Join me being a sucker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

longko

Sep 7, 2006
Balestier
I just made a purchase for a new old vivitar s1 105mm (made by Kiron) for US$215 (with shipping). The guy has 1 more left, if anyone interested I'll pm you the url.:)

I'm just a sucker for "new" vintage macro lens:bsmilie: Hope it arrives soon;p

:eek:
$300 for Series 1??? Oh man... Wish i have the moolah like you...
Enjoy the lens when it arrive... ;)

More crazy than the stock market for old lens like this!

More crazy than the stock market for old lens like this!

I read back in 1990, this lens was sold at US$400. But now a lot of Pentax mount vintage prices all gone mad liao:confused: Waiting to see if the DA* lenses can adjust the prices of older star lenes:)

lonko, I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm using a manual focus Vivitar 100mm f3.5 macro. It looks cheap but the image quality is tops. Sadly I feel many photographers who have started out this hobby rely too much on auto focusing because they haven't dabbled in manual focusing enough. Because of this there is a tendency to shy away from older lenses that lack AF. I think they are missing out a wider option of lenses as Pentax bodies are backward compatible.

Best macros are MF ones;) But in a way I'm like kenna chop carrot head, $335 for an old MF lens when I can get the Sigma 105mm with AF and better CA control at $580:bsmilie:

Ah, but how many people can get their hands on a Vivitar Series 1? A Sigma for a little more but that crinkle finish...:think:

lonko, I don't think you're crazy at all. I'm using a manual focus Vivitar 100mm f3.5 macro. It looks cheap but the image quality is tops. Sadly I feel many photographers who have started out this hobby rely too much on auto focusing because they haven't dabbled in manual focusing enough. Because of this there is a tendency to shy away from older lenses that lack AF. I think they are missing out a wider option of lenses as Pentax bodies are backward compatible.

Tell that to the gearheads who think that AFS and VR on the new Nikkor 105 Micro is the best thing since sliced bread.

There is absolutely no need for AFS and VR on a macro lens.

I just made a purchase for a new old vivitar s1 105mm (made by Kiron) for US$215 (with shipping). The guy has 1 more left, if anyone interested I'll pm you the url.:)

I'm just a sucker for "new" vintage macro lens:bsmilie: Hope it arrives soon;p

Congrats on the new lens. Now how many macro lenses you've got already :D

Next time you should be looking for a Pentax SMC A* 200/4 macro, A100/2.8 macro or at least the A50/2.8 macro ;)

The superb 200/4 macro (if you can find someone crazy enough to part with it) is on my wish list but the way prices for 100mm Pentax mount macros are going on eekBay, I'm not hopeful it will come cheap...:eek:

Congrats on the new lens. Now how many macro lenses you've got already :D

Next time you should be looking for a Pentax SMC A* 200/4 macro, A100/2.8 macro or at least the A50/2.8 macro ;)

Thanks. This is only the 2nd 1:1 macro;) Don't think I'll go for star lens, need a good deal at the vivitar 2x macro converter 1st (Last one traded for US$70+:confused:). At those price, I'll rather look at the Voigtlander:) Anyway, does the old pentax A* goes to 1:1? I recall they are 1:2, though could be wrong.

Thanks. This is only the 2nd 1:1 macro;) Don't think I'll go for star lens, need a good deal at the vivitar 2x macro converter 1st (Last one traded for US$70+:confused:). At those price, I'll rather look at the Voigtlander:) Anyway, does the old pentax A* goes to 1:1? I recall they are 1:2, though could be wrong.

Yes, the A*200/4 macro and A100/2.8 macro do 1:1 macro, but the A50/2.8 is a 1:2 macro. All are great macro lenses. I've had the A100/2.8 and A50/2.8 before, sold them off in favor of newer DFA100 macro lens. But might get an A50/2.8 back someday ...

Yes, the A*200/4 macro and A100/2.8 macro do 1:1 macro, but the A50/2.8 is a 1:2 macro. All are great macro lenses. I've had the A100/2.8 and A50/2.8 before, sold them off in favor of newer DFA100 macro lens. But might get an A50/2.8 back someday ...

Thanks. Something I like about Pentax lens over Sigma & Tamron is Pentax are normally brighter:) As for 50mm I'm happy with FA 50mm f1.2 with vivitar +10 macro adapter:)

Here's a 100% top cropped of the raw. (no USM applied)
imgp3576cnl7.jpg

Just like creampuff said above, this is the FA100/3.5 version, it was designed and possibly produced by Cosina (www.cosina.com), but with genuine Pentax electronics and Pentax SMC coating. It's a much cheaper version than the FA100/2.8, and it only has 1:2 mag ratio. It used be sold for around US$100 or less only, but the price certainly went up alot (thanks to the strong sale of the K100D and K10D :think: )

Bro, that's the f3.5 version, the same as my Vivitar macro. There was one sold at US$199 new less a while back. Besides, Henry's is a Canadian company = pricey shipping, plus they don't accept Paypal.:thumbsd:

Bought a couple of stuff from Henry before, paid by credit card (they'll send you a link to make payment securely after the auction ends). Very smooth transactions, great services too. I kinda like it. The shipping fee is indeed abit high, but not unreasonable I think.

Sorry see wrongly:bsmilie: My eyes see too much reads and greens liao till blur blur.

Bro, maybe you see too much money closeup...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.