Just a question about grey set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier i've seen threads concerning grey sets. Am i right to say that 'grey products' are equipments that comes with warranty issued by the shop rather than the Manufacturer like Canon? Hence they are able to sell at lower price?

I don't think reputable camera shops like MS COLOUR or AP sell cameras (300D) that are grey sets right?

Thank you for ya time.

i don't know how correct am i,

i think reputable shops do sell grey products too. if you consider B&H as reputable, yes B&H do sell grey stuff too.

as for warranty, some shops offer their own warranty on grey products. i believe TCW is such a shop. i'm not sure about other shops but they may not provide warranty.

yes i think your idea is correct - warranty is not offered by canon that's why it's cheaper.. but the part about the shop giving the warranty.. another issue completely.

however, don't count on me saying this, there are actually people who've bought grey sets but canon have honoured the warranty. i believe some here might have experiences with this. but don't count on it. but one thing is for sure - most of the time there are absolutely no differences between grey and normal sets - most of the time.

however i guess most people will feel more comfortable buying something with warranty than none.

hope these help

TCW = The Camera Workshop. They sell brandnew stuff along with 2nd hand stuff and do repairs too.

There are also people who bought gray sets from www.adoroma.com and they came with International Warranty cards so they are as good as full warranty items ;p but they may just be lucky.

sequitur said:
however, don't count on me saying this, there are actually people who've bought grey sets but canon have honoured the warranty. i believe some here might have experiences with this. but don't count on it. but one thing is for sure - most of the time there are absolutely no differences between grey and normal sets - most of the time.

however i guess most people will feel more comfortable buying something with warranty than none.

hope these help

Hi, if there is no different, then why is one given warranty and the other not?
This is one those business things that puzzles me like why tickets bought from airlines are more expensive then from travel agents (but that is different story :sweat: )

cheers

yup

the camera workshop

if you know where cathay is,

exit cathay, go towards peninsula uh.. is that peninsula plaza ? or something, then you'll see a door with ruby photo on the left and spinellis (spaghettis) on the right, get in and walk straight down and you'll see TCW.

friendly guys there so just pop a question and they'll answer.

never did business with them though though i've chatted with some of the salespeople - it's just coz i belong to those that feel more comfortable buying stuff with warranty

Brandon said:
Hi, if there is no different, then why is one given warranty and the other not?
This is one those business things that puzzles me like why tickets bought from airlines are more expensive then from travel agents (but that is different story :sweat: )

cheers

hi brandon, i wish i could answer your question, but unfortunately i don't work for canon nor nikon nor any sales company to give you an idea why warrantied products cost more...

but okay i think.. -THINK- that it's just like buying insurance. you pay an extra $xxx for your equipment, they'll insure your equipment for one year, including whatever stuff. so you can decide you want the equipment and you don't need the insurance, so you don't pay the extra money.

if in any case something happens within a year (touch on wood), the company will cover the "payout" (which is free repair) on your equipment. i guess that's one logical way of explaining it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.