July Exhibition at Singapore History Museum - Photo Essays V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancelee

Jan 16, 2003
offstone.com
OFFSTONE July exhibition at Singapore History Museum

Photo Essays V.2

For the second time, Offstone Photographers, with the support of SHM, will be presenting another photographic showcase featuring marginalised factions in today’s society. This collaboration between SHM and Offstone aims to project a visual social commentary by giving a voice to the unheard through these pictures. This time, expect an interesting juxtaposition of two different photo essays by veteran Eddie Ng and amateur Victoria Ho.

“My Fists Feed My Family” by Eddie Ng provides an insight into the lives of Cambodian kick-boxers who fight not only for that shot at fame, but more importantly, to earn money to feed an impoverished family. The photo essay ventures beyond the glamour and excitement of this popular sporting event, offering an alternative story of these gloved fist fighters trapped within four sides of the ring.

Newcomer Victoria Ho’s “Wide Open Spaces” illustrates a more overt physical limitation - that of the physically disabled in Singapore. Also a volunteer at a home for the disabled, Victoria debunks the stereotype that the disabled are uncommunicative, based on her firsthand experience at the home. “Wide Open Spaces” aims to reveal the resilient human spirit in her subjects who, contrary to common belief, still retain the vibrance in their souls.

Eddie Ng is a veteran photographer who has travelled extensively in Southeast Asia documenting the life of diverse political, cultural and street environments. He is a senior executive in a financial services MNC. Victoria Ho is an undergraduate at the National university of Singapore and a freelance photographer. Together, both their works will offer a fresh perspective on the relationship between the mental and physical.

Above text is contributed by Yan Feng

More details here:
http://www.offstone.com/photo/showthread.php?threadid=4556

the official opening will commence at 2.30pm this saturday followed by light refreshments.

Vicki and myself will be speaking on how we went about researching and executing our stories.

Talks will be held each saturday at the same time. I'll post up the details soon.

ed

Posts split and renamed to reflect updated event.

Status
Not open for further replies.