday to do some night shooting. Here's my question:

do I need to get a flash? if so, can someone recommend one? (make sure not too expensive hor) by the way, is my current lens good enough, do I need to get som more? :think:
Welcome to Clubsnap :)

Ask yourself, how do you find your shots ? Do you encounter any difficulties while shooting ? What kind of shots do you want to shoot in Chinatown ?

ck71 said:
base on espn's advise, I think I am going to just play around with my current lens 1st, save $ for later when/if I get better at photography....unless I strike toto, then I will buy buy buy. ;)

what u need is a zoom lens too...get something like 70-300mm...( sigma or nikon) will be just nice for u... flash too, SB 800?

Have u got a bag , and dry box? get those, u will need them....

now its time for u to do some shooting... go join some outing , u will learn faster that way...dont be shy....
:thumbsup:

So you just got into photography and you have a new DSLR... you're learning alot abt photography and the equipment as you go along, and you'll be tempted to buy more and better lenses or equipment... so here's my advice, if you have money..don't go spending it all... make sure you have fully used what you have right now before you think about getting another piece of equipment... i've made that mistake and lost quite alot of money...so yeah, think about it.. =)

Welcome to the dark side man :thumbsup:

Do you have a UV filter? Another item you should consider if you want to do night scene is Tripod :thumbsup:

After the tripod, he might wanna consider getting a WA prime lens.

Of cos, shooting the D70 is ok (I tried it), but den with no vertical grip, it does feel a little funny.

U might wanna get another spare battery to go as well.

gogogogo... What are u waiting for? BUY BUY BUY

wah! so many things to buy ah? 70-300mm, dry box, flash, UV filter, tripod, WA prime lens........,(most of these thing I don't even know how to use or for what purpose) want to scare me off is it? I just started only, need so many items meh? :sweat:

I think I stick to what I have first lah, like I said, wait till I strike toto, then BUY! BUY! BUY! ;p

btw, if you guys got any photo outing, I would be glad to join, so don't forget me hor. ;)

Whatever you do, do get a dry cabinet to store your equipment in. You've paid a lot of money for your equipment and it's important to store them properly to prevent things like fungus in your lens(es).

ck71 said:
most of these thing I don't even know how to use or for what purpose
dats why u buy & learn its uses & purpose..

if u going for nite shoot in chinatown.. u definately need a tripod.
& if its a day shoot.. u might need filters (polariser & UV)

then as things add on.. u will need a bigger bag...
the shopping list just goes on & on & on... scary.

photography is evil. dun start! :devil:

the tagline for D70 should change to "i Bleed Apart" rather then A Breed Apart. :bsmilie:

ck71 said:
ok, thanks for the advise.

think I'll hang around at the newbie corner for the time being, so that I can learn slowly without fearing of you poisoning me. :bsmilie:

beware of espn. he's actually the resident clubsnap BUY! BUY! BUY! evangelist :D

:sweatsm: :sweatsm:

Just buy a dry-box and a UV filter to protect your lens will do!
Dun buy tripod, lenses and etc..
Try to make full use of your camera and explore the possible with your existing lenses to find your shooting style.
I seen too much of those newbies buying alot of stuff but in the end does not use it at all (coz they dun know what they want in the first place!).
Learn the basis of photography is more imp!

I agree that buying a lot of accessories can distract from learning/taking good photographs.

IMHO, flashlights are overrated. They are good if you HAVE to get a picture in low light (think reporters), but it won't necessarily be a good picture. It is quite difficult to get decent lighting from a camera mounted flash. For fill-ins (like when taking pictures of people against the light) the small in-camera flash is usually sufficient.

I consider a tripod more important, but it is only useful if you carry it with you when you need it. One can often improvise to substitute for it.

My advice would be to buy only accessories once YOU discover a need for them (and not because marketing people try to talk you into it).

Status
Not open for further replies.