JPG file saving question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearninKin

Sep 18, 2007
Realized that there is quite a huge difference in file size between out of camera JPGs and resaved JPGs in computer, although both dimensions are the same.. both look the same to me..

want to know whether it will affect the photo quality in a 4R print. im looking to save more space inside my comp and making the file size smaller but still able to print in 4R/view on my comp screen when needed.

Not sure if anyone has asked this one b4..

Realized that there is quite a huge difference in file size between out of camera JPGs and resaved JPGs in computer, although both dimensions are the same.. both look the same to me..

want to know whether it will affect the photo quality in a 4R print. im looking to save more space inside my comp and making the file size smaller but still able to print in 4R/view on my comp screen when needed.

Not sure if anyone has asked this one b4..

It's dependent on the amount of compression used and the algorithm. Although the differences cannot be detected by the naked eyes, there are some differences in terms of the high resolution details and the colours.

I would think 4R should be fine.

( Unless somehow the compression setting you set is really really high )

Ryan

guess ill go ahead and make all those files smaller then.. thanks for the comments

always keep a copy of camera original files, be it in CD, DVD or harddisc.

if you do not do any post production of your image as in fine tune color or what, you can just send the original camera jpg to print a 4R, need not to downsize to 1800x1200 pixel.

jpg is a losses file format, every time you resave the file, it will throw away some info to enable to compress it to a small file, altho the resave file bigger than the original camera jpg, but it does not contain more info than the original camera jpg. higher the compression, more info is discard.

I shoot jpg most of the time, if I do any editing to the jpg, I will save it in tiff, and a jpg just for printing only.

harddisc space is cheap by the way. only less than $1 per GB

always keep a copy of camera original files, be it in CD, DVD or harddisc.

if you do not do any post production of your image as in fine tune color or what, you can just send the original camera jpg to print a 4R, need not to downsize to 1800x1200 pixel.

jpg is a losses file format, every time you resave the file, it will throw away some info to enable to compress it to a small file, altho the resave file bigger than the original camera jpg, but it does not contain more info than the original camera jpg. higher the compression, more info is discard.

I shoot jpg most of the time, if I do any editing to the jpg, I will save it in tiff, and a jpg just for printing only.

it's dropped to so cheap now? hmmmmmmm..

*behinds time* ha..

Ya. I went to buy harddisk the other day at SL. And the smallest capacity they had for me was 160 GB. :bigeyes:

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.