JPEG or RAW?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoia08

Jun 27, 2007
Singapore
Hi Bros,

This is a poll to see what you guys normally take your photo in.

I take in Raw, but take up lots of space.:cry:

Anyway, feel free to post comments. :lovegrin:

Sorry, accidentally close the previous thread. :embrass:

i still haven fully understand the reason for taking in raw, i oni noe user will have more control over it, but wat control?
sorry to hijack, but i need to enlightenment, i do shoot in raw sometimes and files are juz bigger.

My Fuji S5 Pro produces decent JPEG images. Therefore, if I am shooting a wedding or for an event, I will shoot JPEG 'Large'. I can give my clients the softcopy the following day.

If a client is not urgent to collect the softcopy (which is very unlikely for many Singaporeans), I will shoot RAW or RAW + JPEG depending on a case-by-case basis. :)

Y i shoot in raw is because It's easier to do brightness and contrast adjustment, as well as RGB adjustment.
Besides that, I don't really like raw because it takes up almost 3x the memory of JPEG.
And ofcoz you need to convert the files before developing or upload, which JPEG doesn't needs all this steps.

Last year, I had a Danish client who collected the softcopy from me 3 months after his wedding in Singapore.... With that much time, I can take my own sweet time and tweak all the RAW images one for every hour. :p

RAW + Jpeg most of the time, unless too much too shoot, or confirm no time or not worth to do post process.

But sometime, I find the original Jpeg version seem to be better than the RAW converted one, think my Raw Conversion skill is bad.

i still haven fully understand the reason for taking in raw, i oni noe user will have more control over it, but wat control?
sorry to hijack, but i need to enlightenment, i do shoot in raw sometimes and files are juz bigger.

You can tweak white balance as well as exposure, and curves, etc... even correct for colour finging and vignetting... ;)

Raw for sure ....

Much more advantage than JPEG but also need to see what is your needs too ..
Most of my client always allow me to do the stuff slowly so ... RAW + JPEG :lovegrin:

there are people that like to shoot jpeg cos its easy convenient no need to pp etc.. thats fair enough..

but , with the price of memory cards so low.. i really cannot see price as a justification.. especially if you have a DSLR.. i mean, why pay over 1k for a camera jsut to skimp 30-40 bucks on extra memory.

From previous thread,can anybody make my Adobe Photoshop 7 read Canon's RAW?

You can tweak white balance as well as exposure, and curves, etc... even correct for colour finging and vignetting... ;)

Pardon me, but can't you tweak all these in JPEG too? I thought after the file is open in Photoshop, it does not really matter anymore since JPEG also have to be decompressed to raw data before Photoshop can display them. Sorry, that's what I understand all along so just want to clarify.

Pardon me, but can't you tweak all these in JPEG too? I thought after the file is open in Photoshop, it does not really matter anymore since JPEG also have to be decompressed to raw data before Photoshop can display them. Sorry, that's what I understand all along so just want to clarify.

Basically under RAW, you will have more flexibility in terms of editing. You will squeeze extra IQ if you spend the time editing with RAW.

Compressed JPEG is a great format for storing "final" images. It achieves its compression rates by throwing image information away that is not readily visible. However, a lot of image processing serves the purpose of making not-so-visible subtle details more visible. This means that the better JPEG does its job, the less it is suited for further processing of the images.

Hi Luenny

Think of raw as the *negative* of the picture you take with your camera.
It holds whatever information passed from the camera sensor.

The jpg is that information that underwent interpolation, in camera processing for white balance, sharpening, and compression in whatever setting you used. Note that jpg is a loosy compression, you lose information during the creation of a jpg.

Cheers
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.