Just beginning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefulphoto

Hey, I'm new to the boards. I have an avid interest in photography - not sure what type though, but I'd like to get a digital camera. I currently have a regular SLR but developing film is getting expensive. What would be a good starter for me that's digital? I'd prefer it to be more than 6MP as I work in a newspaper and would like to have some photos possibly published (hey, it's happened before but I used their camera).

Any suggestions on cameras?

hopefulphoto said:
Hey, I'm new to the boards. I have an avid interest in photography - not sure what type though, but I'd like to get a digital camera. I currently have a regular SLR but developing film is getting expensive. What would be a good starter for me that's digital? I'd prefer it to be more than 6MP as I work in a newspaper and would like to have some photos possibly published (hey, it's happened before but I used their camera).

Any suggestions on cameras?

Why mot look at the Nikon D70/D70s, Canon 350/5D/20D, etc....

Cheers......

Agree with the suggestion on looking into the lens system your newspaper has, and choose the brand you buy from that - for economic reasons. Can't go very wrong with both Nikon and Canon. From my experience (don't shoot me if it doesn't apply across board), Nikon has a superior flash system while Canon's AF speed is generally faster. Both systems offer a very wide variety of lens and other equipment, and features that photographers generally would need.

I forgot to take a good look at the camera I was using at the newspaper :embrass: but the lens itself was very heavy (my arm hurt the next day!). Anyway, it was a 80-200mm. Pure glass. But the camera body itself I'm not totally positive on. I believe it was a Nikon. The lens sort of look similar to these: http://nikonimaging.com/global/prod...oto/af-s_zoom80-200mmf_28d_if/img/pic_001.jpg

so maybe you can consider a Nikon body, so that you might be able to borrow lenses from your company....
oo...if carrying a 80-200mmf2.8 makes your arm hurt...you shld try carrying a 300mmf2.8;p

then Def a nikon body.

a new or used D70/s will be a good start.
or if you are more fortunate, then the "akan datang" D200

consider...

1) wat system would u like to go (canon or nikon, etc.. ).. lens u currently owned (since you r already slr user), photography frds and the system they'r using (share knowledge or equipments among frds with same systems).. , your previous experience with slr.. (perharp u r already use to KM or pentax..?)

then your choice would be down to only a few model..

2) spec & capablity of the cam you need for.. (since most of the dslr nowsday are above 6mps), budget (of course to into, neverthless the more expen$ive the better, if you hav sky high budget then go pamper yourself, if not jus look within the range you r comfortable with.. )

I took a look at the store the other day but they had the cheap 5mp. Depending on the quality of the camera, I'd like to spend up to $1500-$2500 roughly. I'm all about the Nikon. My current SLR is a Nikon 28-100mm. ;) But then again, I'm not happy with the lens on my SLR. I've tried different Nikon lenses with my camera and it's scratched the inside. :cry:

If you don't mind 2nd hand, there are lots of good deals inside the Buy and Sell section. There are some D70s floating around (which means they must be pretty new), as well as D70. Many of them sell with kit lens (which, I feel, is a very decent glass). The D70s kit should be +/- $1.5k, which leaves you another 1k odd to buy other equipment like flash and what nots.

If you want to buy brand new and stretch your budget, the D200 (as mentioned) looks like an extremely promising camera. Although you need to top up your budget even more for a decent matching lens. The Nikon sub-forum will have all the advice you need, once you narrow your choices and need more help :)

JediForce4ever said:
so maybe you can consider a Nikon body, so that you might be able to borrow lenses from your company....
oo...if carrying a 80-200mmf2.8 makes your arm hurt...you shld try carrying a 300mmf2.8;p

Or a 50-500 or 100-400 for that matter... Lol :bsmilie:

Well, it won't be this year that I'll be getting the camera as most of my next paycheck will be going towards xmas presents, etc. So hopefully I'll be able to begin saving after that. :sweat:

The D200 from Nikon looks very nice....Price: $1,699.95 US. (worth the stretch), and I'd be able to save up a couple paychecks before splurging on it in the new year. :cool:

hopefulphoto said:
Well, it won't be this year that I'll be getting the camera as most of my next paycheck will be going towards xmas presents, etc. So hopefully I'll be able to begin saving after that. :sweat:

The D200 from Nikon looks very nice....Price: $1,699.95 US. (worth the stretch), and I'd be able to save up a couple paychecks before splurging on it in the new year. :cool:
go for it!!!BUY BUY BUY!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.