Journey with my 1st DSLR Begins~

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil_princess

Have been interested in photography for years, though it seems that I am usually in front of the camera more than behind it all these years....
But I am finally able to get my very first DSLR - Canon 450D. I am really elated! :lovegrin:

For starters, need to get some advise.

1. Is it a must to get a dry cabinet? I have done some search in the forum, and some mentioned using airtight containers with silica gel. However, if I plan to keep my camera for long, will this method be advisable? Cos after getting this camera, I have a budget to work around (Still a student). :(

2. There has been discussions about AIPO and Digihub cabinets around here. If AIPO is from Taiwan (and I am going there year-end), will getting it from there be any cheaper? IF so, does anyone has any info as to where I can get in in Taipei?

3. Please kindly provide more suggestions as to how to care for cameras. I think this is very important to me as I plan to keep my cammie for long :)

With that, I look forward to your advice.
Thank you! :D

Last edited:
I suggest you do a search. These topics has been discussed till death. ALternatively, you can google them as well.

Hi lil_princess,

Congrats on your new camera. Here are some answers to your queries:

1. Yup it is necessary especially in the humid weather of Singapore. You can use a dry box or tight container with silica gels, but you'll need to "refresh" the gels often. If you keep your camera in a 24-hr aircon environment, you can get by without a dry box, since the aircon dehumidifies the air.
2. Getting dry cabinet from Taipei? :bigeyes: Are you going to carry that back consider it's size?
3. Always use lens cleaning kit to clean your lens (blower and microfibre cloth). I would normally wipe down the camera and lens body after use, before keeping them inside the dry cabinet.

Cheers and have fun shooting.

Last edited:
Have been interested in photography for years, though it seems that I am usually in front of the camera more than behind it all these years....
But I am finally able to get my very first DSLR - Canon 450D. I am really elated! :lovegrin:

For starters, need to get some advise.

1. Is it a must to get a dry cabinet? I have done some search in the forum, and some mentioned using airtight containers with silica gel. However, if I plan to keep my camera for long, will this method be advisable? Cos after getting this camera, I have a budget to work around (Still a student). i don't think it's a MUST to get a dry cabinet, n i'm pretty sure a dry box will do fine, it's just more hassle to have to monitor the relative humidity and change/recharge silica gel regularly. recently bought a AIPO dry cabinet which basically is maintenance free, set the RH value n let it do it's job by itself

2. There has been discussions about AIPO and Digihub cabinets around here. If AIPO is from Taiwan (and I am going there year-end), will getting it from there be any cheaper? IF so, does anyone has any info as to where I can get in in Taipei? eh these dry cabinets are not exactly light or small, plus since there's glass u probably won't be checking it in so have to hand carry, also there's a issue w warranty, price diff i'm not sure though but both AIPO and Digicabi r not really that ex

3. Lens Hood: Necessary? No, but useful to have, if budget can get 3rd party ones rather than original Canon, google Lens Hood to know what it's used for n decide if u need them

3. What filters would you recommend for the lenses tha I have currently: 18-55mm IS and EF 50mm f/1.8 II? don't think got such thing as specific filter for specific lenses, except must get right size for u lens, google "camera filter" to know what filters are for and what different filters are there, usually people will get UV filter mainly to protect their lenses

4. For screen protecter, where to get it from? wa lao eh, u really need to ask this question? :dunno: Mustafa got sell confirm :bsmilie:

congrats on your buy! i just gotten mine yesterday as well ! also looking for dry cabinet and stuff!

I would definitely recommend you getting a dry cabinet. It's a really cheap and good $100 investment which protects your lens against thousands of dollars of repair work if your lens or camera kena fungus.

Thanks for all your advice.

I tried my camera just now, took some shots.
I think its difficult to get the apeture right. :(

It will be a slow learning process to get my basics right. :(

there is no money to be spent on film and developing so just shoot and post in gallery for comments to learn ?

The 450D is a reliable cam... Just don't worry about making mistakes but rather learn from them (it's digital so you can afford it), learn how to 'read' light that falls on your subject, find out how to read the histogram of your shots to begin understanding exposure, see more good pictures to understand the norms of good composition, and most important of all, be the closest of friends with your camera.

My mentor told me that only by understanding your camera's functionalities in a camera can you draw upon its true strengths =)

Wish you a smooth journey with the 450D.

pretty mm with DSLR...Swee :thumbsup:

welcome to the club....rem to SSS and BBB:devil:

I think the dry cabinet is cheap enough to get here, without having to carry it all the way back, that sounds like quite a chore! :eek:

100 plus bucks for equipment worth in the thousands sound like a small price to pay for protection.

Moreover hahaha it looks damn pro lor. hahaha ;)

I tried my camera just now, took some shots.
I think its difficult to get the apeture right. :(

It will be a slow learning process to get my basics right. :(

Hmm... not quite sure what you mean here. Are you shooting in Program mode, Aperture Priority mode, Shutter priority mode, or Manual mode? Also, since you're shooting at night, you'll need to turn on the flash, otherwise you'll get underexposed pics.

ed9119, yukikaze26 : Thanks for your advice!

chiangkxv: Thanks for the link! Really helps! :)

ziploc: I was shooting in my living room. Used AP and Manual. I still remembered that some of my shots turned out all blackish. :dunno:

stinkyboy: Thank God for your post. Reminded me to book one ASAP! Cos I am leaving for a trip in 2 weeks and I wanna bring my dslr along! (Though probably I need a crash course, otherwise I think I would have to resort using my digicam for 95% of my time during the trip! :sweatsm:

lil_princess said:
ed9119, yukikaze26 : Thanks for your advice!

chiangkxv: Thanks for the link! Really helps!

ziploc: I was shooting in my living room. Used AP and Manual. I still remembered that some of my shots turned out all blackish. :dunno:

stinkyboy: Thank God for your post. Reminded me to book one ASAP! Cos I am leaving for a trip in 2 weeks and I wanna bring my dslr along! (Though probably I need a crash course, otherwise I think I would have to resort using my digicam for 95% of my time during the trip! :sweatsm:

errr, you mean compact camera, perhaps?
If you're not yet confident with setting up the camera fully, you can use the P (program auto) mode and work from there. I think the 450D even has a fully-auto mode.
After you take a shot, review and look at the settings chosen by the camera. Learn from there through experimentation.
When you have some free time, mount camera on tripod or fix its position. Take a series of photos, changing 1 setting with each shot. Review and figure out what setting affects what aspect of the photo.

Hi lil_princess,

Firstly, congrats on getting 450D. I'm 450D user myself and I'm also still learning too.

Dun think u can sign up any course now since u travelling in 2 weeks time. I have 2 books on 450D which I think are quite good, I can borrow them to u if u need.

Check this link out too...
photoanswers.co.uk/Advice/Features/Features-Search-Results/Practical-Photography/Free-PDF-tips-cards/

Cheers!

ZerocoolAstra: Yes, I meant pns camera... Should I am unable to know the basics before I leave. Your suggestion is indeed brilliant! :)

dickson123: When I bought my 450D, I was given 2 book too.. Not sure if it will help me. Thanks for the link!

Keenblade: Yeah I booked days ago.. Was replying to stinkyboy's post. Managed to get a September slot! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.