Just a thought..how necessary is dry box/cabinets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashbulb

Jun 20, 2008
when i think about it, shops i observed do not keep their lens in dry cabinets or dry box just inside the package box and put on shelf or display cabinet or store.

In the case of lenses, the packaging doesnt exactly say date of manufacture so got chance the lens on the shelf for several months already or even years.

Opinions?

actually.. im guilty of not having a dry cabinet.. juz small packs of silica gel in my camera bag which i hv nt changed till day 1...

its been close to 8 mths since i owned by DSLR... no fungus yet..most probably coz i use it often.. i only hv 2 lens, so use them frequently.. but i definitely will get one once my lens collection expands..

on d shop thing, i think most shops are like air conditioned.. so tink d air quite dry mah ( i think la. haha)... thats y maybe no fungus...

the stocks in the shop come and go very fast 1.. and yea most of the shop are air-condition.. so the humility is quite low..so don worry..:D:D:D

Someone once told mw here, in ClubSNAP, that if you only have a few cheap kit-lens or a PnS camera.... you could risk not getting a dry cabinate..... But would you do the same if you have a few higher end lenes + 2 DSLR body :sweat:

Therefore to get a dry cabinate to 'replace' that dry box would very much depends on how much gears you have & how much does your total gear cost you. And how LUCKY do you think you are.... :sweatsm:

is it really difficult to just get a dry cap?? i mean.. jus get 1 and u can like have a ease of your mind..and don have to worry about fungus growing or anything:dunno:

is it really difficult to just get a dry cap?? i mean.. jus get 1 and u can like have a ease of your mind..and don have to worry about fungus growing or anything:dunno:

Getting a dry cabinet doesn't mean you are 100% safe from fungus or molds..... I know of some DSLR users still using a dry box and silicon beads... or even 'Hungry Hippo'. :D The don't have a problem with their 'system'.

All I'm saying is this..... do you want to take the Risk ?? :think:

Plus heating up the silicon every time they turn 'Pink' on a slow fire..... :sweatsm:

yea actually u are rite.. its about the risk.. do u wanna take the risk? thats the question man!1

And don't forget.... Your Dry Cabinet (once set correctly) will maintance the correct temp and humidity all the time. If you open the cabinet to remove an item.... the cabinet will 'kick in' and correct the increase in humidity due to the outside air going in. You can't say the same for the dry Box using silicon or hungry hippo..... :bsmilie:

Too dry.... and the rubber seal on your camera/lens might crack.

Too humidity.... and you might be picking 'mushroom'.

actually.. im guilty of not having a dry cabinet.. juz small packs of silica gel in my camera bag which i hv nt changed till day 1...

its been close to 8 mths since i owned by DSLR... no fungus yet..most probably coz i use it often.. i only hv 2 lens, so use them frequently.. but i definitely will get one once my lens collection expands..

It's your choice, but...
- the gel packs in your camera bag are next to useless -- they contain very little gel and your bag is not airtight (is it), so they are were probably saturated from day 1
- using them frequently does not protect your lenses from fungus, unless you use/store them in a low humidity environment -- outdoors in Singapore is always humid
- fungus takes a while to develop and become visible. Lenses vary in susceptibility.

There are budget options if you don't want to spend too much. I used to store my gear in a Tupperware breadbox -- airtight, and there was a space below for crumbs which was good for Silica Gel. If you already have an airtight container (doesn't have to be camera specific), the Silica gel will cost you a few bucks.

I shall relate my experience; after having my dslr and 1 len for 6 months, I decided to get the silicon beads and placed them in my bag with the equipment. Few days later, I was shocked to see that all the silicon beads have turned to a deep tone colour; indicating that it was too humid. This prompted me to get a dry-cabi to store my equipment immediately. Had I not check my gear that day, wondering what will happen to my len now...

the stocks in the shop come and go very fast 1.. and yea most of the shop are air-condition.. so the humility is quite low..so don worry..:D:D:D
So in a sense as long the aircon is on whole day, dry box not really necessary and can just leave everything in the camera bag if follow shops example?

For those "stuck" models, do you ask when the lens came in before buying?

Last edited:
I shall relate my experience; after having my dslr and 1 len for 6 months, I decided to get the silicon beads and placed them in my bag with the equipment. Few days later, I was shocked to see that all the silicon beads have turned to a deep tone colour; indicating that it was too humid. This prompted me to get a dry-cabi to store my equipment immediately. Had I not check my gear that day, wondering what will happen to my len now...

HAhaha...Deep tone of blue is when the silica gels are new. =)
Sooo... it could really mean theres nothing wrong.

so you have no problems not knowing when exactly the lens were made?

So in a sense as long the aircon is on whole day, dry box not really necessary and can just leave everything in the camera bag if follow shops example?

For those "stuck" models, do you ask when the lens came in before buying?

I'd say it's really fine. Air-conditioning brings humidity to about 55 -70% so it's not too bad. I'd think the lens will be fine even if it is left on the shelf for over a year.

I've started out with a dry box, and I supplemented it with a "Thirst Hippo" Dehumidifier. It works very well, with humidity kept below 30%. In a sense, it worked a little too well, since the preferred humidity is within the 45-55% range, as suggested by fellow CSers in some other threads.

I later moved on to a dry cabinet as I needed more space. It provides more control, and I have no complaints about it.

With regards to the original question, I'd say it is a good idea to invest in at least a dry box or Tupperware stuffed with silica gel. Considering the fact that fungus growth is undesirable, and that it is honestly not that expensive to protect your lenses against it, I say why not.

Then again, your lenses aren't that frail and can definitely survive on its own, even in the warm humid air of Singapore, for an extended period of time.

If you've already spent thousands or more on your gear, why skimp on a $100 dry cabinet? Do you really want to wait until u see fungus first before buying? Sending the lens for cleaning will cost more than a dry cabinet.

Hot+humid = fungus. There is no way around this. Its not even a risk because it WILL happen. Its only a matter of time.

If you've already spent thousands or more on your gear, why skimp on a $100 dry cabinet? Do you really want to wait until u see fungus first before buying? Sending the lens for cleaning will cost more than a dry cabinet.

Hot+humid = fungus. There is no way around this. Its not even a risk because it WILL happen. Its only a matter of time.

exactly!

P.S-How much does lens cleaning cost anyway? :think:

Usually cost quite a lot to clean fungus off. Worst case scenario is where you get a particular specsis that "eats" into the lens coating, that's usually the point where they just tell you buy a new one.

I just think of a dry cabinet as a place to keep my camera instead of it lying around on tables or whereever. Keeps things organised too.

Usually cost quite a lot to clean fungus off. Worst case scenario is where you get a particular specsis that "eats" into the lens coating, that's usually the point where they just tell you buy a new one.

I just think of a dry cabinet as a place to keep my camera instead of it lying around on tables or whereever. Keeps things organised too.

but how much exactly? :bsmilie: tens of dollars? up to $100?

and yea, i agree. haha. My room's a mess so when I didn't have a cabinet...I just put my DSLR and accompanying lens 'on top' of the mess

dreadful...:sweat:

Last edited:
Definately more than a few hundred dollars thats for sure. Exact costs would be dependent on the extend of the fungal growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.