Juroing Bird Park and Bird Photorgraphy

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatanic

Aug 9, 2007
Hi,

I would like to venture out bird photography this Sunday at Jurong Bird park becuase I can get in free. The reason why I can get in free was because it's my dad's company family day. Hehe... Anyway, I would to take some bird shots which I know nuts about bird photography. So I'm seeking your advise, experiences and knowledge to all bird photographers and any professional photographers.

Here are some of my questions:

- As many of you have been to Jurong Bird Park, I was just wondering on how do you manage to get your shots of birds in cages. As what i can remember years ago when i was there, there are some beautiful bird that are locked up in cages. So how to actually get the bird shots without the cage grill

- As I'll be renting a DSLR for this particular photoshot, I would like to know what zoom lens are suitable for bird shots.

- Is a fill flash a must need if i were to take in the morning around 9-12. According to some resources I read from the net, they say that fill flash is a must for bird photography but from what i understand, the exposure condition at that time can be considered bright

Here are some of the questions that I can think about. If you guys have any advise, shoot it. I'm willing to hear.

I just got the news today it's kinda like rushing so didn't got time to read resources on the net. Your help, advise is greatly and deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance

Regards

Fill flash is necessary when you want to bring out the colors of the bird or bring out the whole subject if the background is brighter than the bird. But if the lighting is good, it is not necessary. Actually, flash is a personal preference. The golden light period, early morning and sunset, is the best for bird photography :) I am also a newbie in bird photography and I am lucky to have someone to learn from.

Oh yeah. Be sure to set your camera at a AF-C, which means auto focus continuous because birds move quite fast. A telephoto lens is a must. Go and join in those small bird shows that they have. Birds will be flying around and you can take a few shots there.

HTHs.

1) get up close to the cage and go to your largest aperature.

2) i'd say something with at least a 200mm range. at least. when i went i used a 70-300mm

3) fill flash, since you're renting a dslr, i'm assuming that you're not too experienced so i would advise to stay away. otherwise you'd probably have to rent a speedlight as well and then learn how to balance with ambient light and all that... just stick with natural light for now, dont think fill flash would work for birds in cages (cast shadows) or birds that are far away (which is what the zoom lens is for).

remember the general guideline is to have the focus on the eyes, so keep that in mind when shooting.
the bird park is a really nice place, great for birding. try to spend as much time there as possible!
here are a few shots i got from there:

_MG_6987.jpg

_MG_6929.jpg

_MG_6934.jpg

_MG_7084.jpg

Hey guys...

Thanks for the advise.... Nice set of shot u got there dw2chan.... will post some of my shot here..

not too sure about this(never tried bird photography) but with the long focal length and all, is a tripod advisable even though there is good lighting conditions?:)

Stay close to iron grill. Shoot the one that is farther away as this will help to get the iron grill out of focus. Sometimes they don't stay far out enough and limited by aperture size, then nothing much can be done. :(

not too sure about this(never tried bird photography) but with the long focal length and all, is a tripod advisable even though there is good lighting conditions?:)

I think it is advisable cause with those long and heavy lens it must be very tiring to hold and wait for the birds. So ya I think it is advisable...

I think monopod la. More flexible and Not as heavy as tripod. When you want to lift it up it is easier too. Just have to stabilize with your hands which isn't reall tiring. Do consider a monopod. :D

Dont bother taking birds in cages as this would make a Zoo-Effect, whats best is that u could get a clear background and again, try not to show people in the background or man made structures as this will turn any bird photos off no matter how sharp or timing caught etc.

My opinion. peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.