Johor Bahru Malaysia not a safe place to go anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is apparent from your post that JB is a pretty dangerous place to be. The key problem is that the economy in this region has not recovered. Unemployment in the neighbouring countries is still high. Illegal immigrants who cannot find work will find Johore is a cherry orchard with the Singaporeans as the more easily identifiable targets with more cash in their pockets.

It is good to understand how and where they operate. Do not go JB in this season if possible.

The equations adds up to me as :

parang ready + simultaneous motor bike gone + wide open public area = pretty organised and audoacious criminals.

tOGGY said:
The equations adds up to me as :

parang ready + simultaneous motor bike gone + wide open public area = pretty organised and audoacious criminals.

Well, they do come up with other tactics once in a while too. Got to be careful when you are over there. The crooks there will rob anyone who are easy targets, even the locals there are not spared. Trust me, i have seen how my JB friends are attacked in the early morning by robbers. The robber(s) will resort to violence if you fight back and they would not care if they have to chop you to pieces...sounds scary isn't it..

I just watched on Malaysia TV1, an Indonesian man was caught while trying to steal a motorcycle in broad daylight and busy street by the owner in Kuala Lumpur.

The next case was a mamak prata stall was attacked by a customer who did not want to pay up his debt. The sad part was that the other 20 customers took the opportunity to steal the mamak stall cash.

Even the Malaysian are saying that the crime rate is going up.

forget about cheap petrol , ciggys and food

better don't drive in to JB,easily recognised target for them.They may feel singaporean are rich but most don't alot of cash in.
Be careful especially the festive season.

zaxh81 said:
better don't drive in to JB,easily recognised target for them.They may feel singaporean are rich but most don't alot of cash in.
Be careful especially the festive season.

There are malaysian who drive singapore registered cars also.

The most dangerous place is also the safest place.

You can go to the gangster controlled areas where the KTVs and nightlife are.
Looks like the Police are not able to control JB crime.
But the gangsters can and must be able to control their "turf".

The small time robbers and drug addicts stay away.
They know what the gangsters will do to them if they spoil the show and frigthen away their KTV/nightclub/nightlife customers.
Gangsters do not talk human rights.

i have friend who is a malaysian driving a spore registered cars also been targeted.that was about afew year ago...

I recently came back from Vietnam & feel safer there then Malaysia.
Just my view. No offence to Malaysia friends here.

ricohflex said:
The most dangerous place is also the safest place.

You can go to the gangster controlled areas where the KTVs and nightlife are.
Looks like the Police are not able to control JB crime.
But the gangsters can and must be able to control their "turf".

The small time robbers and drug addicts stay away.
They know what the gangsters will do to them if they spoil the show and frigthen away their KTV/nightclub/nightlife customers.
Gangsters do not talk human rights.

:bigeyes:

Any other streetwise words to share?

as a malaysian driving a singapore car in KL, i've not met with any trouble in my 5 months staying there.

albeit i've heard alot of stories but not seen anything myself.

i've always felt safe and the best part is can park without paying at public carparks cuz they dont fine singapore cars :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Try not to access your cash at the ATM machines. If you have to....do then at some crowded shopping mall but not in those outside areas. Each time I go in to JB at times my boss need to get more cash and I end up playing bodyguard. We both try to park the car as near as possible, get out of the car, lock it and go to the ATM together. Watching his back when he draws cash. I do notice alot of people watching not just us but wandering around all the ATM machines even in the broad daylight.

Just drove in last saturday, everything seems well not much of a traffic jam also, guess it's because singaporeans aren't actively going in anymore. Anyway did some shopping, had some food and then left by 6, park in the open carparks pay a bit more for those at hotels etc, they do have security guards checking out the cars once a while.

espn said:
Just drove in last saturday, everything seems well not much of a traffic jam also, guess it's because singaporeans aren't actively going in anymore. Anyway did some shopping, had some food and then left by 6, park in the open carparks pay a bit more for those at hotels etc, they do have security guards checking out the cars once a while.

Next time you could try the car washing there too for M$10, usually i shop for 3-4 hrs before i got pick up.. save the parking fees and also get the car clean.. i usually go to the one opposit holiday plaza.:thumbsup:

soma said:
Next time you could try the car washing there too for M$10, usually i shop for 3-4 hrs before i got pick up.. save the parking fees and also get the car clean.. i usually go to the one opposit holiday plaza.:thumbsup:
Nah... I don't mind spending the $ to park at hotels... heehee.. after that I travel via taxi will do :)

Funny thing is i never bring camera to take any photo there although i alway go there..never come across my mind..:eek:

soma said:
Funny thing is i never bring camera to take any photo there although i alway go there..never come across my mind..:eek:
Me neither... :bsmilie:

espn said:
Me neither... :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: must remember to bring the next time..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.