Jumping ship to Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ismokeweed79

Jun 14, 2010
Admiralty
Hey guys, i'm in a difficult position right now.

I am now using a Sony A230 + kit lens

Should i move to canon before i start to invest more into Sony?

I'm a student so i have very low budgets to buy lens, on the other hand, my good friend has an array of lens since both him and his father uses canon, they both rely on photography for a living.

He has been persuading me to move to canon,he can lend me lens when i need it, but now, should i jump ship to canon?

Hope you bros can voice in your views.

if you want to jump, do it before you sink deeper into Sony.

Canon and Nikon do make up the majority of the professional equipment out there right now. Sony still needs to make a name for themselves.

The CZ lenses are the eqivilent to an L series lens I believe. They also have a G series lens which is a little better than base glass.

Im unfamiliar with the lenses available for sony, but I know canon has a huge range of lenses along with a ton of 3rd party lenses of pretty darn good quality.

Hey guys, i'm in a difficult position right now.

I am now using a Sony A230 + kit lens

Should i move to canon before i start to invest more into Sony?

I'm a student so i have very low budgets to buy lens, on the other hand, my good friend has an array of lens since both him and his father uses canon, they both rely on photography for a living.

He has been persuading me to move to canon,he can lend me lens when i need it, but now, should i jump ship to canon?

Hope you bros can voice in your views.

Look at the number of threads on Canon and Nikon. Theres a reason why these 2 brands are the preferred choice.

i would recommend you to jump to Canon, not because I'm a Canon user but from your point that you have friends/mentors using Canon. You'll learn much faster and gain more experience sharing knowledge with them and at the same time getting access to most of the high-quality lenses.

The question how much and what kind of lenses Canon, Nikon or Sony have seems to be irrelevant here.
TS: are these people genuine in their offer to lend you lenses? If they really are then this remarkable and you should be happy to have such good friends. Personally, a camera is a tool. Don't create a religion out of it with 'jumping ship' and whatnot. If a Canon body gives you more compatibility with existing gear then just use this.

Last edited:
U
Canon and Nikon do make up the majority of the professional equipment out there right now. Sony still needs to make a name for themselves.

The CZ lenses are the eqivilent to an L series lens I believe. They also have a G series lens which is a little better than base glass.

Im unfamiliar with the lenses available for sony, but I know canon has a huge range of lenses along with a ton of 3rd party lenses of pretty darn good quality.

The sony (and minolta) G lenses is equivilent to the canon L.

The Carl Zeiss is slightly better than G series.

For example the CZ 24-70 is sharper than both minolta 28-70 G and canon 24-70 L

Anyway ts, if ur friend can lend u lenses, than maybe its good to change system, purely because this move saves money cos u no need to buy lenses.

The question how much and what kind of lenses Canon, Nikon or Sony have seems to be irrelevant here.
TS: are these people quinine in their offer to lend you lenses? If they really are then this remarkable and you should be happy to have such good friends. Personally, a camera is a tool. Don't create a religion out of it with 'jumping ship' and whatnot. If a Canon body gives you more compatibility with existing gear then just use this.

This is the real genuine advice here. Many lenses does not mean you can or have to buy all of them. As hobby or normal photography, you only need a few lenses.

As for borrowing lenses, its really up to individual. If your friends are really willing to borrow you any lens regularly, you have got really good friends. Sometimes even real brothers also dun borrow as often and prefer to have own equipment.

Whats stopping you in sony? What lens you need? What photos you need to take?

I have jumped ship to nikon and to canon and eventually still came back to sony 3 times. Sometimes its not the lenses or good iq that keeps the user. For me, having a camera that i like and easy for me to take photos is more important. Willing to take photos is better than having good equipment but you find it difficult to use.

I suggest you try a500 or a550 if your concern is high iso performance. Lens choice is about the same. Theres plenty of 3rd party as well.

If I can extract the key points of your post:

a) I'm a student so i have very low budgets to buy lens
b) my good friend has an array of lens
c) he can lend me lens when i need it

You already have the answer. No need to think further.

This is the real genuine advice here. Many lenses does not mean you can or have to buy all of them. As hobby or normal photography, you only need a few lenses.

As for borrowing lenses, its really up to individual. If your friends are really willing to borrow you any lens regularly, you have got really good friends. Sometimes even real brothers also dun borrow as often and prefer to have own equipment.

Whats stopping you in sony? What lens you need? What photos you need to take?

I have jumped ship to nikon and to canon and eventually still came back to sony 3 times. Sometimes its not the lenses or good iq that keeps the user. For me, having a camera that i like and easy for me to take photos is more important. Willing to take photos is better than having good equipment but you find it difficult to use.

I suggest you try a500 or a550 if your concern is high iso performance. Lens choice is about the same. Theres plenty of 3rd party as well.

Bro Ouverture is right... its the user and not the camera that gives good pictures. Yes, a good tool (camera) does help from an IQ perspective. Composition and creativity comes from the user. End of the day, you have to be comfortable with the equipment you have. My $0.02 worth.

Frankly speaking bro y u need to jump to canon? Will ur foto turn into a pro shot wen u jump ship? Wat is lacking in sony?

If u'r just a hobbyist and serious one at it, i dont tink changing from 1 ship to another is a matter of death. Shoot with wat u have. If u'r new in photography, learn more on wat u can achieve. Brand is just brand, e one who does e tinkin and shootin is u. Y limit urself to brand.

I think... you should consider carefully before you make any hasty decisions.
If you like a particular Canon model and you feel that's the one you really want, then by all means.

Don't want you to jump ship then regret, that's all.

I've recently asked a similar question to jump ship from Sony to Nikon, do view this thread http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727532.

I'm abit puzzled why in my thread, majority adviced me to stick to sony.
Maybe because you don't have a rich (and generous) friend with an array of Nikkor lenses at your disposal :)

if i were u id jump to nikon. i feel like they tend to be cheaper when it comes to 2nd hand stuff and 3rd party lenses. but its personal preference in the end

I think... you should consider carefully before you make any hasty decisions.
If you like a particular Canon model and you feel that's the one you really want, then by all means.

Don't want you to jump ship then regret, that's all.

Another good piece of advice from ZCA.

Its always the "grass (glass for our case) is always greener on the other side" syndrome that makes our backside itchy.

For those with deep wallets, of course no issue to change every now and then. We just want to give advice from the loss of our hard earned money which led to nothing (not much iq improvement as consumer point of view) disappointments.

But seriously, since you only have a body and kit lens, its not so much of jumping ship. Rather its changing tool. Imagine when you have accessories and 10 over lenses, the losses will be substantial.

if i were u id jump to nikon. i feel like they tend to be cheaper when it comes to 2nd hand stuff and 3rd party lenses. but its personal preference in the end

I dont think Canon and Nikon lens are cheaper. They are already the big players , of course they charge premium right ?

As for third party lens, C.N.S has third pary lens support. No apparent advantage from either Brands.

You do not need to own the same system camera and lens to learn photography from each other. My friend uses Canon and Nikon , I use Sony. We discuss photography all the time . dont see how having different systems stopped our growth together.

C and N obviously has larger number of lens released , and if you analyse what is really used . You cant run away from the basic ultra wide , wide , 1.4 primes, 24-70 . 18-55. 70-200.

Which again all 3 Brands have as well.

For you moving to another Brand makes sense if you are going to get alot of free lens and accessories to use. Really , being owners of lens, you will get worried if you are lending them to your frens. Especially if they are just starting out on photography. Hence , I dont know how geniune your fren is , as raised by other Bros earlier.

Say you buy another camera body , it comes with cost as well right ? The additional cost can perhaps buy you a fast lens on your current body already

Last edited:
I have used my friend's 500D and after using my A230, i admit, felt abit disgusted by the plastic feel.
But anyway, that isn't the main problem.

I have used my friend's 500D and after using my A230, i admit, felt abit disgusted by the plastic feel.
But anyway, that isn't the main problem.

Yah the A230 is plasticky , but when you buy the A230 , you know its entry level ma.

I too feel that my friend's 500D feels plastic , compared to my old A350 lol.

Samething when I hold my Friend's D700 , I feel my Alpha350 is not solid haha

Status
Not open for further replies.