joining the club

pewpewpew

Jul 25, 2010
hi all,

i am a total noob to photography of any sorts (except a PnS fujifilm z5) and im seriously considering a pentax k-x after reading rave reviews about it

i have also been reading articles in clubsnap so i am clearer on some points, this is what i arrive at, pls correct me if i am wrong

a. i am planning to buy a pentax k-x black in color kit 2 with the 200mm extra lens as i hope to do some landscape photography. 300mm would be post 1000 and quite unaffordable for me at this moment.

b. i understand that the last spotted cheapest dual kit 2 would be at SLRR @ $899. I will call them up later.

c. i understand that pentax uses batteries and i am hoping to get eneloop batteries to go along with it. besides batteries, which i can buy from the camera shop, i also hope to buy a dry cabinet, cleaning kit and a lens protector. may i know where to find cheap or second hand cabinets, batteries and lens protectors (will really quite short on budget after buying the dual kit2) besides clubsnap forums?

d. camera wise, i understand that there is the piorities mode (shutter, aperature) and manual mode. the manual modes, are they as customizable (can tweak the settings) as most other cameras? becus i mean i want to buy a DSLR because i hope to learn a DSLR and hopefully can how to set iso, aperature, shutter. i understand that focal length is determined by the lens my camera is using at the moment.

e. i understand that there is this "cross-processed" mode on pentax. i dont need that function at all and ive seen the sample pictures, i feel that hipstamatic on iphone can produce more spontaneous lomographic pictures. but its not a bother to me anyways.

f. however, i am very interested in black and white photogrpahy, especially face shots of humans in black and white. would b&w photog be a setting in dslrs or do i have to buy a special filter for it?

PhotoComplete268.jpg

(credits: http://www.robotnine.com/2009/03/beautiful-and-powerful-black-and-white.html)

g. i will join an outing to learn more from the pros here, but as of now, i will need to settle these questions before deciding to buy my pentax k-x :sweat:

thats all for the moment, thanks!

Great to know that you have done your research!

a) The kit 2 is the most value for $$$ kit, however, if you want to do landscape, a wide angle lens would be more suitable. Use the 18mm focal length for the kit lens and see if you need to upgrade later to a wider lens

b) Yes SLRR is my favourite shop, look for Ray who is a very helpful chap

c) I would advise you to get the powerex imedions batteries instead, it has a higher capacity then the eneloop and it hold charges well. Camp at the clubsnap buy'n'sell section for the items stated.

d) I would advise you to start using the Aperture priority mode for the time being. Read up on depth of field and see how to use it create more artistic photos

e) I don't really use it much as well :)

f) Yes you can do b/w on the kx, however, it's best to convert your photos to b/w in the post process so that at least you have the colour copy should it be not suitable for b/w. You don't need any physical filter to do it.

g) There's a outing coming this August! Join us!

You r early bro . Sun morn log on to cs .lol

hi Ts, as wat brian , he had cover most of the question. Addition info , For black n white On cam convertion , u can do it on the digital filter after u took a colour photo too .

i am a total noob to photography of any sorts (except a PnS fujifilm z5) and im seriously considering a pentax k-x after reading rave reviews about it

i have also been reading articles in clubsnap so i am clearer on some points, this is what i arrive at, pls correct me if i am wrong

Congrats on choosing a Pentax:)

a. i am planning to buy a pentax k-x black in color kit 2 with the 200mm extra lens as i hope to do some landscape photography. 300mm would be post 1000 and quite unaffordable for me at this moment.

Post 1000?Or do you mean past $1000?For landscape,i suggest you get a tripod too.

b. i understand that the last spotted cheapest dual kit 2 would be at SLRR @ $899. I will call them up later.

I think that since you are into landscape,why don't you get the 18-55 kit first and a decent tripod?Unless you need the zoom...

c. i understand that pentax uses batteries and i am hoping to get eneloop batteries to go along with it. besides batteries, which i can buy from the camera shop, i also hope to buy a dry cabinet, cleaning kit and a lens protector. may i know where to find cheap or second hand cabinets, batteries and lens protectors (will really quite short on budget after buying the dual kit2) besides clubsnap forums?

A basic Digi-Cabi 30L dry cabinet costs from $70(2nd hand) to $110(New).Comes with 5 years warranty too.Cleaning kit just get a blower and a lenspen which should cost less than $20(I don't think you need to get this 2nd hand).And lens protector i suppose its filter?A basic Hoya costs only $10-20,also don't need to get 2nd hand.

All above can get from the usual camera shops(There is a list of camera shops in CS,do a search)

d. camera wise, i understand that there is the piorities mode (shutter, aperature) and manual mode. the manual modes, are they as customizable (can tweak the settings) as most other cameras? becus i mean i want to buy a DSLR because i hope to learn a DSLR and hopefully can how to set iso, aperature, shutter. i understand that focal length is determined by the lens my camera is using at the moment.

Like Brian said,use apeture priority first(Av).

e. i understand that there is this "cross-processed" mode on pentax. i dont need that function at all and ive seen the sample pictures, i feel that hipstamatic on iphone can produce more spontaneous lomographic pictures. but its not a bother to me anyways.

???

f. however, i am very interested in black and white photogrpahy, especially face shots of humans in black and white. would b&w photog be a setting in dslrs or do i have to buy a special filter for it?

You can do it on the K-x.

g. i will join an outing to learn more from the pros here, but as of now, i will need to settle these questions before deciding to buy my pentax k-x :sweat:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736700

or

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=49

Good luck!:)

You r early bro . Sun morn log on to cs .lol

hi Ts, as wat brian , he had cover most of the question. Addition info , For black n white On cam convertion , u can do it on the digital filter after u took a colour photo too .

Haha ya lor. Slept early yesterday mah

hi all,

thats all for the moment, thanks!

Welcome New Pentaxian,;)
The small dry cabinets cabinets can be bought for $100 or less. You can try the usual places such as MS Color or cathay Photo and even Carrefour. But if you intend to increase your lenses porfolio (which you will due to lots of BBB virus here!), its better to spend more on a bigger one. At least an additional shelf on top of what you need now).

The less elegant way is a tupperware box with thirsty hippo but that is not suitable for long term storage.

On lens protectors, there are 2 schools of thought. if you are careful, you do not need it now but like insurance its always good to have one just in case you drop your lens or in a dirty environment. The cheaper UV filters are only $15 or so. You can start off with these and upgrade when you have more $$$ :D

The cheaper UV filters are only $15 or so. You can start off with these and upgrade when you have more $$$ :D

No point having UV filter on the kit lens since putting a cheap lousy one will only degrade image quality, and expensive one doesn't make economical sense. Even in the unlikely worst case that you scratch the lens, the kit lens is so cheap that you won't lose much value.

while we're on this subject, can can anyone clarify if its OK to use a skylight filter for lens protection? i was looking for the kenko protector but the shop was out of stock for the size i wanted and they recommended some old B+W skylight filters instead... i saw a slight magenta hue on the glass and didn't dare to buy in case there was a colour cast. :sweat:

granted that DSLRs are not as sensitive to UV light, unlike film and the auto WB does its work well most of the time, would using a skylight filter for "protection" affect IQ? :think:

No point having UV filter on the kit lens since putting a cheap lousy one will only degrade image quality, and expensive one doesn't make economical sense. Even in the unlikely worst case that you scratch the lens, the kit lens is so cheap that you won't lose much value.

hi

i am a kit lens user... i got a lousy emolux filter and it did degrade so much.. but i think it is still worth it to use a better filter.. the kit lens for canon is perhaps 200 plus... i think pentax kit lens will cost the same or even more (i tried pentax in cs live, the build is really very very good, i think it is best, but better not say so lah... don't wanna start a war)...

so using a filter to protect the kit lens still make sense i think

;p

In BNS Kit lens is cheap. PM me now and can give you for less. ;)

hi

i am a kit lens user... i got a lousy emolux filter and it did degrade so much.. but i think it is still worth it to use a better filter.. the kit lens for canon is perhaps 200 plus... i think pentax kit lens will cost the same or even more (i tried pentax in cs live, the build is really very very good, i think it is best, but better not say so lah... don't wanna start a war)...

so using a filter to protect the kit lens still make sense i think

;p

Sure, if using a filter gives you peace of mind, go ahead! Just don't use a crappy filter. Get a good one, if you need to you can sell it away. Buy a $10-$20 crap filter and you'll be stuck with it forever. Even if you upgrade (who upgrades filters anyway) it'll be sitting there and your money down the drain.

hi guys, after weeks of deliberation (and saving) i spent 1037 on my k-x kit today!! am officially a pentaxian

1. k-x black
2. 18-50mm, 50-200mm lenses
3. 2x hoya filter
4. eneloop batteries x 4

total: $1037, SLRR

im trying to read up on the basics but i think i got quite confused, hope to join the next outing to learn more!

i am VERY interested in black and white FACE photography... always inspired by those photogs who did face portraits in black and white.. anyone knows the best way to do that?

cheers, will be collecitng my digicab 50l analogue dry cabinet next week (what setting shld i set this to?)

I saw your hwz thread too! ignore the ignorant people there asking you why choose Pentax! Haha.

Check your mode dial got problem anot, mine got problem even tho i just bought it only! Haha. If only I noticed this problem on the spot in the shop. :S

Last edited:
I saw your hwz thread too! ignore the ignorant people there asking you why choose Pentax! Haha.

Check your mode dial got problem anot, mine got problem even tho i just bought it only! Haha. If only I noticed this problem on the spot in the shop. :S

haha ya facepalm even my family ask me why i choose pentax, they scared it end up like my previous previous digicam - vivitar (chui after 6 months)

thanks for heads up - just checked and my dial has no problems..

i am also looking for a cheapo bag/tripod.. spent all my money earned from tuition on this baby already, needa something 2ndhand and cheap

i also will be heading down to NLB@bugis to read some basic dslr book tomorrow, today read the instruction manual - totally catch no balls

dear fellow pentaxian noob, keep in touch, ya

haha ya facepalm even my family ask me why i choose pentax, they scared it end up like my previous previous digicam - vivitar (chui after 6 months)

i am also looking for a cheapo bag/tripod.. spent all my money earned from tuition on this baby already, needa something 2ndhand and cheap

i also will be heading down to NLB@bugis to read some basic dslr book tomorrow, today read the instruction manual - totally catch no balls

tell them because you wanna "be interesting" :D

read the manual first. u must understand how your equipment works. read and play with your camera for some time. dslr books can come later.

Hi fellow pentaxians! Can I just ask if there's any difference in buying analogue or digital dry cabinet?

hi guys, after weeks of deliberation (and saving) i spent 1037 on my k-x kit today!! am officially a pentaxian

1. k-x black
2. 18-50mm, 50-200mm lenses
3. 2x hoya filter
4. eneloop batteries x 4

total: $1037, SLRR

im trying to read up on the basics but i think i got quite confused, hope to join the next outing to learn more!

i am VERY interested in black and white FACE photography... always inspired by those photogs who did face portraits in black and white.. anyone knows the best way to do that?

cheers, will be collecitng my digicab 50l analogue dry cabinet next week (what setting shld i set this to?)

Digi-Cabi set the dial between the 12-1 o clock position for the usual(40-50% RH) setting:)

You need to have a BUDGET for accessories.If not some can recommend you $100 tripods or $1000 tripods.For camera bag,you need to decide whether you want a sling or backpack and a have a BUDGET too...

Congras on your new camera.
Go TK photo at Funan level 2 to look at the bags? think they have more variety there. Tripod take your time, u are into black and white photos mostly with portraits or landscape? IF more on portraits, tripod can take your time. Save up your money first.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544 try reading here for some photography notes? And also must read thru your manual, it's important as it tells you all about ur DSLR, reading basic books on dslr don't give a full feature as their acronyms maybe different for different systems.

Oh yah, anyone knows has SLR revo shift location? Heard they are moving to a bigger shop, if yes, then maybe there have more accessories to see liao :)

Last edited:
Congras on your new camera.
Go TK photo at Sim Lim Square level 3 to look at the bags? think they have more variety there. Tripod take your time, u are into black and white photos mostly with portraits or landscape? IF more on portraits, tripod can take your time. Save up your money first.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544 try reading here for some photography notes? And also must read thru your manual, it's important as it tells you all about ur DSLR, reading basic books on dslr don't give a full feature as their acronyms maybe different for different systems.

Oh yah, anyone knows has SLR revo shift location? Heard they are moving to a bigger shop, if yes, then maybe there have more accessories to see liao :)

thanks for the heads up people

im planning to budget about $20 for 2nd hand sling bag and maybe $40 for 2nd hand tripod

hope they are not chui kind, just 2nd hand from a careful owner who wants to upgrade.

will read thru the manuals,

SLR-revo will be moving 1 floor down. currently they're on the 5th.

and im very into black and white face portaits (primarily; of course im interested in other things also)

also interested in night scenery (HDB), and landscapes in general

Last edited: