Just a thought - focus stacking

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
A wild thought in a slow afternoon: a lot of cameras support exposure bracketing. Wouldn't it be cool if one can do focus stacking in-camera? Any camera already do that? Using external remote software seems cumbersome.

Just a thought...

Something like: set camera to rapid shot (say 10 shots of more). Aim and compose. Then press and hold shutter release... camera shoots 10 shots with +/- an epsilon focusing distance from the first shot with epsilon being a tunable parameter.

Useful or not, you think?

ya i think it'll be usefull, especially at night shoot with large aperture lens where u can miss the focus by a bit, one function to bracket the focusing distance per constant value would be appreciated :)

Should be very useful for macro photography where DOF is extremely shallow.

But I suppose the speed of a lens changing focus won't be that fast? Besides, I guess it's hard to determine the amount of adjustment needed for each shot. I don't know.

IsenGrim said:
There are programs out there that let you do that.
Helicon Focus - extended depth of field, focus stacking, 3D visualization

To do focus stacking, you'd need to be on a tripod. But once you're on it, manual stacking is pretty easy.

Same goes for exposure bracketing. Just that if already built in as a camera function, far less hassle and more accurate mar.

To think abt it, to automate the full stacking process, it will require the lens to traverse through a series of focusing distance, would it be better to built this feature in future macro lenses? Maybe a switch call stacking mode and incorporate with CH mode On body to take a series of pics from MFD to 0.5m?

Some of the high end microscopes already have this function in software.

cks2k2 said:
Some of the high end microscopes already have this function in software.

Just discovered that it is available on the S100 that I bought. I have yet to experiment with it though.

Just discovered that it is available on the S100 that I bought. I have yet to experiment with it though.

In fact DSLR users can do it with magic lantern I think.

UncleFai said:

Ooh it came! Congrats! I think it's a new feature I don't see it on the S95.