JPEG vs RAW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

versatile

May 29, 2005
Sembawang
dendennism.deviantart.com
Tried taking both but found out that RAW quality is way better than JPEG.

Why is that so? But, the processing of RAW is "kinda" long. Due to speed of CF card or cam's itself?

Sorry for the newbie question..

Here's the sample in RAW mode.

213314482_7b39810abc_o.jpg

in brief, u can think of raw as a complete image...while the jpg files are actually processed and compressed..due to the compression, details will be lost, hence the lower image quality as compared to raw..

is there any settings for u to choose between the different qualities of jpg files?

and for ur second question: the size of a raw image for D70s is arnd 4mb while the fine(large) is ~2mb.... thus the raw file will take approx. 2 times the amount of time to write to the CF card.. Thus regardless of the CF card u use, the timing will still be approx. double..

kcuf2 said:
in brief, u can think of raw as a complete image...while the jpg files are actually processed and compressed..due to the compression, details will be lost, hence the lower image quality as compared to raw..

is there any settings for u to choose between the different qualities of jpg files?

and for ur second question: the size of a raw image for D70s is arnd 4mb while the fine(large) is ~2mb.... thus the raw file will take approx. 2 times the amount of time to write to the CF card.. Thus regardless of the CF card u use, the timing will still be approx. double..

So is it advisable to shoot with RAW mode in future? Settings for JPEG files? As in WB? WB-BKT or Sharpness etc?

Yay, i've only 1 256MB CF Card.. and if i'm gonna shoot with RAW mode, i can only max go up to 67 pictures.

shoot in RAW if u can afford the space (CF cards and HDD) and processing power on your PC.

if not stick to jpg.

take note of the different workflows. raws are good to process "one setting copy to alot of similar images" but take ages to convert to jpg or tiff. jpgs are smaller but you can only edit one at a time (u can do automations in photoshop but that's a little more complicated than batch processing for RAW). of course jpgs are compressed and the more you edit a jpg, the worse it becomes. RAW is better if you intend to do heaps of manipulation.

my view: stick to jpgs for now, at least until u get bigger cards, but the in meantime, shoot some test shots in raw and learn how to convert them and use it's advantages.

Also note tat for RAW, if you happen to screw up your exposure settings a WB settings, they can be tuned back in the PC.

But again, as the others have mentioned, since you do not have much space, shoot jpg.

My advice would be to buy a second hand 1GB CF(not too expensive here in BnS).You will definitely need the bigger space in the future.

Buy a bigger CF card. It's really cheap for the 4GB ones now. Go RAW :thumbsup:

i heard about pp saying that RAW allows users to change WB, exposure, and some other things. but cant that be done in jpeg too? like editing them in PS?

satay16 said:
i heard about pp saying that RAW allows users to change WB, exposure, and some other things. but cant that be done in jpeg too? like editing them in PS?

Yay, RAW able me to change my WB, exposure and misc. The quality still there unlike JPEG.. everything is so compressed and quality is not up to expectation (for me).

versatile said:
Yay, RAW able me to change my WB, exposure and misc. The quality still there unlike JPEG.. everything is so compressed and quality is not up to expectation (for me).

so jpeg cannot change WB? on second thought, how do you change WB in jpegs? cant find a button in PS to do that.

Last time I prefer JPEG for space constrain and lazy to edit on PC. Once I tried RAW, I can't go back to JPEG :bsmilie: . Memory card now is affordable than before (already half price than last year for some brand). IMHO, quality from RAW also better than JPEG.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Last time I prefer JPEG for space constrain and lazy to edit on PC. Once I tried RAW, I can't go back to JPEG :bsmilie: . Memory card now is affordable than before (already half price than last year for some brand). IMHO, quality from RAW also better than JPEG.

Yup. Once you see what RAW can do for you, you won't feel like going back to Jpegs. ;p

fireframe said:
Yup. Once you see what RAW can do for you, you won't feel like going back to Jpegs. ;p

Well... actually... it's all in the workflow. I personally am too lazy to edit ALL my photos the RAW way.... too much of a hassle to me. Only working shots or difficult situations would make me consider using RAW.

Jpegs are still easier for me. All I have to do is a simple resize and mebbe light sharpening and I get decent results.

zac08 said:
Well... actually... it's all in the workflow. I personally am too lazy to edit ALL my photos the RAW way.... too much of a hassle to me. Only working shots or difficult situations would make me consider using RAW.

Jpegs are still easier for me. All I have to do is a simple resize and mebbe light sharpening and I get decent results.
If the shoot is important to me, I'll do RAW+JPEG. If the JPEG is good enough, then I won't touch the RAW file.. ;)

fireframe said:
Once you see what RAW can do for you, you won't feel like going back to Jpegs. ;p

I had lousy experience with JPEG on my point-and-shoot camera and better experience with RAW on my point-and-shoot. After switching to DSLR, I still remain at shooting RAW.

Maybe, can anyone share their exprience on ways to tweak setting on DSLR so that the RAW image can be converted to JPEG with minimum processing like what Zac08 was saying ".... simple resize and mebbe light sharpening and I get decent results"

Squid said:
Maybe, can anyone share their exprience on ways to tweak setting on DSLR so that the RAW image can be converted to JPEG with minimum processing like what Zac08 was saying ".... simple resize and mebbe light sharpening and I get decent results"
What do you find yourself tweaking with your RAW files most of the time? If there is a setting in your camera to correct it (WB, Tone, Contrast, Sharpening, etc), then adjusting it from the camera is the way to go. If all you do is resize and sharpen, RAW isn't really adding any benefit to the workflow.

fireframe said:
What do you find yourself tweaking with your RAW files most of the time? If there is a setting in your camera to correct it (WB, Tone, Contrast, Sharpening, etc), then adjusting it from the camera is the way to go. If all you do is resize and sharpen, RAW isn't really adding any benefit to the workflow.

Precisely... As mentioned, unless you need to change white balance problems and other skin tone issues, then I'd rather stick with JPEGs...

RAW gives u a lot of controlling power, but only if you need it. Else to me, it's a waste of storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.