jpeg file saved as tiff

Status
Not open for further replies.

coke x

Jul 22, 2005
AMK
getting confused :confused: . what's the different when we shoot in
- tiff format and
- shoot in jpeg format then save it as tiff format in photoshop?

coke x said:
- tiff format and

tiff does not compress ur image thus resaving will not degrade the image quality but the file size is much much bigger than jpg. if you shoot in jpg, the image is already compressed, resaving back into tiff will not let the image go back to original before it was compressed to jpg in the camera.

for me i think jpg is good enough for me as long as i don keep opening and then saving the image again and again

coke x said:
- tiff format
and

pardon my ignorance, i think we cannot shoot in tiff format

pls correct me if i'm wrong

Some cameras allow you to shoot in Tiff but this is not common anymore. My Nikon coolpix 885 can shoot in tiff format but it is a rather old camera by todays standards.

life is short. dont waste time on picture quality

use jpeg

thobs said:

my fz5 could shoot in tiff, tho file size is 14MB compared to 2MB size by a 5MP jpeg :sweat:

user111 said:

use jpeg
depends on how u value your photos, it's application and how much pple are paying for it (if any).

can't use one rule to cover all dude.

anyway back on topic: tiff is rare now, most pple either shoot jpg, or raw.

coke x said:
- tiff format and

yup.. you question confuse me too... :confused:

jpeg files type is a compressed format for images, thus it compromise file size for picture quality, tiff is convented from raw files you get from your dslr, thought the quality is better, the file size is apporx 10 times more then jpeg...

if you shoot in jpeg, the quality is already compromised.., so imo it's no point conventing to tiff..

actually, saving from jpeg to tiff prevents the image from deteriorating further.

if you shoot in jpeg and wish to continue touching up on the image, save it as tiff. only when you are satisfy with the final result and want to send it for printing at a colour lab, save it as jpeg cos most labs dont accept files other than jpeg.

I'm just curious anyone out there saves jpeg2000. It's suppose to be an improvment on jpeg.

smtan24 said:
I'm just curious anyone out there saves jpeg2000. It's suppose to be an improvment on jpeg.
No camera out there today has implemented JPEG 2000. The compression is too resource-intesive

user111 said:

use jpeg

LOL! might as well say "life is short..just use a handphone cam" :bsmilie:

madmacs said:
LOL! might as well say "life is short..just use a handphone cam" :bsmilie:

Sometimes it's just more convenient to shoot with your handphone.

just to clear things up a bit

TIFF has compression as well, but it is lossless
JPEG uses a lossy compression, that is why the file size is so small

lossy = data is lost = detail is lost

do a google on the file formats to find out more

ExplorerZ said:
tiff does not compress ur image thus resaving will not degrade the image quality but the file size is much much bigger than jpg. if you shoot in jpg, the image is already compressed, resaving back into tiff will not let the image go back to original before it was compressed to jpg in the camera.

for me i think jpg is good enough for me as long as i don keep opening and then saving the image again and again
DT_ said:
yup.. you question confuse me too... :confused:

jpeg files type is a compressed format for images, thus it compromise file size for picture quality, tiff is convented from raw files you get from your dslr, thought the quality is better, the file size is apporx 10 times more then jpeg...

if you shoot in jpeg, the quality is already compromised.., so imo it's no point conventing to tiff..
thanks DT and ExplorerZ, you both have cleared my doubt. now i understanding what's the diff.

thobs said:

i'm currently using fz20 and it allow me to shoot in tiff other than jpeg. i think most panasonic cam will have this.

the main advantage for tif is that you can save it in 16bit. This allows you to do more processing in photoshop.

But I still think raw is the best, smaller and higher quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.