Jurong Rock Cavern

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Friends commented that it is a lot of money to spend on digging a hole. I feel that it is an important learning experience to prepare for the eventual rising sea levels - Singapore will go undersea and underground.

Wonder if we can dig all the way to below our neighbors' territory.

Of course it is feasible, why not?

As one of the casus belli, It is also how the First Gulf War started when Kuwait started directional drilling into Saddam Hussien's Rumaila Oil Field. :bsmilie:

Maybe the Malaysians are already under us. :bsmilie:

Rbb7GYz.jpg

Herrenknecht AG, Multi-Mode Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM)
World's First Variable Density (VD) Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM)

Wonder if they will to review if the HDB flats should have basements and max the roof spaces one day. With our weather, we should even cover up between blocks and make full use of all the spaces. When I see playgrounds and public pools built without shades? They are only useful for a couple of hours a day.

Wonder if they will to review if the HDB flats should have basements and max the roof spaces one day.
Why do you think the design of the HDB houses is so close to the age old design of houses on poles (which is typical for the region)?
I believe the cavern has a lot of protection measures in place - otherwise it would become an underground rainwater tank soon.

Why do you think the design of the HDB houses is so close to the age old design of houses on poles (which is typical for the region)?
I believe the cavern has a lot of protection measures in place - otherwise it would become an underground rainwater tank soon.

Underground Koi pond is what the town planner has in mind. :bsmilie:

Of course our HDB aren't the worse design but we have been tearing down some of the older flats to build new ones.

I am sure there are a few things we could consider for our new flats which are necessary for our small island. Having basement may help to reduce the needs to keep digging our roads to lay new services and max the use of the land. I also feel that if we link them better, at least each apartment will have 2 escape routes in case of fire. Adding solar cells panels or photovoltaic panels between blocks can also add more shade against the sun.

Renewal also generate new jobs and enhance asset value??

Wonder if they will to review if the HDB flats should have basements and max the roof spaces one day. With our weather, we should even cover up between blocks and make full use of all the spaces. When I see playgrounds and public pools built without shades? They are only useful for a couple of hours a day.

Basements are v expensive to make.........

HDB is 'subsidized'......... where got money?

Any subterranean structures below the water table will be prone to the collection and pooling of water due to the natural movement of aquifer, one will be surprise how many industrial waterpumps it can take just to keep a section of rapid transit tunnel dry.

Friends commented that it is a lot of money to spend on digging a hole. I feel that it is an important learning experience to prepare for the eventual rising sea levels - Singapore will go undersea and underground.

Technology is so advanced that we can dig tunnels underground, under the seas & even under mountains. Check out the Cross Harbour Tunnel (Hong Kong), Seikan Tunnel (Japan), Channel Tunnel (UK-France) & the soon to be completed Gotthard Base Tunnel (Switzerland). There is an eye-opening youtube video on the construction of the Gotthard.

We will be building MRT tunnels & stations linking Singapore & Johor by 2018...

The next generation may have to be prepared to learn to live underground :)

Last edited:
The next generation may have to be prepared to learn to live underground :)

For an underground city Singapore may have to look to Hong Kong.

From Hong Kong station to Central in Hong Kong Island is just one long underground tunnel some parts with moving walkways. The distance is not exactly short but with some shops lining it, it makes walking without the sun, rain and traffic noises a more pleasant experience.

To exponentially increase land space to accomodate ever increasing migrants, we have no choice but to reclaim more lands from the sea.

Look at the name of our country "新加坡" meaning "New Added Fields".

:)

Basements are v expensive to make......... HDB is 'subsidized'......... where got money?

New citizen pay more, FT pay even more for lower basement? Haha

Was just engaging in "TCSS brainstorming session" with fellow kopi kakis in civil engineering that who knows..., possible JRC conversion for "special purpose" usage with Five Nines reliability semi-permanent Environmental Control & Life Support Systems (ECLSSes) within 24 to 48 hours to supplement pre-existing facilities deep within Bukit Timah Granite Formation. :bsmilie:

ALzDrHH.png

H3vLpJo.png

UjAOAT1.jpg

aRWlR62.jpg

HVpa8jh.jpg

One pic looks like MRT station connected to the cavern.

One pic looks like MRT station connected to the cavern.
Nah, I sincerely doubt so in this particular scenario (without the benefit of foresight accorded to defence and urban planners) even if there exist a black budget surplus for the purpose of such a seemingly meaningless infrastructure. Perhaps when the Jurong Region MRT Line (JRL) is completed in approximately 10 years time and an alternate usage could be found which may then just come into handy.

Anyway I learned from one of the LTA / PUB project consultant that under some circumstances, it can be so cost prohibitive to extricate a disassembled Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) costing tens of millions of dollars or even scrap them in place that they (or parts thereof) may be simply abandoned as it is upon target objective completion which I found really interesting both from an archaeological and engineering perspective.

nBbhPL0.jpg

Was just going through some materials for the Jurong Rock Caverns (JRC)...

rZ6gGg8.png

jl5jopw.png

Very intriguing use of the Water Curtain Tunnel System (WCTS) as hydrodynamic containment to oversaturate and pressurise the surrounding sedimentary bedrock masses of the Jurong Formation.

Hydrodynamic Containment Principle Of Hydrocarbon Storage Caverns For Phase 1 Jurong Rock Caverns (JRC)
By Alexandra Guichon Goldschneider, Eric Amantini, Pascal Briand and Philippe Vaskou

SuXU5bN.png

a2tq86k.png

Taking into account both Phase One and Phase Two stretching across underneath a significant proportion of the Banyan Basin. The total area and volume of the Jurong Rock Caverns (JRC) is somehow larger than I had initially imagine, the berthed Very Large Crude Carrier (VLCC) is a very good gauge for a relative comparison in scale.

Last edited: