Jumping shots settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welisha

Jun 25, 2009
welisha.multiply.com
Hi experts may i know if anyone can advise, how to take for example a jumping shot, someone or a few ppl jumping. So tt it will be sharp rather than blur.

1) if one person, settings? should i focus before he jump or after?

2) if more than one? settings? where or who do i focus?

Many thanks!!

increase shutter speed to 1/250 or higher. open up aperture to compensate. increase ISO if required.

One or more people jumping doesn't matter. Just switch to shutter priority mode, set it at 1/250 to 1/500.

Focus: You're usually not standing 1m in front of them, so the focus won't matter; you can focus on them while they're on the ground and keep the shutter half-pressed to lock focus, then just fire away as they jump. Best to set your drive mode to burst, so that you capture a series of pics instead of only one. Increases your chances of getting the one good shot.

One or more people jumping doesn't matter. Just switch to shutter priority mode, set it at 1/250 to 1/500.

Focus: You're usually not standing 1m in front of them, so the focus won't matter; you can focus on them while they're on the ground and keep the shutter half-pressed to lock focus, then just fire away as they jump. Best to set your drive mode to burst, so that you capture a series of pics instead of only one. Increases your chances of getting the one good shot.

Thanks for advice will try it out!! : ) Will just adjusting the shutter higher affect the pics n underexpose? for eg. too dark etc?

Thanks for advice will try it out!! : ) Will just adjusting the shutter higher affect the pics n underexpose? for eg. too dark etc?

That's why you should use shutter priority mode. Your camera will auto-compensate the other values to get the correct exposure.

That's why you should use shutter priority mode. Your camera will auto-compensate the other values to get the correct exposure.

orh ok noted with thanks : )

i was once told by someone that if ur focus length is 50mm than ur shutterspeed is suppose to be like 1/50, to product a sharp photo without blur. is it true ?

i was once told by someone that if ur focus length is 50mm than ur shutterspeed is suppose to be like 1/50, to product a sharp photo without blur. is it true ?

1/2 True, if only the person/or subject is not moving... if the subject is moving 1/100 or more, if you and the subject is moving 1/250 for a focal length of 50mm.

It is also possible to hold a 24mm lens at 1/8, so the 1/focal length rule is just a general guide.

wait what that doesnt make sense?

so if youre using a a 10-22mm at 10mm you should be aiming for a shutter speed of 1/10
which without a tripod will be seriously shaky haha

that is a general guild for shutter speed to use base on lens focal length when camera is handheld. if you hands are weak, and shake badly, or holding with a technique/posture, this guild is useless.

Hi experts may i know if anyone can advise, how to take for example a jumping shot, someone or a few ppl jumping. So tt it will be sharp rather than blur.

1) if one person, settings? should i focus before he jump or after?

2) if more than one? settings? where or who do i focus?

Many thanks!!
recommend shutter speed is 1/500 and above,
the person can only jump upward, not forward or backward.
focus on the center person, use f8. 1, 2, 3, jump!

that true, according to this website,

quote from "http://www.thedaily.com.au/blogs/photo-club/2007/nov/18/shutter-speed/"

-"1/60s or 1/125s are regarded as the slowest speeds at which most people can hand hold a camera without support and prevent “camera shake” blurring images."

recommend shutter speed is 1/500 and above,
the person can only jump upward, not forward or backward.
focus on the center person, use f8. 1, 2, 3, jump!

How about iso? increase yea? like let say 800 under really dark condition ><

so if youre using a a 10-22mm at 10mm you should be aiming for a shutter speed of 1/10
which without a tripod will be seriously shaky haha

1/10 at 10mm(16mm equivalent) is definitely hand-holdable with a pair of decently steady hands.

Try connecting your flash to an external battery pack and set your camera to use burst mode.

It works for me. :)

that true, according to this website,

quote from "http://www.thedaily.com.au/blogs/photo-club/2007/nov/18/shutter-speed/"

-"1/60s or 1/125s are regarded as the slowest speeds at which most people can hand hold a camera without support and prevent “camera shake” blurring images."

Consult a website for photography if you want to get expert advice about photography. Or do you ask your hairdresser about your car oil service? :)
As mentioned by others, the guide here is the relation between shutter speed and focal length. Leaving out one or the other makes the statement imprecise. Check the Newbie Guides in the forum, plenty of advice from photographers for photographers.

Burst mode probably needed due to shutter lag time and human error. And of course you may need a couple of tries to get a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.