Jupiter and her moons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starman

Apr 15, 2002
Visit site
Took for fun. Raw picture, no processing nothing.

jupmoon.jpg

4 main moons of Jupiter. Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. The picture not very nice because didn't have the intention to take it in the first place, so didn't prepare the right stuff for it.

Actually to take nice ones will be very difficult. Jupiter very bright and her moons are very dim. Get one and you will either overexposed or couldn't get the other. Guess the right way is to do mosiac.

Anyway, thought it was kind of refreshing to see other planet's moons.

Originally posted by Zoomer
Can you make the moons bigger? :D

Don't think so. Note that the moons didn't even appear in the LCD of the camera, it's that dim.

Anyway, took a better pic of Saturn tonight:

saturn.jpg

And an open cluster code name M41 in the constellation of Canis Major

m41.gif

First time tried the above. Just 3 seconds of exposure..anymore and I will leave star trails on the photo.

Starman, what brand and model of scope did you use ? Any ideal what is the cost ? I'm also interested in.....

Originally posted by hagenuk
Starman, what brand and model of scope did you use ? Any ideal what is the cost ? I'm also interested in.....

Meade LX-90. Cost about $3.5K - $4K...depending how much your dealer charge you for shipping.

The scope is one thing....you also have to add in cost for adaptors, eyepieces, motorised focuser (for precise focusing) and maybe some other stuff that makes your photographing easier, like a larger LCD screen for easier viewing and focusing.

All in all, be prepared for at least $6-$7K. Eyepieces will be expensive.

But you can also use smaller scopes which could be cheaper. The LX-90 is an 8" scope ...a 5" one can also do the job pretty well. And it's far cheaper and lighter, so shipping cost will be more managable.

If you are really into this let me know your budget and I can suggest some scopes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.