Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2009
Upper Thomson

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The framing of the picture. Should I crop the image more tightly? Also, is the contrast between the silhouette and the background effective?

2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
My lady and I were on Patong Beach in Phuket and the strong backlighting from the setting sun, gorgeous cast of the sky and the intense joy she felt on being there resulted in this.

SeAnCoLd

Nov 10, 2008
Hi, the sillhouette of the subject is beautiful except for the messy hair. Beautiful soft colours of the sky makes a great backdrop. However, I feel that the background can be cleaner. The black mass of land on the left has somewhat merged with the subject. There's also a background object on the sea, to the right of the photo which is rather distracting.

Jan 14, 2010
A little bit of cloning to remove those undesired objects (island, boat) in the backdrop would, imho, make this stand out even more. Excellent work, dude.

Ian

Feb 20, 2002
Perth Australia
Not a bad effort, but it's fundamentally flawed in several ways.

Firstly the exposure is just about right, assuming you've not doctored it in PhotoShop too much. However the composition leaves a great deal to be desired. Ideally you need to increase the contrast a bit more to produce a more solid black silhouette as there is some brown on the left leg near the shin.

Firstly there's a ship between the womans hair and right leg, then the ship to the right. It's better to wait a couple of minutes till they are out of frame and then shoot, this will also help with more intense colours for the sunset. Second, the hair is fine, wildly flowing hair makes a shot like this more dynamic and also interesting. With that said her image is far too loose in the available space. This would really benefit from a tighter crop and the use of a much longer lens wide open.

Keep on experimenting and trying, you'll get there eventually. Remember to not only visualise the shot how you want it to appear but to check the background for distractions before pressing that shutter.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
if this was a spontaneous moment that you'd captured, congratulations.... i think its a great image

if it was posed.... yes, ditto Ian's comments above

the space above her ..... pity God was not kinder to you..... otherwise it would have been great...... so I'd opt to crop off a little off the top

again, love the 'moment'.

just curious....... is this image shot in portrait or in landscape (and then cropped) ?

Last edited:

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
nice compo. perhaps with a clean background of the sea/skies without the boats/the distant silhouette land which i thought might just merge into the character. u can also bring down the exposure to add abit more colors to the lovely hues of the day.

ryan

Feb 10, 2009
Upper Thomson
Sorry for the late reply, balik kampung for CNY. Thanks for the comments everyone! I'll take note of the pointers, especially what Ian said.

I have another question: I have two monitors on my desktop, a philips ips and a viewsonic pva. The image looks nice and rich with lots of pink in the sky on the philips but yes appears a little washed out on the viewsonic. I bought the philips because i intend to do print work in the future and so want colour accuracy, but i've begun to realise an image that looks good on the philips (and in print) may not appear so good on other screens. How could one compensate for this?

ed9119: It was spontaneous. I was testing my 7D's fps -grin-. No, it wasn't cropped Do you personally adhere to the 'rule of thirds' guidelines when you crop images?

laposto

Sep 29, 2009
www.pbase.com
nice capture but composition wise needs improvement. need to have a bit of drama in the sky and darken the subject a bit to create an impact. blend warm tones to the sky or other colors.. composition wise....too close to the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom